How can I improve the exterior look of my home?
Andrea Koral
I need help! I would love to make the outside of my home more appealing. I plan to paint the front door and shutters and landscape but would love a few other practical ideas. Thank you !
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
The colours of paint you choose can make a big difference. Looks like house is red brick with grey? lt green? shutters? and white door? Can't make out whether you have front porch or not? Is there a walk to front door?

Maybe you can post a few more pix so we can see full layout?

Few points in meantime:
paint shutters a darker color so they stand out more; paint front door a unique colour which says welcome. If you have a garage, the door should be painted the same colour as body of house so it does not stand out.

If there is not path to front door, consider creating one with brick, large piece of cement, slate tile - whatever your budget can handle.

Change out light fixtures to work with new paint colours and stand out more. Could have light post at edge of lot, lighting path to door.

Landscaping will soften the hard edges of house - an evergreen hedge in front, at each side. A flowering tree on front lawn.
July 8, 2013 at 11:14AM   
Andrea Koral
Thank you! I will add more pics soon... we close on the house in August :) it is red brick with grey right now. White door. There is a concrete path leading to the house that I would like to make decorative with brick or stone (pic). The garage is painted the same color as the brick currently. Can you recommend a color for the shutters? I was thinking of doing a green color for the front door. (see pic). what about adding pillars or molding around the front door? Can I do that or do i have to add white in some place else if I do that?
July 8, 2013 at 11:36AM     
2taniya
Have you considered adding matching window boxes to the right hand side of the house (the bigger section) that would match the window boxes over on the left where there is a little porch? The front porch porch needs a pot or flag or statue to stand out more.
July 8, 2013 at 11:44AM   
houssaon
What is on the second story? I think a big improvement would to add windows in line with the ones on the first floor.
July 8, 2013 at 11:49AM     
What material is your roof?
July 8, 2013 at 11:54AM   
Andrea, you have the right ideas. I look forward to seeing some more pix.
What would like very nice over the door is a portico (small roof), which would give the entrance more oooomph! I can't tell what size porch is & whether you would have sufficient room for portico; however that is where the pillars could come in. A curving walkway would be charming.
Colours, I keep thinking black or espresso brown for shutter to make them stand out against the brick.

Front door - currently appears to have screen/storm door in front of it? Would you want to keep it? Can it be painted?
July 8, 2013 at 1:36PM     
Andrea Koral
The storm door (I believe) had already been removed. I like the idea of black for the shutters.

The porch needs to be torn out because it is in need of repair and the step is too high... A curving path that leads up to a rounded brick porch? Do I do a red brick path and porch to coordinate with the house or use another type of stone to contrast?

I love the roof idea..with pillars next to it.. Can I make the pillars white though when there is nothing else white? Or black to match the shutters?

Thank you so much for your comments. I so so appreciate the help!
July 10, 2013 at 7:35AM   
Judy M
I have a similar house (vacation rental home near beach),
This is what we did.
Sorry I am on my phone and can't add photos from the web site but here is link.
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p112750
July 10, 2013 at 8:09AM     
I am no landscape expert; however I don't think you need to co-ordinate path material with porch? Someone in this line may correct me. You want to use complementary materials and colours.

The pillars can be painted work with other house colours.
July 10, 2013 at 8:10AM     
Judy M
Here are photos of the foundation plantings around front and sides of the house for landscaping ideas.
July 10, 2013 at 8:13AM     
Andrea Koral
Judy- thank you for all the photos. I am new to houzz and feel so grateful for all of the help! The exterior of your rental is cute. What is it that you have around the front door? (The black) I can't tell but I like that it ties in with the shutters.
July 10, 2013 at 7:20PM   
sstarr
I like the idea of these little dormers on your house. Also, some white trim at the corners, and more around the door would be positive, in my opinion.
July 10, 2013 at 8:27PM     
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Dormers would certainly look better as sstarr93 above said but I think I would use a more traditional one. I would remove shutters and add some wider trim around the windows . I love your color selections .The recessed area on the left side of your house is not visible enough to make suggestions. Is this just a part of the house that juts out or is it the garage/driveway area ? Window boxes on the lower windows would make your house look more cottage-like.
July 11, 2013 at 10:05AM   
sstarr
Here are shed dormers plus flowerboxes... ;-)
July 11, 2013 at 6:21PM   
sstarr
And finally, here are the gable dormers, flowers, trim, on your background
July 12, 2013 at 7:50PM     
reptileaddiction
Your landscaping looks very nice ad like it was well maintained. I would expand it though and add some small evergreen shrubs such as the cone shaped ones. I also agree with the fore mentioned idea of a small flowering tree in the yard. You could also do an evergreen tree in the front with a bed surrounding it with flowers and other perennials. I also agree with the portico above a patio. You could also add a bench and some hanging baskets with some annual flowers.
July 12, 2013 at 9:06PM   
How can I improve the front exterior of my home?
I love my home but the front is very boxy and plain....
How to improve exterior of my home?
Tell me how you would spruce up my home...what colors...
How to improve exterior of my home?
I need Ideas to improve the look of my home. flower bed ideas. Thanks
I would appreciate ideas to improve the looks of our...
Choosing a carpet color
I have another post about complimentary fabrics to...
Affordable alternative to European White Oak Engineered flooring
We've been searching everywhere for an engineered floor...
Need help deciding what color woodflooring to get for the kitchen.
We have dark brown cabinets and tile flooring in the...
What color furniture should I use for this two tone blue room?
My entire house was a silver gray, and I was desperate...
Need help with the color of our sectional
Hi Fellow Houzzers!!! We decided that a sectional...