Granite help please!
pb42
I need help choosing which granite top would look best on natural cherry cabinets on natural red oak floors with dark walnut border in our new kitchen remodel. Here are my choices: Giallo Fiorito, Kashmir white, Turkish ice, Santa Cecilia Classic or New Venetian Gold extra. Sorry I don't have a picture of the Giallo fiorito, Sta. Cecilia or Venetian gold. We'd also like to add tile backsplash with some color, like a band of glass tile perhaps, but we don't want it to clash with the countertop. Please help! Unfortunately, our choices are limited due to budget, so we can't pick any other granite other than what's offered within our contract. Any thoughts or recommendations, with pictures will be most helpful!
0825sam
I like the second photo. I generally prefer veining over speckles and that's what distinguishes these for me at least in these photos.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:19PM
0825sam
Also I'm not super familiar with granite but I think the other choices are browns? I think the whites will give a more updated look. I like the natural cherry of your cabinets and I think they'll stand out more. My other choice would be the opposite extreme of black but sounds like that's not an option.
2 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:23PM
mefor
I like the second one. The first looks like every other granite that builders use. The second has a bit of style. :)
Ask sam0705 if you should use some simple subway tiles that don't fight with the granite finish. Maybe a crackled or wavy subway, or a frosted glass subway. Nothing too small, too many grout lines will read as too busy with granite.
4 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:29PM
mefor
Hi sam0705 :)
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:29PM
inkwitch
2nd one. more character. First one sorta looks like something got spilled on it.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:34PM
0825sam
Hi mforr :) as usual I agree with you on the backsplash. I think I would skip a colored accent tile - the counter seems to have its own little splash of color. I would work color in with your accessories.
2 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:35PM
mefor
That's exactly what I would say, lol. Nice agreeing with you again! ;)
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:37PM
indianpatti
Of the 2, I like the 2nd one better. Agree with Sam, veining looks better to me that speckles.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:39PM
Amy Stanley
Depends on what you are looking for- the two you have posted are very cool- the other choices are warm so which would you prefer?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:41PM
pb42
Thank you all for your quick comments! I do prefer the veining or "movement" as they call it. The second one is the Turkish ice. Although it picks up some color from the cherry, is it too white without any color on the backslash? I'd like our kitchen to be warm, but bright. The other 2 choices not pictured are brown tones.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:47PM
0825sam
I don't think it's too white- your cabinets are warm as are your floors. And the granite isn't stark it
still has movement and color. I'd let that be the focal as well as the cabinets and a plain backsplash. Also I think simple will look more expensive if that makes sense.
2 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:49PM
pb42
Also, does lighter granite easily show stains?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:49PM
N.O.R,LLC
I like the second one and it s really nice when you install it,is it whit macabas ,the movement and texture looks really nice ,I did install this on different kitchen and it turn really nice ,If you dont have big counter area I m not suggesting the first one since dots would be too much on small areas
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:49PM
N.O.R,LLC
specially the texture with second one would be good match with red oak.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:51PM
lfenza
I am just starting my kitchen remodel. I also like the second one. I have noticed that when the granite top has the color of your floor as well as the color of your cabinets in it, it seems to bring it all together. It may be a good idea to go simple with the back splash A designer just told me she did a kitchen where the homeowner chose a busy tile back splash and it totally clashed with the granite. Good luck to you
0 Likes   Thanked by pb42    July 9, 2013 at 5:53PM
pb42
We have an L-shape kitchen with an island about 3'x 7' long.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:55PM
lfenza
One more thing I have been looking at granite myself and I like the Venetian Gold. That may be a good choice, it is very warm looking.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:55PM
mefor
Granite shouldn't show stains, especially when sealed. :)
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 5:55PM
mefor
Sam0705 is right, that second granite has a classic, timeless, custom (in other words, expensive) look
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 5:59PM
pb42
I do like the movement on the Turkish white, and agree with you guys that it looks classy and timeless. I was trying to attach a photo from Houzz with a tile backsplash I liked, but how do I do that?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 6:01PM
Amy Stanley
Of the two pictured I too like the second choice- can you take a picture of the other choices next to floor and cabinets?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 6:02PM
0825sam
Copy and paste the URL to your comment
0 Likes   Thanked by pb42    July 9, 2013 at 6:03PM
pb42
Amy, I wish I could. I can't seem to find the other pictures I took with the giallo fiorito. I don't have one of the Sta. Cecilia or New Venetian gold. All three are brown tones.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 6:06PM
pb42
This is a picture with a backsplash that I think is nice. The granite I believe is giallo fiorito.

