Need help to disguise my roofline - HElp!

mckenziedesignJuly 10, 2013
We built a house on the river and battled the whole way through with the roofline. I like the saltbox style and this is what came out of it. The pitch is wrong and looks uncomfortable. We are not able to change the construction at this point. I'd like to use the siding and paint to help hide the roofline. We will be adding a deck the width of the house that will be a nice focal point as well. Any ideas?? We are open to all at this point. Help!!
Barnhart Gallery
Well...how would you feel about making the long stretch from saltbox to super funky original contemporary?
http://www.houzz.com/unique-contemporary-exterior
    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 1:40PM
mckenziedesign
I do love that and like the contemporary look. paint and trim suggestions with the brown roof?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 1:51PM
crp1234
How does this roof work? Where are the gutters? You definitely can't take off the one part of the roof that flaps down onto the house???
    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 1:52PM
mckenziedesign
I'd like to use cement board siding. Can I get a neat contemporary look with that?
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:07PM
mckenziedesign
There will be a gutter in the front and one in back. Roof has such a slope though that a gutter may not be needed. Cannot reconstruct. I thought maybe cool contemporary gable design? or color breaks somewhere?
Both the small upstairs deck and main floor deck (30'x15') will be made of wood frame and rebar spindles.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:11PM
kitasei
Wait - doesn't the steepness of the slope make the gutters even more important? The water will be sliding at high speed down the roof right to your foundation, no? Or is it that the steep roof has less catchment area?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 2:16PM
mckenziedesign
the roof is so steep if wont hold anything. We may put gutters just in case. At any rate - that wont change the overall look much - other than adding gutter chains to the outside of the soffit.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:28PM
Barnhart Gallery
McKenzie -- I'm relieved that you're open to contemporary, whew! It's not my area of expertise, but looking through the houzz search I posted, I think that you can end up with something funky, daring and cool.
Another hopeful search, different keywords:
http://www.houzz.com/modern-saltbox
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:35PM
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
how did this get drawn up like this to begin with? i hope you've fired the architect....
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 2:41PM
kitasei
Have you considered solar panels? It just may be ideal for that. In any case, I wouldn't assume there is a problem with the design.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 2:44PM
diyher
If you put a deck like it looks like on the side of that roof, and water hitting the roof is going to pour down onto the deck. It looks like no room at all was left for a rain gutter I think this is a perfect time to make changes before you go any further and regret it for life
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 2:48PM
crp1234
I'm sure the design you've developed for the inside is your dream house. I hate to say this, but I really think you need to modify the roof. You don't have to change the whole thing - just the flap that sits on the side of the house. I bet it is more feasible than you think. You will need a gutter over those windows, otherwise you are going to have water intrusion. It might be more money now, but your happiness and a dry house are well worth it. I had one gutter that was broken and a brand new slider - water comes in every time it rains. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mckenziedesign    July 10, 2013 at 2:55PM
mckenziedesign
I like the solar panel option thanks! I do like the design just a bit more pitch than I envisioned. Yes interior is exactly what we wanted. Great use of space. There is room for gutter and I'm sure we will add to keep water off deck. There was no architect involved - obviously this is why this was not caught prior. Thanks for all the comments. Now, will try to find come up with some siding designs and color combinations that add some punch to take focus off the pitch!
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:35PM
crp1234
I have cedar siding and researched Hardiboard. Here is where things landed through my research process:
*Hardiboard: A cement board, but cutting it gives off a toxic 'something.' Workers have to wear masks. This just reminds of a modern EIFS or Asbestos situation.
*Cedar Shake: If it were up to me, I would do cedar shake with a factory applied light stain. So pretty!

A lot depends on your enivornment and budget. Good luck! Houzz has helped me through an entire home rehab.

On an interior note, "Mark On Call" is a cool App that allows you to place furniture in any room dimension.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:49PM
dorphil
Maybe you can build a small reverse trellis at the base of the roof on the house with slats that overlap up on top of some of the roof to disguise the sheer slope..
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 3:50PM
hardieboard matrix would be a good solution - use cfb in same way. With brown roof, I would select a medium cocoa tone for the body, and forest green trim and stain for all the wood elements. Try establishing a grid off the lines of windows, doors, trellis/deck elements for panels to fit into like a puzzle.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 4:03PM
mckenziedesign
Thank you for all the comments. I like the trellis idea. I have seen some similar. Very contemporary looking. Will keep looking around for ideas.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 9:38PM
sacapuntaslapioz
You have a very interesting house in the making. I would add an overhang at a 45 degree angle and about 4 feet in the same material, to protect your windows and door from water and snow and give you a visual then do a combination of stone and horizontal hood siding stained in a cedar color. You can have a showcase house there. do not despair
Green Built Modern · More Info
]
    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 7:03AM
Hopefully this dilemma has been resolved.
    Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 9:37AM
Help needed to disguise horrible garden eyesore
We live in France in a cottage which is 250 years old....
Roslyn Lockhart
Help with roofline joining.
How to resolve the rooflines joining problems. New...
mlongs
Need roofline design help
I would like to add a third garage on the left of existing...
Sum I
telepost needs disguised role . was in a cabinet and welll hidden.
pole is in center of room .very hard to work with....
changinghouses
Need help disguising fuse box on guest room wall
The largest and most visible wall in my guest bedroom...
kkell5
Need help for a small living room
Hi, This is my front room as you walk into my house....
moc07726
Need advice - 4 inch countertop backsplash
Hello, I have just had my kitchen refaced with great...
kbspri
Fix the front of my house!!!
We just bought a new house and don't love how the outside...
howellmsue
any help picking exterior paint colors would be appreciated
the last image is the picture of the duplex that I...
Kelley Dockrey
Need Advice for Setting Room
I've only purchased a couch, 2 accent chairs and a...
kilen548
Sponsored Products
Black Mirror Modern Table Lamps for Living Room
ParrotUncle
BAZZ Recessed Lighting 300 Series 4 in. Halogen Recessed Brushed Chrome
$24.00 | Home Depot
Shag Solid Grey Area Rug (6'7 x 9'3)
Overstock.com
Absolve Wall Sconce by Eurofase
$228.00 | Lumens
Winners Only Quails Run 55 in. Media Base - Almond/Wheat - TQ154W
$720.00 | Hayneedle
Demitri Harbor Bronze Three-Light Bath Light
$129.99 | Bellacor
Textured Lines Rug 10' x 14' - MUSHROOM
$4,599.00 | Horchow
Besa Lighting | Tamburo 12 Cable Pendant
$486.00 | YLighting