What is the best way to combine a home office with a guest room?
tudorvan
I want my home office to double as a guest room (when needed). The room is 10' X 12'. I'm looking for ideas.
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
a popular choice is to have a daybed or hide-a-bed in office which can be transformed into comfortable bed for guests, and a desk which can be cleared/hidden during visit.
some have done that by placing office in clothes cupboard, door can be closed on office. Unless guest staying for a long visit, they often do not need a cupboard - a chest of drawers & some hooks will suffice for unpacking.

what did U have in mind?
July 8, 2013 at 10:49am     
I have image of daybed in a bedroom, which could easily become office, with a few changes, and a bedroom with built in bed & desk. Maybe these will give U some inspiration.
July 8, 2013 at 10:53am   
tudorvan
Sharon, thank you for your comment. I've looked at putting two twin beds in there - but the room isn't very large. Also - then it becomes primarily a bedroom and my office gets lost. I've looked at daybeds but I don't think that will sleep adults comfortably. I'm thinking I have to go with a sleeper and have looked on line at American Leather/Upholstery - pricey but may be necessary. Any recommendations for sleeper brands??? Thank you, Lynne
July 8, 2013 at 10:54am     
OnePlan
hi. A Murphy bed will simply disappear when not in use as a bed ! Might work well to give you a good sized office and then like magic - a guest room when required !
July 8, 2013 at 11:47am     
jcorn1
Hi- there was a lot of input on a question about a home office/bedroom combo here, might be of interest? Ideas you could use? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/548179/Help--good-start-but-guest-room-and-office.

We have a Murphy bed and bookcase combo, love it. Photos at that discussion show the bed both open and hidden. It is a real bed, with a real (not made just for Murphy bed) mattress. It is heavenly.

When closed, you have a dedicated office or library. I am all about multi-functional rooms.when closed, you have 4 generous bookcases! For smaller rooms, you can get units with only 2 shelves and perhaps a single or twin bed behind them.

I wanted to add that the photo of,the bed when opened is distorted and it is larger than it appears and easily accommodates 2 people with room to spare.

I used to have a desk under the window, a very compact desk, which was equally desirable for guests (using laptop, writing). But it is temporarily relocated to allow a grand baby's crib to fit when necessary.
July 8, 2013 at 11:50am   
tudorvan, my pleasure. Other option which has now been mentioned is a murphy bed. That would fit in cupboard, instead of office. There are actually a fair number of options.
The day bed from IKEA is quite comfortable. It is black bed in 1st pic I sent you. Pulls out to king size bed.

Focus on priorities for your office first, then guestroom, keeping in mind office needs to disappear or be mobile while guests are in room.
July 8, 2013 at 1:21pm     
jcorn1
You can buy DIY plans online or ( budget permitting) invest in a pre-made Murphy bed bookcase or cabinet. We bought ours ready made. See photos. That isn't our exact bookcase or decor in the first pic but it is about the same, only slightly different.

The bonus? Lots of new storage space, for file cabinets, accessories, books, etc. Sorry for amateur pics. We are still tweaking the decor.

In case the photos aren't clear, the two middle cases are in front of the two on the far left and right. They middle cases slide in front of the back two...and the bed folds down very easily. The photo with the bed down show how the bed seems surrounded by 2 bookcases ( the other 2 aren't visible when the bed is down).

And nothing falls off the shelves. It glides that easily. So I don't have to remove anything.
July 8, 2013 at 2:08pm   
0825sam
We have a home office guest room and plan to add a sleeper sofa. I like the look of a sofa in the office and we don't have many overnight guests (most family is local) so I prefer for it to look like an office not a bedroom.
Like the Murphy bed idea also.
July 8, 2013 at 2:16pm     
Need help combining guest room and home office
I will be working from home full-time and the best...
Without an extra room for a home office, what is the best room for one?
My house is a straight walk through. Entryway, dining,...
Living room dining room combination. Best way to divide?
Dividing living room dining room with pullsrsv
Need ideas for my home office/music room/guest room.
My walls are a butter yellow - with a dark brown accent...
Home office / craft room / guest room
This may be beyond help, but I thought I would try....
Does anyone know what the name of this stone is?
I love this façade, but don't know who makes it or...
Large remodel - go tankless or keep existing hot water heater
Our current hot water heater will work for our addition...
Need help with baby room colors!!
I love eclectic bright baby rooms. I want my baby girls...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need a cheap way to update this pink bathroom
I just bought an old home badly in need of updating....