0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 6:09PM
pb42
I found a picture of the giallo fiorito and new venetian gold granite samples, along with some possible tiles.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 7:47PM
pb42
Some tile samples. Too brown?
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:50PM
zerolotline
Any possibity you could get Silestone instead of granite. A beautiful product yet more durable, easy care at a lower cost We choose Silestone for our kitchen years ago and we truly love it. Still looks brand new. Take a look at their site - www.silestoneusa.com
2 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:08PM
I like the tile on the right of the last photo you just posted ( the darker one), much richer looking;)
2 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:14PM
Agree with Margo. I like the darker granite on your last photo with the glass tile. I think the tone works best with the wood, yet a nice contrast.
4 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:17PM
hazelruth
If I could do our kitchen over again - I would choose granite like your white veined one in the second picture. We chose dark granite and it makes it very dark in the kitchen. Also it will look cleaner to have the white. Good luck to you!! I've also heard people say that granite will be "out" within a few years and all the houses with granite will be "stamped" 2010's. NOW they say that! lol
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 8:19PM
@hazelruth- that is the nature of the beast. If we all waited for the latest and greatest next trend, no one would ever get anything remodeled. Just go with what you like ,and when you don't like it anymore ,pray you can afford to do it again ;)
2 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:40PM
hazelruth
yEP, mARGO, you are so right. And I can't love grey and was worried about it for 15 seconds. Not everyone is going to love gray. Just aint gonna happen. Go with what you love.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 8:45PM
lkg1984
I like the wavy one, #2. The speckled ones look builder-grade, not custom.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 8:47PM
dldesignstudio
The glass isn't a great choice no matter which granite you go with. Way too busy. Plus the warm tones don't do well with the cooler granite. The warmer darker granite is very dated as it's a "builder" standard for the last 15 years. The lighter cooler one in pic is a bit more updated as it gives the "Calcutta" or "Carrera" marble look only with specks. You can do a solid glass in the speck color. There are solid glass tiles in subway glass size if that's what you're looking for.
2 Likes   Thanked by pb42    July 9, 2013 at 8:58PM
Truthfully, I think granite is busy. I did not use granite in my remodel about 7 years and am glad I didn't. I chose Silestone quartz.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 9:04PM
dldesignstudio
I agree but Silestone quartz is more costly than the granite samples. I'm very familiar with granite prices and in general Silestone, Caesarstone, Zodiac are all more expensive. Personally I'm not a big granite lover but many still like it. I prefer quartzite because of the translucency but it's more expensive than a lot of granite.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 9:10PM
lilylaw
I agree with the comments about Silestone being better quality and more durable. I wish I had chosen it for my kitchen renovation.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 9:37PM
Kris
Look through the kitchens here to see which you love. Have to say though the second photo of the Turkish Ice would be stunning with stainless appliances and really brighten up the room.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 9:46PM
ikisfree
I'd go with the giallo or the venetian gold. Your cabinets are a pretty light color and I think the whitish granites will make for a fairly washed out look. The gold tone ones will add warmth, depth and interest.
0 Likes   Thanked by pb42    July 9, 2013 at 10:20PM
jcorn1
After years of living with a Formica counter which came with our home we finally saved rnough money for a redo and went with quartz. I know granite is very popular but it does have to be sealed regularly. But if you are set on granite... i like the granite shown in the photo that Darzy and Margo noted.

I do want to throw out a vote for quartz. .We got a relatively solid color and it will blend with whatever changes we make to walls or cabinetry or other kitchen decor through the years.
