My 70's kitchen
Michelle
I need help!! The kitchen in narrow and avocado in color. I need to update it on a budget!! Any ideas? The dining room is connected and I have tore up the carpet in the kitchen already. This is not my table, mine is just round with leather chairs. PLEAS HELP!!!
westmanmarine
Painting the cabinets and changing the hardware would make a huge difference. I would paint them white or antique white. Take one of the cabinet handles into your hardware store and try to find one that has the same placement for the screw holes so you don't have to re-do that. It looks like you have laminate counters. If you wanted to save money there, you could have the counters resurfaced...probably cost around $200 since you don't have too much counter space. They can resurface and change the color to a beige, grey, or black. I would also remove the wall paper and paint a neutral color, and paint over any dated wood (trim/door/etc.) with a nice clean white color. Can't tell what the flooring is in the kitchen, but if you were looking at changing that, linoleum is a more affordable product. I really like Marmoleum, which is a more durable hard linoleum that comes in a ton of different color options. I used it in my old house in the mud room, but have seen it in kitchens, too, and I love it. New appliances would be nice, but if not in the budget, you could make it cute by adding some pops of avocado or yellow in your decor.
2 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 8, 2013 at 1:20PM
Michelle
The floor was brown outdoor carpet and I ripped it up and it has a linoleum brick look. I have nothing on the counter but a microwave. I moved the portable dishwasher to the right side of the door in pic#2, and changed the curtains.
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 1:26PM
felixgrantham
You can Krylon paint the DW & fridge & stove hood white to match your counters.
Until you have funds to replace the stove & sink, you're stuck. Maybe see if you can find a stove with slight imperfection on sale? Stainless sinks are pretty cheap - you should be able to afford that now.

Paint the cabinets. Any neutral color you like that coordinates with the white.
Change the hardware.

Pull down all of the wallpaper. Texture & paint the wall in the dining area. If you can afford it, cover backspash with do-it-yourself tile.

Let us see how it turns out!
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 8, 2013 at 1:26PM
Casey Tomlinson
I might remove the carpet, tile the floor, repaint the cabinets and if there some budget left, I might add some backsplash in your kitchen. Something like this:
http://www.glasstilestore.com/skin/frontend/enterprise/eastgate/gallery-image/brio_zodiac_blend_1x3_glass_tiles_2_.jpg
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 1:29PM
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
when U say the DR is connected, are the kitchen & dining room open to each other? or is there a wall between them?
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 8, 2013 at 1:44PM
scaplan
Can we see your dining table and curtain choice? You are asking us to help you change a room that doesn't look like this anymore, so it's hard to do. For sure you can paint those cabinets (and the door and the dining room paneling) white and get new hardware for the cabinets (and the door), though!
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 8, 2013 at 1:58PM
motownmom
I really kind of like that refrigerator, but it looks like a mint green instead of avocado, maybe the picture color isn't accurate. If it's mint green, I'd keep it that color. If it's avocado, then yes, paint it white.

Since you are going to be redoing everything from scratch, what colors and style do you like? The cabinets will have a flat face on them unless you know someone handy enough to attach moldings to the doors to make them look more custom. Is the backsplash only behind the stove, and the rest of the area under the cabinets is wallpaper? That's what it looks like. You don't have to backsplash the rest of the area if you don't want to go to that expense. I just used a paintable wallpaper that looks like tin ceiling tiles and painted it white for my backsplash.

