Need help with design of mobile home
auntlja27
I recently bought a mobile home. It is a single-wide, just big enough for me. There are not a lot of sites pertaining to designing/re-designing mobile homes. The kitchen cupboards are awful. Bathtub needs redone. And I hate having the water heater in my bedroom closet! Does anyone know of any mobile home services in Kissimmee FL ?
Sarah Padilla
Im in a a mobile home too! They are very challenging
July 9, 2013 at 11:11PM   
Are you good at DIY? You'll probably find that nothing standard size fits - tubs, etc all have to come from a mobile home supplier. My advice it to paint in your favorite colors so you'll be surrounded by something you love, because there isn't always a redeeming side to these things! One trick to save floor space is to install tracks and sliding doors everywhere you can. You can use regular doors without holes for knobs, buy track, build and install a casing for it and hang doors, using regular cabinetry pulls for opening and closing. They won't provide a tight fit but it works for living spaces where privacy is not an issue, and since you're alone they'll help you place more furniture where normally you'd have to leave door "swing space." Hope that helps.
July 10, 2013 at 1:12PM     
Casey Tomlinson
I agree with decoenthusiaste, you will seriously need to DIY this space but don't fret, I got an article to help you design a mobile home. http://www.buildingscheme.com/mobile-home-interior-with-modern-and-contemporary-designs/luxury-mobile-home-decorating-ideas/
July 10, 2013 at 1:17PM     
Brenda
If there were going to be mobile home decorating/renovation services anywhere in the world, I would think Kissimmee FL would be high on the list.

I would try and "tour" as many mobile homes as possible to get a feel for how other people deal with the unique challenges they present.
July 10, 2013 at 1:22PM   
A Crew of Two
The main challenge of mobile homes is that they 'move'- so tiling, dry walling etc are pretty much not an option. We lived in a mobile home in Wisconsin the ground freezing and thawing caused the home to shift, as well as rain. So unless your home is on a slab of concrete consider this when choosing materials. We built an addition off the back of the home to house the furnace and HW heater. Best thing we ever did- it was just a small 'closet' with outside access. I would thing a good carpenter could handle some of your projects. And like mentioned above, most plumbers in the area should be familiar with mobile home plumbing. Laminate floors are wonderful because they float.
July 10, 2013 at 1:36PM   
A Crew of Two
Shoot the green is gone- houzz is not as up to date as it should be. I found a blue one! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20242852/
July 10, 2013 at 1:40PM   
Blinds.com
There are so many 'downsizing', 'tiny living' and 'small house' blogs out there these days - I bet their space saving tips would totally relate to some of your challenges! Lots of creative ideas you could make your own.

You didn't mention flooring, but Flor tiles would be an easy way to update with a mobile home friendly material.

The space will also feel cleaner and bigger with cordless shades too (perhaps cordless cell shades to give you nice insulation and a splash of color if you want one): http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8852
July 10, 2013 at 2:06PM   
2taniya
The length and width is certainly a challenge but here are several thoughts and suggestions
I think this picture is of the porch - how do you want to use it? will it be a great room, just a dining area, a porch, an all purpose room, do you want people to sleep there? Once that is determined you will be able to move furniture around to meet your needs. For example - could you incorporate a day bed?

Are the washer and dryer staying on the porch? If so - would you like to put a pressure rod at ceiling height and hang a curtain from it to separate them from the rest of the room? You might also possibly use a book case turned parallel to the short wall to hide them. Actually the open shelves of a book case could be turned toward the washer and dryer and the solid back side of it could be painted and have art work hung on it that fits in with the room...i.e, use it as a wall. Also it looks like there are ceiling beams at that end of the room - perhaps curtains could hang there.

The end wall with the door is very disjointed - there appear to be 3 curtain treatments - see if you can make those all match and at the same height.

Windows - I have always found the roll up blinds currently there to be totally useless for light control or for privacy. You might try honeycomb shades, venetian blinds or verticals. Do each window separately so that you have control.

Color scheme needs unified - the tall peacock chair could be spray painted white to go along with the others and then match the cushions and throw pillows in the same colors. Same with the rocker you have covered by a blanket and the throw over the love seat. The space will look better with coordinating colors.

Everything almost needs to work double and be easy to move in a space this small and narrow. Meaning, if you use a table, the chairs should be comfy enough both for eating and lounging. The day bed is a sofa in the day and a bed for guests. A sturdy narrow bench can serve as a coffee table, table seating or a luggage rack. The card table could have a table cloth that comes to the floor and goes with the rooms color scheme and you could store things under that and they would be out of sight. Matching square baskets could also go on bookshelves and hide items you use. Side tables could serve as both drink tables and footstools...or a footstool could serve both purposes.

Flooring - after the furniture gets arranged and the purpose of the room decided, how about a coordinating area rug to define your conversation space (if that is a need the porch will serve).
July 10, 2013 at 2:32PM     
Need help with a built in buffet in my mobile home.
I have a built in buffet in my dining room in my mobile...
Need help redesigning a small mobile home kitchen
Can anyone help with ideas for redesigning my small...
Need help with painting bathroom walls in mobile home
I want to paint the walls in my bathroom. I'm in a...
Need help for painting a mural on street side of a mobile home
28 ft wide mobile home; one story high. I would like...
How nice do we make the bathroom to add value before selling?
Small only bathroom. Complete overhaul, or just new...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Colour & design dilema
What would you change or add to this house to make...