Who should we consult?
midcenturychiq
July 8, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently moved into our house and are planning to make some small changes, inside and out. We have an Eichler and would like to preserve its design, "spirit," and architectural integrity. We noticed that there are many types of professionals available and we're trying to decide who is the best type for our needs (architects versus designers).

Outdoors, we'd like to make our pool area safe for kids (we'll need to put up a new fence or cover), perhaps remove a large tree, and create a plan for how to use the yard space based on our needs, what plants to plant, etc. We're also wondering how we can spruce up the facade of our house Should we be working with a landscape designer, a landscape architect, both, or someone else entirely? What are the benefits and drawbacks of working with a designer versus an architect? Do landscape architects work on small projects?

Indoors, we'd like to remodel a master bedroom, a bathroom, and a laundry room. We need help figuring out the layout to make sure that the "flow" works in terms of usability and the Eichler design. Would you recommend working with an architect for a small project? Is there a minimum scale project that architects are willing to take on? What are the benefits and drawbacks of working with an architect? Or should we work with someone in a different role?

Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houssaon
Whether you decide on an architect or a designer make sure that they are sensitive to the mid-century design, specifically Eichler. I think a landscape designer and architects will take on small jobs that are interesting. Why not?

If you select Eichler for different rooms, you will find good ideas for your space. Love the sinks in this Eichler remodel: Lucas Valley Eichler. Check out the other photos for the house.

This project also has interesting photos: Palo Alto | Eichler | Bathroom and exterior painting.

How cool is this: Palo Alto | Eichler | Bathroom Remodel. I like how the WC is separate from the vanity.

Love these kitchens: Palo Alto | Eichler | Whole House Remodel, Klopf Architecture - Kitchen Island, Gary Hutton Lagoon House.

I would search "Eichler" in the different categories in Houzz photos that you are interested in. You'll find a lot of inspiration. Perhaps a pro on one of the spaces will be in your area.

Good luck!
July 8, 2013 at 4:38pm   
feeny
I agree. What's crucial is that you hire someone who is knowledgable about Eichler's architectural style and historical importance, and who won't do anything to deform your beautiful house. I think this is most likely to be an architect for the renovations.
July 8, 2013 at 4:42pm   
PRO
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
Note, the best way to make a pool area safe is to remove it.

The professional you choose for your home design has more to do with the person rather than the profession. Many architects and designers take on small projects - don't be afraid to ask, even if their websites show only large projects. A great way to communicate your desires and needs is by creating an ideabook. Here are 1000 images with the keyword Eichler to select from: http://www.houzz.com/eichler
Houzz will give various hints for the keyword midcentury as well.

Here are a couple of YouTubes I made of 3 of Bill's mid-century projects. Two are faithful to the mid-century modern aesthetic, one is not:

:) Rhoda http://www.billfryconstruction.com/
July 17, 2013 at 7:52pm   
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Living room ideas!
Hi all! Here's our living room. I would love ideas...
Staging for house sale
We are getting ready to put our house up for sale....
Need kitchen countertop help
Can you use two different granite colors in the kitchen?...
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™