Powder Room mistake
atlnative
We have a small powder room that we painted using one of those textured paints, but it didn't work well. The edges blurred and the overall look just wasn't right. I still like the trim but am not sure what to do about the walls...ideas welcomed!
marybyrne
If you really don't like the outcome of the wall paint you may have to sand all walls and start over. But the trim is fantastic.
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 9, 2013 at 7:12PM
atlnative
Hi, yes we have begun to sand to prep for a different paint job...you can see the beginning in the reflection of the mirror, so we're up for that.
0 Likes   July 9, 2013 at 7:15PM
Candace Bordelon
The trim isn't really set off well by the stripes. It's too busy. A powder room should be like a jewel. I would paint it a rich color to contrast with the trim.
2 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 9, 2013 at 7:22PM
atlnative
Candace what color would you suggest...it's a small room and the floor is veined brownish marble with a white diamond in the corners
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 6:49PM
rosemarystephaniemailas
How about the pantone color of the year - emerald green! Better yet, how about a fabulous wallpaper?
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 7:01PM
doctornancy
Hi, atlnative! You are a busy woman! Benjamin Moore has some wonderful metallic paints that would give your powder room a glam look and show off your beautiful crown molding.
4 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 7:07PM
atlnative
I love green, I use it a lot in other parts of the house...maybe not as intense though. What kind of wallpaper would you suggest? I've tried to stay away from it but quite frankly realize for this one room it might make sense.
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 7:08PM
Nancy Walton
A powder room, contrary to popular myth, can take a darker color, even though it's a small room. Darker colors give it the glam, like Nancy Reese suggested. And a metallic wallpaper (not heavy foil, too 70s) will go nicely with the trim molding and light fixture.
2 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 7:13PM
mkmort
Paint it the brown in your stripes.
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 7:22PM
Natalie
Yes, definitely wallpaper...
]
1 Like   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 7:24PM
crp1234
I'm with Natalie, wallpaper would be gorgeous plus you wouldn't have to get the sanding/prep perfect.
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 7:49PM
pattiegoode
I vote for no wallpaper. If you want a design, stenciling makes a lot of sense. But I think if you really want your trim to stand out, a one color wall is the way to go. Have you considered painting the ceiling to match the trim?

0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 7:55PM
atlnative
Pattie, funny you mentioned stencil as that's where I wanted to go originally but don't have the talent to do it. I'm in Atlanta and just didn't have the time to search out someone. I also like the idea of painting the ceiling a lot! I think it would visually give it more height. The walls do need not to be so dark as the floor is primarily brown, too...I hope I've attached the photo correctly.

As for the stencil, not sure the design or colors...I liked Nancy's metallic idea too.
1 Like   July 10, 2013 at 8:03PM
crp1234
I like the metallic paint idea too. Is it hard to paint over later?
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 8:11PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Think about purchasing a contract/ commercial wall covering, there are great for bathrooms. Thicker vinyl, many textures and designs, most comes 54" wide (less seams), typically is sold by the yard which means hardly any waste! Consider wallcovering either all walls or just the mirror wall and than paint a lighter mocha brown/ beige that complements the wallcovering.

Photo 1- Source Wallcovering -Chelon Stripe / in Chocolate
Photo 2- Same wallcoveing as Photo 1, different color (not a good color just shows what #1 lloks like on the wall.
Photo 3- Pietro
Photo 4- More of a texture- Chocolate color.
2 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 8:38PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
That same marble comes in so many tile mosaics. So what about a 3x6 matching subway tile on only the mirror wall to the ceiling. I would look at Oregon Tile and Marble, Emser Tile, United Tile and Bedrosian tile brands, I believe they all carry mosaics in the marble. Or something like photo #1.

Here is a photo of one of my projects that we tiled to the ceiling on the mirror wall, tile is lighter but you can get the idea.
1 Like   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 8:47PM
atlnative
Love the tile mosaic and how you used it in the bathroom in the picture above, and doing it on an accent wall. Hmmmm....how do you get samples of the tile shown here, or see it in person?
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 9:04PM
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
luv the wallcoverings. any tile stores will have samples you can borrow
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 10, 2013 at 9:12PM
Wyland Interior Design Center
The tile sample is a Jeffrey Court Tile. The tile on the back wall of my bathroom photo is Statements Tile, Inc. called Mosaic Opus- Color: Fossil Azul. They darker dots are more of a green, which I think you should stick with the more brown tones for a richer feel. Here are some other tile options that might work.

