MCM renovation
lauramaddox
We are about to start a complete renovation of a mid century modern home located on a island off the coast of Georgia (USA). We have a really strong vision for what we want out of the house. Do we need to find an architect with MCM experience, or will any architect be able to do the job?
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Good for you, seeking professional help at the outset. If you don't receive responses from architects, check with the local professional association for referrals. Also check ideabooks on restorations & see which architects have submitted projects from your area
July 10, 2013 at 7:06am   
Colin Edward Slais, Architect, LLC
It's always more ideal to find an architect who has some experience with the project type, or at least one who has a real passion, appreciation, and desire to learn and understand MCM. There are a lot of details and certain design moves that MCM dictates, which must be followed to really do it right. That is my FAVORITE style. I wish I could help you, but I'm out in Scottsdale, AZ (a little far away). Take a look at the Joseph Eichler homes in CA. for some inspiration if you need it. Just remember - clean lines, simplicity, integral design between furniture, accessories, fabrics, materials. Typically there is exposed structure and a strong connection to the outdoors. Good luck! Wish I could participate!! It sounds very exciting!
July 10, 2013 at 8:03am     
lauramaddox
I wish you could participate too! I have done a lot of research and know that there are many MCM homes in your area. Unfortunately, there are not many in Georgia. I haven't had much luck finding an architect with MCM experience. I have talked to one in Atlanta, but that is 300 miles away and wouldn't be very convenient.
July 10, 2013 at 11:55am   
Colin Edward Slais, Architect, LLC
If that's the case, it sounds like you will have to end up using an available architect in your area. Any architect worth anything should be able to work with you if you are very clear and communicative on what you want. Richard Neutra, Rudolph Schindler, Marcel Breuer, Bill Cody are also good examples for inspiration. MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD BUILDER!!!! I think between photos/images of what you want and clear communication with your architect and builder, you should be OK. Interview your architect and builder - go see their work to get a good idea of what they can do for you. Good luck!
July 10, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Colin Edward Slais, Architect, LLC
One more thing - if you're on an island off the coast of Georgia, obviously you will want to take hurricanes into account in the design to withstand flooding, winds, etc.
July 10, 2013 at 12:05pm   
lauramaddox
Will do. Thanks so much for your feedback.
July 10, 2013 at 12:41pm   
Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
Here are a couple of YouTubes I made of 3 of Bill's mid-century projects. Two are faithful to the mid-century modern aesthetic, one is not:

:) Rhoda http://www.billfryconstruction.com/
July 17, 2013 at 7:35pm   
lauramaddox
Beautiful work! Wish Bill Fry was a Georgia guy!
July 18, 2013 at 12:11pm     
We have an older home (MCM) that we'd like to renovate!
We have a mid century home that we would LOVE to renovate,...
Fireplace in MCM renovation
We are renovating a 1962 mid-century modern home in...
Need help with MCM entry way
We are in the middle of our remodel project and I'm...
Accessorizing an MCM Hutch
Just found this gorgeous gal at a local thrift shop...
Looking for creative idea's for my living room
I'm revamping my living room (10,000Sqft) and require...
liven up my entryway
Any suggestions to make the entryway more inviting...
How to make small bedroom look cozy
Hi, Need a help to make our small bedroom little warmer...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Need help with paint in son's room-two colors on which walls?
My son want to paint his room Benjamin Moore cayman...