Help with color of granite and fiona green vinyl slate floor.
whyknot7
This is the old kitchen we are redoing. Keeping the flooring. Have all new stainless steel appliances. Cabinets will be replaced with an off white traditional raised panel to the ceiling with small glass inserts at top and then crown moulding, Having a difficult time coordinating a granite countertop color. Would like to keep the warm brown or gold tones, Any suggestions??? Desperate for any help. Thanks.
Incite Design
A common way to go is to pick up a color from the floor for the counters. In your case it might be interesting to go a bit darker but still keep some of the variation without making the counters too busy. Are the appliances still remaining?
July 10, 2013 at 7:21am        Thanked by whyknot7
tanyastarcher
I work everyday helping customers decide on what color countertop to go with in granite. A few general guidelines that I give my customers:
1. Decide on your budget. This will help narrow down or expand your granite choices.
2. Pick whether you want a light granite vs. a dark granite based on your kitchen layout; where the windows are located, how open/closed is the room, how much space there is from wall to wall, etc. (Remember that Dark colors can give the illusion of a smaller space, where Light colors can give the illusion of a larger space.)
3. If you have a busy floor, use a more consistent color of granite for your countertops. Generally, this means staying away from colors that would compete with the floor for attention, unless you are intending to replace your flooring in the near future.
4. Look at full slabs! Every slab of granite has its own character. Many times, slabs will differ from a standard showroom sample. This way you will get a better feel for how your countertops will look.
5. Go with a Fabricator that you feel comfortable talking to and questioning. Make sure that they are fabricating from slabs. This limits seams. Ask to see a sample of their seams. Ask about what is included in their estimate, make sure that they include all cuts, fabrication, material, sealant, and installation. These are all important aspects. Don't be afraid to ask for references.

I know this is a lot to talk about and if you came to my showroom, this is how I would advise you.

Looking at your flooring and current cabinets.

In the dark colors: Uba Tuba/ Labrador Green, Verde Butterfly or Peacock, Impala Black, Black Pearl, Black Cloud with a Suede/Honed finish.

Medium: Mermaid Green (Personal Favorite, especially when you have an LED Backlight to it.)

Lighter colors: Sliver Sea Green, Artic White, or even a Valley White.

I hope this helps you!

Tanya Starcher
Custom Stone Products
Terre Haute, IN

Tanya@customstoneproducts.com
July 10, 2013 at 7:51am      Thanked by whyknot7
Affirming Kitchen Clarity
Well done tanyastarcher !.... I am in agreement with all stated, the small space and as tanyastarcher noted keep from getting to busy.........., the floor is a tad demanding so be subtle with the top look at Caesarstone 4120 Raven understand the beauty of simplicity.....looking at the photos this space appears to be family use, lots of use, and the other advantage of Caesarstone is lack of maintenance......best wishes!
July 10, 2013 at 8:11am      Thanked by whyknot7
Julie
This is just me, but if you go for a non-solid color, I'd pick something with long striations rather than something mottled since your flooring is mottled. I actually think it would be really nice if you chose something with the same colors as your flooring, but with the predominant colors reversed, like Kashmir Gold. Congrats on your soon-to-be new kitchen!
July 10, 2013 at 8:38am        Thanked by whyknot7
tanyastarcher
@Julie Kashmir Gold and Kashmir Gold Light are great medium priced granites, but not all slabs are cut in the same way. I have attached an example of a slab from one of our quarries (first picture).

@ sschleppe when you go out to view slabs, take a piece of your flooring and a cabinet drawer/door with you. The third picture is another color that looks fantastic with your flooring, Negresco Granite. The last two pictures are of the Venetian Gold Light Slab and the subsequent kitchen that we installed for one of our customers. Sometimes it helps to see the outcome in whole.
July 10, 2013 at 10:16am      Thanked by whyknot7
whyknot7
Thank you everyone for your help!!
July 10, 2013 at 9:45pm   
Need help with re-finishing kitchen cupboards
I have oak cupboards and I'm so sick of oak. The cupboards...
Kitchen Island Decor
I have a large island in my kitchen and am struggling...
Solar Panel
Hi, I need to know , how is the best step to install...
Carpet over tiles
We have just moved into a house which has ceramic tiles...
Entryway help! Rug? No Rug?
I have an L-shaped entryway and I can't decide whether...