New home purchase many options for bathroom and kitchen
rwoltering
I am under contract on a home and it needs some work. My biggest area of concern is the kitchen. I need all new appliances as the home owners took them (it's a short sale). The kitchen has wood floors and A TON of space. There may even be room for an island! I am stuck with electric cooking (yuck!). My budget is going to be limited as this is my first home and after down payment, closing costs, moving costs, etc., I won't be left with much! The 'closet' area, is where the connections are for the washer and dryer. They 'built them in' with the wood cabinet. All of the cabinets are brand new, and they used a dark floor tile for the counter tops. Any input would be MUCH appreciated!
karemore55
For now, I would paint all cabinets and ceiling a bright white, put handles on cabinet doors (maybe brushed nickel pulls?), buy white appliances and do some pretty mosaic tile that goes well with the countertop tiles. Then, down the road when you can afford it, do the REALLY NICE Reno!
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:21PM
Lockman Renovations LLC
karemore55 has some good suggestions. though I wouldn't paint the cabinets. I would put some nice antique nickel hardware on them. I would replace the tile countertops with some granite.. Using those 16" or 18" tiles on a countertop? it's just wrong lol.. I'd also do a tile backsplash and go with stainless appliances.. for a little extra money the stainless is worth it and can be reused if and when you decide to gut the kitchen completely. Finally, get rid of the country kitchen ceiling fan and replace it with something more transitional.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 6:30PM
rwoltering
I COMPLETELY agree! The use of the floor tiles on the counter tops just makes absolutely NO sense lol! I would love to put in an island, but I'm not sure if the finances will allow, or how I will do it. I have A LOT of potential with this house. Stainless appliances, the tile backsplash (I was thinking glass tiles to compliment the cabinets) and possibly a new ceiling fixture will get the job done.
1 Like   July 8, 2013 at 6:33PM
Lockman Renovations LLC
If you have the room for the island, I'd say go for it.. If you are planning on granite or some solid stone countertop.. I'd get it all done at the same time so it comes out of the same slab of stone. Though the good thing about an island is it doesn't have to match the rest of the kitchen cabinetry.. if it compliments the rest of it.. then you're good to go.
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:38PM
Lockman Renovations LLC
by the way I do love the bead board ceiling :)
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:38PM
rwoltering
Yea that's a good point. My concern is cost. I know you can't give an exact estimate (nor am I asking for one lol), but what would you say an island and changing the counter tops to granite would cost? (I'm not looking for top of the line stuff here either).
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:39PM
rwoltering
Are you being sarcastic on the wood ceiling? The bathroom as does converted garage have vaulted/wood ceilings. It's a neat little house lol
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:40PM
Lockman Renovations LLC
No sarcasm.. I actually like the wood clad ceiling.. As far as an estimate most granite ranges form $35-$90 sq. ft. plus the cut out for the sink and hole for a faucet plus the sink itself ( lots of granite places have deals where they throw that in.) and a faucet. The cabinetry probably would run you around $ 750 and up depending on the configuration, the brand, and how any cabinets you wanted and also the goodies that go with the cabinetry ( soft close drawers, garbage can, roll out trays etc etc..
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:48PM
rwoltering
Thank you! Yea, I've seen the average price around $40-$50/sq ft. I'll probably have to hold off on the island and granite :( I'll make something work though lol.
0 Likes   July 8, 2013 at 6:58PM
Mary Porzelt of Boston Kitchen Designs
To address your concern about electric cooking, invest in an induction range as one of your first things. Induction cooking is faster than gas and gives you more control. Many of the cosmetic items can be done as time and budget allow.
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 5:34AM
sstarr
If this kitchen has a ton of space, you don't have to settle for the corner sink I see in the photo. With everything apart, as it is now, you have an opportunity to rearrange/modify what is there to make it better and more functional.
You should make a layout of your space, showing doors and windows, as well as the current cabinet placement. Chances are very good that a much better design could be worked out.
0 Likes   February 2, 2014 at 5:43AM
Need to design new home, including bathrooms and kitchen
Lost our home in superstorm Sandy. Will need to rebuild...
kfasler
Need help with remodeling bathroom, kitchen, and bulding a new room onto our home
Our house needs alot of fixing, would like someone...
Amanda Jesus
Complete Home Remodel along with brand new Kitchen, Bathroom, Stairs
Check out this beautiful home in Tustin Orange County....
APlus Interior Design & Remodeling
Purchased a new home / Weird Kitchen
Need help in deciding what to do with the mess the...
retrorick21
Bathroom without many options
I have a bathroom with pale mauve tiles from floor...
al_bmb
Living room arrangement
I have a living/family room with a window or door on...
84stitches
Desperately seeking color!
Hello, amateur here! I have recently renovated a small...
feltovic
Are two-toned kitchens a hard sell?
I'm thinking of doing a two-toned contemporary kitchen...
Stephanie Lemieux
Blanco 441558 One XL sink
Has anyone used this Blanco sink? I cannot find any...
sunup
rredpenn