Living room makeover
clburley
July 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a hunter green sofa and love seat that I can't afford to reupholster. I hate slip covers from past bad experiences with them. What can I do to update?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Vivian
Scottish plaid says rustic hunting lodge to me, so I would go with a hunter green wall, great lighting and new window dressings bringing in a subtle print to minimize the sofas and pull the eyes toward the window wall as your most beautiful feature. You could just drape to the side to minimize blocking the light but since your TV is there if the window is a distraction you might hang the whole wall so you can close them. I would consider replacing the painting over the sofa with an old tapestry.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 6:44AM
Vivian
forgot the drape sample. You might also get a wall color from this by going with a lighter shade of rust instead of the hunter green but I like the contrast.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 6:44AM
msmliss
I, too, think of rustic woodland cabins when I see hunter plaids. I'd paint the walls in a warm caramel, or similar, as I cannot see a detail close-up of your plaid to see all of the colors in it. I just think the walls are too light and that's what pulls your room apart visually. Dark fabrics and too light walls. A warmer wall color that is a contrast to the hunter would wrap your room in a cozy feel and
pull everything together. Good Luck.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 8:20AM
decoenthusiaste
I'd start an ideabook with traditional cabin and lodge pix to inspire. You can go wild with plaid!
Hampton Classic
Traditional cabin
2 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 8:25AM
motownmom
I agree with the recommendations above. Also, I'd get rid of the individual rugs in front of each seat and get one larger one for the middle of the room. You could keep the braided rug look, but something with the colors in the room would go with the rustic feel if you want to go that route.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 8:32AM
Vivian
Wow, decoenthusiates, great pictures. Love them both, so different with the one going county as a great example where adding more and different plaids and checks actually balance the chairs. Really superb embracing the plaid. Any Scotsman would be proud. It really draws attention to the fact that minimizing the other furnishings actually make the plaid bolder.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 8:53AM
msmliss
clburley, have you considered moving the furniture? I cannot see the wall between the light recliner and the loveseat, and wonder if I should assume that's your front door in the window photo, and if your cable hook up must keep your tv in that front corner... While it appears that your recliners are the "go to" pieces daily, have you ever placed them where the loveseat is? I'd put the larger of your tables, the one in front of the window between the recliners, with the lamp on it and the small one between them now in front of the window--moved a bit more toward the tv so that the rocker moves away from the door entrance. Another thought about wall color...the two other main colors in your plaid appears to be a dark taupe and a warm terra cotta. Going warmer on your walls you need to answer if you want a more subdued neutral--go with taupe--or a livelier color--go into your terra cotta family. Change out the pillows for one or the other of the two.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 9:21AM
decoenthusiaste
Thanks, Vivian! I was surprised by that plaid room when I found it. Quite well done.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 10:37AM
PRO
Amy Wax
I think the plaid is a challenge, but it's a good challenge! I love the rustic direction with the richer colors. I would suggest photographing the plaid with the Color911 app and pull the colors out of the photo to create your own palette. Once you have your colors you can shop for accent colors, a matching paint color, a color for an accent piece, whatever you need. It's a great tool, check it out: Color911.com
3 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 2:27PM