1 Like   July 9, 2013 at 10:52PM
0825sam
Just for a visual here are natural cherry cabinets with a light counter. If you like a glass mosaic maybe consider it as a feature behind the stove as here. I also like the solid choices of quartz but I know you said you are limited. Not to beat a dead horse but seeing the other options, I think the second white granite you posted is the most special and expensive looking and least generic.

1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 4:29AM
pb42
Thank you all for your wonderful insights! Here's a picture of the Turkish white (vein granite) and Kashmir white (white with speckles) slabs. Both of them seem to have some cranberry looking speckles or veining. I know cherry will darken/redden over time, and also having a dark walnut border around the floor, would that work? Also, I'm liking these oil rubbed antique bronze hardware. Would it go with white granite?
2 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 5:22AM
Sure that ORB hardware will go with it! I love it with white ;)
4 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:13AM
mefor
Yes
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 6:13AM
Lumar Interiors
Much prefer the greyed granites with the veining. The cabinetry is already very warm in colour. The cooler granite updates it and freshens it up. Definitely not the browns.
2 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:18AM
pb42
Yes, I'm leaning towards the whites too. I was just not sure it goes well with natural cherry, but I guess you're all right, that the brown granite tends to be dated looking. Plus, I was also concerned about making the kitchen bright, not dark, without making it cold feeling. Thank you!!!
2 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:33AM
mefor
You're welcome, good luck with the new kitchen :)
0 Likes   Thanked by pb42    July 10, 2013 at 6:41AM
gasns
Keep in mind that if your cabinets are natural cherry, they will darken to a rich orange/red (about the color of a good glass of iced tea). I have natural cherry furniture and it all darkened to a great color. That said, I like the 2nd granite pic the best for two reasons: 1) it has some red/brown in it and 2) granite with veining looks the most expensive and interesting.
2 Likes   Thanked by pb42    July 10, 2013 at 6:42AM
N.O.R,LLC
my experience both have interesting movement and you would like it.I recently did small job for client with your first choice it brighten their area
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 7:44AM
Amy Stanley
Of the two white slabs with the bronze hardware I think I am liking the second one with the speckles I think the brown in it ties it together.
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 12:20PM
Granite Transformations
I like the granite that you have pictured, it works well with the cabinetry and flooring. As for backsplash, I think our diamond or pearl subway tile would go really well with the counters and cabinetry. You can take a look at them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

My vote would be for the Pearl. Hope this helps, good luck!
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 12:40PM
dldesignstudio
If you're going for the rustic look the knobs and pulls are fine. You need to make sure all of your elements "play nice" with each other. So if you're doing a porcelain farmhouse sink with an oil rubbed bronze faucet then the oil rubbed bronze hardware works. But if you're doing a lot of stainless steel appliances and brushed nickel faucet you might want to look at pewter for a rustic vibe.
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:14PM
pb42
ddesignstudio, good point. Our new appliances will be stainless with some black. I'll check out options. Thanks!
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:48PM
dldesignstudio
Yep. I figured might be something like that. If rustic is your direction then pewter blends the stainless and black as it is a "blackened" silver. If you use brushed nickel with a bit of detail it will keep the hardware from going too modern.
1 Like   Thanked by pb42    July 10, 2013 at 6:52PM
Please help - Looking for the perfect granite with some green
I am installing a white kitchen (paint of cabinetry...
Need granite help please
What is the granite on the island?
Please help choosing Granite
Which Granite would look the best. White Ice Sienna...
Help on finishes for granite bench tops please
Have found stunning piece of granite for kitchen bench...
Please Help me with my Granite Selection For my kitchen Countertops
I am very sad to say that I based my entire kitchen...
I need help for my old wood floor
I what to paint a wood floor need help and ideas
Kitchen lighting advice
I am trying to order a chandelier to go over my island,...
Ronded wall vs draps, help !
I am tryin to find a idea to mask the ugly heads of...
what else am I missing? Thanks for the advice on accent chair.
I posted a week ago about accent chairs. Here is the...
Please help me find these chairs!
A client of mine is trying to find these exact chairs...