First two are from Emser Tile- Beaming 357 & Brilliant 439
The third photo is from United Tile- Oceanside Glass
The last photo is another United Tile called Tempo / Riverstone, if you want to go with a lighter background.
2 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 11, 2013 at 7:28AM
atlnative
I have started an ideabook off the suggestions for the powder room of other images where tile has been used as you've described. Connie @ Wyland, thank you for sharing your time and thoughts. Thanks to everyone who posted here.

I really, really like the idea. I'm going to go find a good tile place locally to see some of these options and would come back with a request for color suggestions for the other walls, and ceiling.

The tile is a strong design statement -- we could sell our house in about five years....that wouldn't stop me from doing this, but how much is this being done elsehwhere for the power room?
1 Like   July 11, 2013 at 8:06AM
Wyland Interior Design Center
Tile on the mirror wall as an accent really can make quite the statement. You mostly see it in powder bathrooms, since they small and less expensive to do. Here is another photo of a bathroom that I did the same thing.

In terms of being more timeless or classical, the stone look would be more so than the glass. Glass as been around for several years now, it might be dated in 5 years or may be not? About the time I think they can't come up with any more glass tile options, they come up with something else.
1 Like   July 11, 2013 at 6:35PM
indianpatti
Great ideas everyone! I agree ... tile the mirror wall and paint the rest of the room with the metallic paint.

Love the "riverside" tile that Wyland interiors posted a picture of.
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 11, 2013 at 6:43PM
svsuzanne
I think the contrast and width of stripes is too great for such a small space. If you would add narrow brown stripes in the white stripes, and then a bit of floral or geometric stencils between in a lighter shade of brown or an offsetting shade like dusty olive, you'd be good. Your mirror and trim would then be the focus.
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    July 11, 2013 at 7:05PM
atlnative
All the comments here were helpful and we ended up deciding to faux paint a brick wall. This is only halfway done at this point and I'll post final pictures day after tomorrow. The walls are a nutmeg color.
0 Likes   December 3, 2014 at 6:40AM
doctornancy
atlnative - long time! Hope all is well. N.
1 Like   December 3, 2014 at 6:44AM
atlnative
Finally finished it. Used a nutmeg solid color and the faux brick wall to take advantage of that trend without having to fully commit to something more permanent.
0 Likes   December 14, 2014 at 3:41PM
Nancy Walton
Looks very nice!
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    December 14, 2014 at 5:37PM
doctornancy
atl - nice details!
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    December 14, 2014 at 7:18PM
maventreehugger
How about amberish gold paint on all the walls with a largish painting (portrait, no frame) to the left of the mirror with light, radiant colors and nice dark contrast with in it?
0 Likes   Thanked by atlnative    December 14, 2014 at 7:45PM
Would it be a mistake to convert a formal dining room into a laundry/mud room?
We are house shopping right now and found a lovely...
melful1
Big living room scared of mistakes
I will now start decorating a very big living room...
sgelleni
Oops! I deleted by mistake. My Living Room needs help
Our living looks like old people live here...tee hee...because...
sstrunk
Dated Powder Room now Dream Powder Room (Hudson Residence II)
This powder room was part of an extensive main floor...
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
Would it be a shame to paint my old piano?
The 1st picture is my old piano in my living room....
benani1
to give light into a bedroom!!!
its a rectangular bedroom, but the window are not directly...
lulublue82
Is there anybody want to buy stone sculpture ,stone fountain?
KF Stone Sculpture Ltd is most professional natural...
KF STONE SCULPTURE LTD
Stove & sink layout complicated because of low window
Hi! I've been lurking around here for a year and am...
L W
Bedroom carpet replacement
I would like to sound isolate the floor of the bedroom...
goffe