Kitchen design
gweire
I have a 14 x 28 ft space for new kitchen. Need ideas on how to lay it out. Have attached a rough sketch of the area with doors in corner marked. The long bottom wall needs to have a door and hopefully two windows which can be anywhere on that wall. I want the usual things - double ovens, microwave, cook top, frig, island etc. any ideas from all of you talented people?
Fred S
A 36" wide island will fit comfortably, but consider an L or J shaped kitchen with a bigger island. If you would note where you think you might want all the major things, it would be easier than trying to guess what your preferences are. Besides, it is easier to tell you the drawbacks of something than to guess what you want from a rather blank page ;-)
July 8, 2013 at 4:01pm   
gweire
I would like my sink on the long blank wall. That wall also will need the door which could be from the center of that wall to anywhere right of the center.

Would a peninsula work better than an island? Also want a kitchen table. It doesn't have to be large because we also have a dining room.
July 8, 2013 at 4:45pm   
Is this kitchen opened to other rooms?
July 8, 2013 at 6:51pm   
gweire
There are two doors in top left corner of sketch. One leads into dining room the other to hall and rest of house.
July 8, 2013 at 7:14pm     
suzanne_m
If you have a kitchen table, do you want sittings at the island as well? Do you want a small area for a desk?
July 8, 2013 at 11:16pm   
karemore55
Where are the windows situated?
July 8, 2013 at 11:20pm   
gweire
I would like a a few seats at island. The windows and door can only go on the long side at the bottom of the sketch.
July 9, 2013 at 2:58am   
gweire
I don't need a desk. Already have separate office with computer desk.
July 9, 2013 at 2:59am   
karemore55
Wow, you have a lot of space to work with - you are quite lucky! With the luxury of space, the trick will be to not plug it up with a ton of cabinets and end up looking like a warehouse! I agree with Fred S. about the 36" island. This would give you 42" clearance on each side, which is a decent amount of room. I suggest using the end wall bordering the garage as a kind of feature wall and centre the stove on it, really playing up its importance with a beautiful hood, perhaps with corbels, framing it. Then tile the entire wall around and above it to the ceiling. Then add 2 open shelves on either side of it, which you could a few of your prettier dishes on. If you don't like the idea of open shelving, perhaps an upper on each side of the stove, but not all the way to the corners. Give everything lots of breathing space. The wall which will have 2 windows would hold the sink, DW, and perhaps an upper that comes right down to the countertop. This one could house the dishes. The opposite wall (other side of island) would house fridge, B/I oven and MW, and full height pantry cabinets - no countertop. You would get a nice flow of bringing things from fridge to island, doing food prep on island, then over to stove to cook. You could put a prep sink in island for even more convenience. I suggest placing stools only at far side of island so you don't have stools pulled out and blocking your access to fridge, etc. with your dimensions, I suggest having a 48" wide space between stove and end of island. Length of island is up to you - your space is so huge! I would stop at 10', 12' max. The space closer to DR would either be eating area or possibly attractive mud room with "lockers".
July 9, 2013 at 11:00am   
michee627
how many do you want to seat?
July 9, 2013 at 11:34am   
gweire
Karemore55 -Thanks. I agree that I could put too many cabinets in. So tempting after going from a 11x12 space for 30+ years.

Michee627 - just hubby and me most days but grown kids and grand kids are here often. We do have dining room where I can seat 10 but I definitely want to have seating in kitchen when just 3 or 4 are over.
July 9, 2013 at 11:56am   
michee627
so here's an idea... think about 36" plus aisles, remember you have to pull the chairs back (real chairs are slightly trimmer than this office chair shape) and try not to have people have their backs to each other when working (e.g., stove directly across from the sink). You have the space for good clearances allowing multiple people to move about without tripping over each other. I put the fridge with easy access to the rest of the house which is less optimal to the kitchen table but may be better. I put a full depth fridge in because a) they are cheaper and b) they have better storage but you would have a depth difference in the corner. (my kitchen was full custom so those things didn't matter) Don't know what is "below" the kitchen but you could do french doors instead of the wine wall to open to the outside if that is your exterior wall.
July 9, 2013 at 12:43pm   
michee627
mine is about this size - we use every inch. but then again we like to entertain and everyone ends up in the kitchen
July 9, 2013 at 12:44pm   
gweire
Thanks so much. Love all the ideas. Keep them coming! I will get some more graph paper out and keep designing. I will find out from the contractor in the next couple of days when he can start. Hate the thought of living through the mess but can't wait for the new kitchen.
July 9, 2013 at 6:07pm   
michee627
Cabinets can take a long time to get in. You will want to include that. Also think about uppers and whether you want to go to the ceiling etc.
July 10, 2013 at 6:10am   
WineRacks.com
How about some wine racks? We have everything from small wine racks for the wall to ones for a small closet to a whole wall of wine racks. We also offer free custom design: http://www.wineracks.com/catalog/deals-of-the-week-c-59/https://www.wineracks.com/custom-wine-cellars/cellar-design-form.htm?utm_source=Houzz&utm_medium=Post&utm_campaign=Design
July 10, 2013 at 1:47pm   
where to start on major kitchen renovation (designer or no designer)?
We are planning a kitchen remodel. we will gut the...
Designer looking for kitchen design app for iPad
Any suggestions for drawing walls with dimensions and...
Help!!! new to design need Interior Designer for kitchen renovation
Have galley kitchen no idea of my style overwhelmed...
I need help with Kitchen design...5 different designers and nothing
Its a unique shape kitchen that opens to a family room....
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...
VOTE: What color Fireplace?
Room will be cleared out and painted SW Meiga Greige....
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
PRETTY PLEASE...shutter or not
These current shutters are rotten and have to go. ...
living room window treatments
Can I use two different window treatments in the living...