Desperate for ideas on dining/living room - please!
jent78
Hi all!! I am in a complete rut with figuring out what d
To do with my dining/living room. I got as far as a dining room table :-). The room is not huge and is the first room to the right of the front door. The sofa in the pictures is being moved to the basement. My plan is to hang the picture to the left of the table across from the window. For window treatments -I want to get drapes that will be similar to the wall color. I am also ordering a buffet to put to the right of the window so it will be the middle between the dining and living areas. What are your thoughts? I am completely stuck on wall color, should I do all walls the same? Or maybe the far wall a blue(like in the chairs) and all other walls a grey? Also stuck on seating for the living room area. Thanks so much!!!!
All blue, the name of it?
July 9, 2013 at 1:26pm   
July 9, 2013 at 1:27pm   
That is green :>)…love it. It will be dark on the walls, but that's fine with me. How about painting your ceiling BM celery salt and a bright white, Simply White on your woodwork?

The wall color in this picture is celery salt.

Have you ever considered plantation shutters for you windows in the bay?
July 9, 2013 at 1:30pm   
jent78
What color is that green? I was looking at bm puritan grey also - not sure if too dark? Or wedge wood blue
July 9, 2013 at 1:35pm   
The green in the picture is celery salt.
July 9, 2013 at 1:39pm   
Puritan gray is soooooo dark. I though you liked the Saybrook Sage?
July 9, 2013 at 1:40pm   
From what direction do you get daylight in these rooms?
July 9, 2013 at 1:41pm   
I think I have a color you will love. It is also great for artwork as it gives such a nice background. BM Alaskan Husky.

July 9, 2013 at 1:44pm     
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
I'd recommend painting the ceiling and woodwork white. I think the idea of using the soft, powder blue from your dining room chairs as a paint color has a lot of potential. The picture attached below is a great visual for what your dining room could be: bright and relaxing, with some darker brown accents and artwork to add some warmth.
July 9, 2013 at 1:48pm   
jent78
Kelly, what type of curtains did you use with the say brook sage?
I do like the green and it goes with the chairs- I was stuck between green or blue because the chairs have both.
I was leaning toward woven wood shades?
July 9, 2013 at 1:50pm   
jent78
The room gets sun almost all day- bay winds is southern exposure and the one to the right is east
July 9, 2013 at 1:54pm   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
The sage green is also a lovely option, as the others have already mentioned. It's also soothing and goes wonderfully with dark-stained furniture. Adding some creme-colored curtains that compliment the pattern on your chairs will help to create a theme that flows beautifully.
July 9, 2013 at 1:58pm   
jent78
My husband loves the sage!! I love the idea of cream curtains. Any suggestions on living room seating? Being that it is a smaller space, should I stick to 2 chairs or a small loveseat and two chairs
July 9, 2013 at 2:09pm   
A Crew of Two
This is a sheer fabric from Jo Ann- it has a couple of shades of green in it. Do you have a close up of your chair? I am trying to find something that workks with that as well.
July 9, 2013 at 2:11pm     
Ohhh Judyg's Alaskan Husky paint looks like it could be perfect. I would do all the walls the same color.
July 9, 2013 at 2:14pm     
eshirley
Adding a bit of architecture to the room will do more for the design than anything else. For instance, add a pediment of crown molding over the window and the in the bay area and paint it white. Depending on the ceiling height and the size of the pediment, you could also add a shelf for display. You could also add a chair rail with moldings and paint white also. It will make the room dramatic especially with the blue paint to set it off. I believe once you see the pediments and the way they add to the room (at a much less price of putting crown mold in the whole room), you could get away with using no drapes. Persons entering the room will notice the architecture and remember it, but may not notice the color of the walls. Just one way of adding visual interest to set your room apart from others.
July 9, 2013 at 2:14pm   
For seating ideas, can you show a floor plan with dimensions?
July 9, 2013 at 2:15pm   
This is a stylish small scale sofa from Crate and Barrel. A deep blue/gray which may be just right for your space. I'd opt for a small scale sofa and two accent chairs instead of a loveseat.

July 9, 2013 at 2:21pm     
jent78
Here is a close up of the chair and a really bad sketch of the room
July 9, 2013 at 2:26pm   
A Crew of Two
Yes, cream curtains...gorgeous!
July 9, 2013 at 2:41pm     
Sanctuaries
I've used the Saybrook Sage before for a client-it's a beautiful color and changes slightly from green to soft grey depending on natural light. Woven woods would be a stunning contrast to paint and a nice addition of texture. And they come in a nice array of colors as well. Let me know if you need a source-I can send you a link.The above suggestions are all fantastic-architectural elements, scale of furniture, etc. Continuing having fun with the process!
July 9, 2013 at 2:46pm     
jent78
Thank you everyone!!!! Do you feel the saybrook sage or the Alaskan husky(bluish grey) would be easier to work with for additional furniture, accessories etc
July 9, 2013 at 3:03pm   
jent78
Kelly love the ivory curtains and these as well
July 9, 2013 at 3:04pm     
Both are beautiful colors. You have mentioned your artwork. Could you take a picture of it, as you want to put by the dining furniture. And you have lots of paint samples on the wall. Which one do you think looks the best with the fabric?
July 9, 2013 at 3:06pm     
jent78
Judy here it is - when I get the buffet I was thinking of either a big mirror or some sort of horse painting
July 9, 2013 at 3:09pm   
I'd pick my paint color from the art, matte and frame it and forget about a mirror, unless you install a really stunning chandelier to be reflected double.
July 9, 2013 at 4:19pm     
Interesting that you say your room gets a lot of light as your pictures make the room look dark.

With East and South light take a look at these colors:

BM Seashell, Silver Gray, Mt Rainier Gray, and Gull Wing Gray.
July 15, 2013 at 12:16pm      Thanked by jent78
Small dining/living room ideas
Hello I have a small living room which we currently...
Desperately need help with my dining/living area!
Any ideas where the pieces are no more than $200 each...
Need Help With Open Dining/Living Room Layout
Hello! We have a fairly small open concept living...
How do I arrange furniture in my new dining/living room?
Help! We are moving into our new home in just a few...
Long narrow dining/living room
Hi I just moved into an apartment with a long narrow...
Gray owl paint
I recently painted my bedroom walls with Gray Owl....
Is this backsplash too busy?
We are in search for our new backsplash. Main goal...
How do I fill this empty space?
We have about a foot of clear space above the refrigerator...
Narrow/small kitchen need help
Hi all, Attached here is the new floorplan of my kitchen,...