Still unsure about the granite color - HELP!
dasha81
i am still undecided if we should go dark or light on the granite in our kitchen. originally i thought black for contrast, then i wanted light so we can open it up and make it light/bright, now i'm afraid if we go with Santa Cecilia, it might all blend into each other.

our granite guy suggested going with Santa Cecilia because it's a nice nuetral. he says black granite is hard to maintain and gets dirty easily. our window is on one side and the kitchen doesn't get too much direct light.

we are restaining the floors (Golden Pecan) and will add a darker back splash.

thoughts??
dasha81
here are some pix of santa cecilia....is there enough black/dark in it for our kitche?
July 10, 2013 at 9:40am     
ookie123
definitely need a dark back-splash, paint the island a darker color. Everything just looks like one color now. Chrome handles or something on those cabinets- they look blah.
July 10, 2013 at 9:51am   
thementers
your granite guy is wise to steer you away from black.., just say no to black :) It will show every crumb, every fingerprint, very high maintenance. From: been there done that !!!
July 10, 2013 at 9:53am     
dasha81
Yes, we are adding dark hardware to the cabs and some glass doors. Is there enuf dark in St Cecilia, though, so the room has enuf contrast?
July 10, 2013 at 10:08am   
dasha81
bump...HELP please! :)
July 10, 2013 at 11:50am   
hbmiller
I would do the lighter granite and brushed nickel hardware. I think dark hardware will be to much contrast to your cabinet color. Paint the island a dark color out of the granite
July 10, 2013 at 11:56am   
dasha81
thanks. i'm just so conflicted! i'm afraid the lighter counter won't provide enough contrast...although we will have dark back splash
July 10, 2013 at 11:59am   
Better to see the dirt my pretty, than to eat off it not knowing it's there ;) I have black granite and all you need to do is spray it with a granite cleaner...no biggy.
July 10, 2013 at 12:00pm     
dasha81
Margo, I agree! Our old countertops were black with white speckles and it was so hard to see the crumps, I would miss it when cleaning. :) so you would do dark/black?

how about light island and black counters?
July 10, 2013 at 12:07pm   
dasha81
we've been going back/forth about this for days....makes me want to cry.
July 10, 2013 at 12:08pm   
Like I said, I have black with a dark green I think it is called verde butterfly or verde peacock but overall it looks black. I have had it now for 7 years and still love it. I have white cabinets. I get aggitated when people grumble about the dirt and smudges showing- that is like saying don't put in windows because the glass will show dirt and smudges- sheesh- I am done with my rant ;) carry on with the dark if you think it will make you happy.
July 10, 2013 at 12:15pm   
dasha81
thanks, Margo. i'm not sure what will make me happy....i'm so indecisive! i like the light color but i'm afraid it will be too blended into the rest of the house....will the black in the light granite and the darker backsplash and darker hardware be enough to add contrast?
July 10, 2013 at 8:17pm   
Amy Stanley
I feel like you can see what black would look like since you have black counters now the material isn't going to change the look that much, do you feel it is dark now? Could you get a honed black instead of shiny?
July 10, 2013 at 8:23pm   
katekingg
I had black counter tops and I loved them. Looks like you have dark(almost black) counter tops currently. How do you feel about them showing dirt? If your gut tells you black and it is what you love go for it. Personally I think EVERY SINGLE PERSON has that yellowy brown santa cecillwhatever in their house and frankly it is a bit boring.
July 11, 2013 at 2:39am     
0825sam
I think the black is more updated and expensive looking with your cabinets.
July 11, 2013 at 3:27am     
0825sam
I wouldn't go too dark with backsplash