Strip all the wallpaper and decide on a color you like. If other rooms in the vicinity have a particular color, then you'd at least want that color picked up somewhere in the rooms. We can give you budget friendly ideas of what to do, but you need to decide on what style/color you want. Cabinets can be painted. Houzz has a DIY ideabook on it. It's time consuming, but not hard.
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 8, 2013 at 2:10PM
Michelle
No, there is no wall between the kitchen n dinning. It may be a mint green color, but it still got to go. Wallpaper can go, yes. Pics of current space tomorow. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will definitely use them and more as I go.
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 4:53PM
nwduck
Michelle, going for really low budget suggestions here. (While you save up for new appliances, at least.) I would get some Murphy's Oil soap cleaner, get your elbow grease on and really clean all the cabinets. This might improve the look of them. I've also used a product called Liquid Gold on clean older wood cabinetry. It's kind of smelly when you put it on, but gives a shine to them. New hardware would not be costly and a good update. You might consider getting an inexpensive rectangular rug, and stick it to the floor with carpet tape if it doesn't have a non-slip backing already. For the side of the green fridge that faces your dining room, what about putting up a large (but lightweight!) framed rectangular print that incorporates some of the green, but also other colors? If the piece is light enough, velcro around the edges is magic. That surface behind your stove sort of looks like these very thin metal backsplash pieces they did in houses of this age. (My sister had one in copper behind her stove.) If you mask off the area around it, clean it well, and give it a light sanding, for a $7 can of spray paint made for metal you could at least change the color until you decide to do tiling. It might blend in better.
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 9, 2013 at 1:01AM
Michelle
Thanks a lot. The back splash behind the stove is like a tile, I would have to hammer it off. I wish it was a tin like material.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:04AM
yanashey
I have a 70's kitchen as well, i'm in the process of painting the cabinet white with "rustoleum cabinet transformation" cabinet painting kit. It has a lot of color options and most cost effective way to paint the cabinets. As for the countertop, you can paint them too rustoleum and giani make counterop paints, or you can change it out for another laminate options (they've come along way). Home depot & ikea have pretty good and affordable options. Change the hardware ikea has a lot for the lowest cost, home depot has some great vinyl floorin options (check trafficmaster allure series). "Smart tiles" offers peel and stick tile for backsplash. A lot of styles/colors, easy installation. Good luck !
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 9, 2013 at 6:21AM
motownmom
You can get tin-tile looking plastic sheets at the home improvement stores. I think they are about 18x18 inches, come in various finishes. If you want to have it all around under the counters, not just behind the stove, you'd have to remove the tile already there to get an even look. But these plastic sheets are glued on with construction adhesive.
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 9, 2013 at 7:04AM
Michelle
Current look
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 10:22AM
Michelle
Before and after, but before the upgrades
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 10:23AM
Michelle
I'm thinking Italian, pasta, wine, peaches, brown leather, a curtain change for sure, hard wood flooring in kitchen n din, no wall ing room no wall paper.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:23PM
Michelle
I will add a border or trim to the cabinets n paint.....
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:23PM
Michelle
Need a cheap floor installer
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:24PM
Michelle
I will get a new frig this week
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:24PM
Michelle
The stove will be a problem I think because its controlled by the vent hood so its eletric not gas and I wanted gas
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:28PM
Michelle
Curtain color is what I can do tomorrow, so an Italian feel would
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:30PM
Michelle
Be what color?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:30PM
nwduck
Michelle, even if you had a gas stove, you still need a vent hood, unless you buy one that has a pop up ventilator that you have to have done by a professional so exhaust goes downward and out of the house. What if you painted the walls a peach/apricot color? That could look quite nice with the wood cabinets and your brown furniture, and not necessarily bad with the brown tile behind the stove (sorry it wasn't the can-be-painted metal!). There is a good tutorial article on Houzz written by painters that talks about painting cabinets as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 9, 2013 at 7:40PM
Michelle
Ok electric. Ill check it out. Would a peach colored wall make me an Italian feel?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:54PM
nwduck
Sure! Google "Italian village paintings" and look at the colors. In Italy, it's the quality of the light and building materials that makes golden tones/terra cotta/reds/peaches/olive greens, dark brown timbers such a classic scheme when people think of Italy. Even your "golden brick pattern" floor may not be that far off. hahaha.

Electric stoves are not all bad, and are certainly affordable. Running gas lines, etc. is not a small undertaking. They also make microwave/range vent combos. Range underneath, the micro/vent mounts above. You would need to check the clearance between your stove top and bottom of the microwave to see if this is an option. Open the cabinet above your hood. Is it totally open? Or does it look like there is a big metal tube venting out? (Sometimes these are boxed in with wood to match the cabinets.) That will tell you if you have a vented or non-vented hood right now.
0 Likes   Thanked by Michelle    July 9, 2013 at 9:11PM
Michelle
I have the metal tube inside the cabinet, will check that option too!
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 5:43AM
My mother's 70's kitchen is stuck in the past, suggestions?
As much as this tiny kitchen served five children well...
Help me escape my 70's kitchen!
Help! I am in design distress with my 70s kitchen....
Need Help for my 70's kitchen!
Hi there - I am the new owner of a '71 ranch and am...
Need help with my bathroom(s). They are tiny and "stuck in the 70's"
They are covered in "tiny tiles", have plastic dropped...
Need help modernising 70s build kitchen - paint/retile or new kitchen?
One half of the kitchen which takes our table and chairs...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Need help to find cotton dhurrie rugs in the UK
Hi all. I'm desperately trying to find a cotton dhurrie...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
Need Help: Raised Panel vs Shaker for White Kitchen Cabinet
I need to choose between Shaker vs Raised panell Styles...
Need help selecting a rug and PIllows
We just bought a house and trying to set up slowly....