Distressed cabinets?
pjshah09
How do these look?
Not my tastes, but only matters if you like it.
July 9, 2013 at 7:39am      Thanked by pjshah09
pjshah09
Dyetcture, is it because it is too smudged on the edges?
July 9, 2013 at 7:52am   
felixgrantham
Looks like its kind of late to be asking for advice. it's OK, not something I'd do in my kitchen.
July 9, 2013 at 7:59am   
pjshah09
Obviously not too late, that's why I'm asking.
July 9, 2013 at 8:29am   
scaplan
As far as the distressed look is concerned, these look inauthentic because they aren't distressed in areas that would naturally be so. The upper inside corners would probably be the last piece of the cabinet to show signs of wear. They are also uniformly distressed and that wouldn't happen either. Without having a somewhat shiny finished surface, they also just look kind of dirty. Maybe it's the color of the distress? I wonder if what you are really looking for is the glazed look, where you would paint you cabinets a shade of white and then paint a rich color glaze over them that would pool in the crevices and draw attention to the wood details. It would generally be done on a more ornate style of cabinet, but it could work here and might be a more authentic look to go with your backsplash and countertops. Having said that, if YOU like it, then it looks good! All that matters is that YOU think it looks good.
July 9, 2013 at 8:29am   
pjshah09
Yea, it doesn't look right but I couldn't figure out why. Thanks scaplan.
July 9, 2013 at 8:34am     
linlac
Are these in your kitchen or something you're thinking of purchasing? I have cream cabinets with mocha glaze but mine are very subtle. Glazed cabinets do not have a uniform look but those look extra heavy in some areas. If they are yours was the sample done so heavily?
July 9, 2013 at 8:54am   
pjshah09
its in my kitchen. these guys are using a stain marker, first they did just lines, but I thought it was too thick, so I asked them to do more on edges, but not happy with result. Anyway, they have undid everything and now their boss is coming to redo it, so lets see how that goes.
July 9, 2013 at 10:14am   
Fauxfilled Walls Decorative Painting
In my opinion it's too heavy and possibly the wrong color glazing...I can add a few pictures of projects I have done. Are these sanded out or just glazed?
July 9, 2013 at 10:20am   
Fauxfilled Walls Decorative Painting
here's another one
July 9, 2013 at 10:21am     
Fauxfilled Walls Decorative Painting
I don't care for the outside edges, they should not be glazed on your cabinet doors...I also think they need to tone down the color and maybe go for a nicer brown color....and the glaze should really just collect in the creases. This photo really doesn't show the glaze, it's there but not obnoxious!
July 9, 2013 at 10:30am   
Da Vinci designs
I believe your to a good start you know you want a glazed look you just need more care in doing it and not so much uniformity here is a picture check it out !! its a great example
July 9, 2013 at 10:32am   
linlac
I was just wondering why you said it wasn't too late as they looked custom and not returnable. How did they undo what they did? Are they going to put a protective finish or will it come off in the future? Fauxfilled Walls has some good samples. I would find some pictures of exactly what you are looking before the redo.
July 9, 2013 at 10:42am     
Need idea for distressed kitchen cabinets
I haven't recently purchased a home with cream color...
Need paint advice for kitchen wall color with distressed oatmeal cabinets
I have a kitchen with distressed ivory/oatmeal cabinets,...
Mixing cherry finish and distressed black cabinets
I am having all new cabinets made with dark cherry...
i love the distressing in this cabinet. What do the drawers look like
Would you be able to forward me a sample of your colors...
Help with outdoor light selection
Hi - I am looking for advice on outdoor light selections...
San Francisco Victorian - Entry way/Arch Way Help
My husband and I just purchased this home and are trying...
Curb appeal needed. DESPERATELY.
We bought this house six months ago. As you can see...
lights, fans or both?
We have 3 electrical boxes on our new covered porch...