Should I paint the brick on a green tin roof home? If yes, what color?
otterhavver
This is a ranch-style house. I know landscaping will help a lot with this house (recommendations also welcome for hearty, low-maintenance plants in the humid SE) but we wonder if painting the brick will make for a more harmonious look with the green tin roof. It also has two front doors (potential for duplex when built), so we need recs for enclosing the second door to make a fluid look and relieve guest confusion. Thanks for your help!
That roof is stunning. I would not paint the brick. For one, I like the way it looks...and for two, once you paint it, you'll have to maintain it.

I once changed a window into a door on a brick house, but I don't know about removing a door unless you can match the brick. (Of course, I guess that would be a factor weighing in favor of painting it. LOL)
0 Likes   Thanked by otterhavver    July 9, 2013 at 1:44PM
Amy Phelps
I am looking at remodeling a house similar to this. I am thinking of painting the brick white or light gray. That will also make rebricking and covering the second door easier if you paint. Definitely needs some landscaping and possibly some texture by putting wood on the front porch floor and stacked stone steps and flower beds.
0 Likes   Thanked by otterhavver    August 26, 2013 at 1:34PM
Amy Phelps
Whatever you do, please post pics. I want to see how it turns out.
0 Likes   August 26, 2013 at 1:34PM
lkg1984
The brick looks nice. I think your door problem could be solved with landscaping that says, "Hey, over here!" A couple of large pots, maybe wider steps?
Also, you could put a vertical trellis out in front of the door you don't want people to use and grow a vine on it.
1 Like   Thanked by otterhavver    August 26, 2013 at 1:43PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi....The roof is fabulous, and the brick should be painted BM Silver Fox, keep the white trim. I agree that a trellis in front of the door with blooming vines would shift the focus to the main door, and I also think the landscaping needs more color and less green, possibly a few Magnolia trees and roses lining the walkway.
1 Like   Thanked by otterhavver    September 5, 2013 at 3:57PM
Veronica Lawrence Interior Design
I like Matilda Bos Design Studio's idea. A gray painted brick will really look good with white trim. The front door should be a more dynamic color to make it a feature and draw attention: Red or Yellow would be nice. The attached picture is hardly your house but could give you an idea of the color palette. Also, stand at the bottom of your property and take a look at the landscaping, you can do much to add interest flower beds down the path.
0 Likes   Thanked by otterhavver    September 5, 2013 at 4:06PM
otterhavver
The "hey, over here!" comment made me laugh, I love that. Doing my homework on blooming evergreens.

I thought white an obvious choice to paint the brick, hadn't thought of a different color. The BM Silver Fox almost looks beige on my monitor, I'll have to see it in real time and play with Photoshop to see what it looks like. We've decided that landscaping is the route to take for now...we knew it needs that improvement anyway, and may make the brick and tin less conflicting in my mind. I like brick, and I know that painted brick will be a maintenance project that my husband is not interested in having. White trim is staying and white gutters are going on today.

We are assuming the front door is the one at the front steps, so I think I'm going to make the second door look more like a patio door than a front door, probably get a full glass pain with the internal blinds. We are finding that we use it quite a bit, so I think the internal blinds will make less racket every time we open it. We figure folks who don't know us will probably come to the front door anyway. We already have a doormat that says "The Last Resort" (Last is actually our name) so I'm also going to get a doormat that says, "The First Stop" for the front door. Maybe that will help people decide which door to use.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Keep them coming if you have more!
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 7:07AM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....Thought it would help to let you know that Silver Fox is a taupe- gray.
0 Likes   Thanked by otterhavver    September 9, 2013 at 11:43AM
otterhavver
It does! Thanks! Wish I could figure out what shade of green the roof is so I could see the two colors together.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 12:01PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi...Do you have a BM paint store near you? They can give you, I hope, a large sample of the Silver Fox color
if you take a good picture of your roof color they maybe able to find a paint color similar to the green. Then
when you get home you'll have a better idea seeing the colors side by side.
0 Likes   Thanked by otterhavver    September 9, 2013 at 12:21PM
The Color People
you can paint the brick successfully no problem. It is a myth that it is hard to maintain. I would paint it because red and green are complimentary color and push the color of each. Make sure the body is lighter in value than the roof. Soften the harsh white to help the to and bottom blend and keep the porch from jumping out.

To paint the brick make sure it is clean (Do Not Powerwash!) Put on a light primer coat- any latex is good for this, buying mismatches is a great economy. Make sure this first coat is light. I it is too heavy the paint will tend to pull away from the brick. Add you color coat next. You must use Latex because it allows the brick to breathe. Since spraying is the best method for this it will not be too costly because the labor is minimal. The cost of painting is always the handwork so repainting will not be a expensive problem either.
0 Likes   Thanked by otterhavver    September 9, 2013 at 3:22PM
otterhavver
Thanks, The Color People! Appreciate the thoughtful advice and tips.

I think the porch railing is destined to jump out...it is vinyl(?) and will not get painted, so white railings and trim will stay. In fact, all of the white you see with the exception of the fascia and front doors is a vinyl surface.

The gray porch will probably get a repaint though, it's very worn. Gray is also the color of the shingled siding and lower wall on the back side of the house. It's due for a paint job, but no one will see it unless they stand in our backyard, so it's low priority at this point.

But that brings up the color of the foundation wall...would you suggest painting it the same color as the brick/shingled siding? I would think it would need to be another color as I would likely paint the concrete porch a different color than the brick (and assuming I would paint the shingles the same color as the brick). Below are two images of the back of the house...in the future we will add a screened in porch and descending decks, so that's what the bottom of each photo demonstrates. (Note: I am not an architect, just a sketcher).
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:00AM
Cambria "fix" with Epoxy?
I just had Cambria Bellingham installed today. One...
Regrets when building a new house?
We are about to build a 2300 square foot 2 floor plus...
Help needed to rev up the room
I posted earlier, but here are more pics to give a...
Help! What color should we paint the front door?
We have a painter coming next week and haven't decided...
Need help with paint
Is ther a leading paint brand? I am reprinting my...