July 11, 2013 at 3:30am     
July 11, 2013 at 3:36am     
inkwitch
Personally , I must prefer the santa cecelia. The darker just doesn't inspire me in this kitchen. A backsplash in one of those earth-toned (copper?) tiles -- "borrow" or purchase several samples after you get the countertop in. (Can you wait until then to decide?) You need to see the tiles in your kitchen, not the showroom.
July 11, 2013 at 3:39am   
If you want contrast, then I'd go with a honed black granite or soapstone. If you want less contrast and a granite pattern that will serve more as the focus of the kitchen, then St. Cecelia is a good choice. The Achtenberg Residence photo that sam0705 included is probably my favorite combination of counter and backsplash with light cabinetry on Houzz.
July 11, 2013 at 3:53am     
Amy Thompson
Traditional Kitchen by Big Falls Kitchen & Bath Designers Old School Cabinets
July 11, 2013 at 4:11am   
Amy Thompson
ooops tried pasting in a link to photo guess it didn't work... It had light cabinets and really pretty mixed dark and light granite. If you go into brose rooms and kitchens you can type in light cabinets and see many kitchens for ideas
July 11, 2013 at 4:14am   
0825sam
Is the Santa Cecilia something you chose because you like it or something your contractor suggested? Not to make things more confusing but you're not limited to these two choices obviously. If you haven't already I would go through the houzz photos and see what speaks to you when you look at similar colored cabinets.

July 11, 2013 at 4:26am   
0825sam
Really what I am saying is do what you love and don't worry too much about crumbs and smudges.
July 11, 2013 at 4:29am     
dasha81
Thank you!! I like all of the granite just fine. Quite frankly, the pieces I love are way over our budget. lol. The kitchen has 1 window in the breakfast area and 3 large ones on the opposite side. BUT, since it's summer and the trees bloomed it's very shaded and thus darker now. That's why I'm thinking more of a light granite to open it ip. I was originally wanting light, then my husband said dark and I agreed, and now we're back to light. Aaah!

Here is the backsplash I really liked. It won't all like that, maybe beige large tiles and a strip of this mosiac down the middle.

Also, I don't love the color of our current cabinets but hubby won't let me paint them white. Maybe later on, I could see an espresso or dark cherry down the road.
July 11, 2013 at 6:09am   
That's a very busy backsplash to use with the lighter granite, which is also busy. If you are set on that backsplash I'd recommend using the honed black granite. That way the backsplash will be your focus, rather than having counters and backsplash compete. I would not recommend an accent stripe, which just makes everything look busier and will date your kitchen much more quickly than any other feature.
July 11, 2013 at 6:22am     
dasha81
I think Santa Cecilia is popular because it's less expensive than other, fancier granite. I think it's the yellow in it that worries me...I would rather a greyish tint with the same amount of movement.
July 11, 2013 at 6:22am   
dasha81
Feeny, I was concerned about that too. We won't go with an absolute black...but perhaps a darker. But again, if there's movement, the backsplash and counter will still compete for center stage.
July 11, 2013 at 6:24am   
Yes, to be honest, if you are getting a granite that is the least bit busy, I'd go for a simpler backsplash. The biggest mistake homeowners make is ending up with a kitchen with too many busy elements competing with each other. They love each one individually, but don't think about the effect of the whole. Simpler is always more classic.
July 11, 2013 at 6:26am     
dasha81
What do you think of this Sapphire Brown granite?
July 11, 2013 at 6:29am   
mer4343
I can see the black granite (veined with just a hint of another color--you could go deep browns or greys) with that mosaic backsplash perfectly with your current cabinets. No need to have Santa Cecelia clouding it up! All your lines in the living area and kitchen are simple and sleek, without being cold. The black granite and warm cabinets with the mosaic you have chosen are in keeping with that lovely style you already have going for you in that whole space. I would NOT limit the mosaic to a strip, that should be your whole backsplash. It will be stunning! And the oil rubbed bronze cabinet pulls will add a nice tie-in pop.
July 11, 2013 at 6:36am   
mer4343
I would go with a simpler and darker granite and the backsplash you chose. BTW, my parents have black granite with an almost charcoal tweed fleck, and it looks so rich and clean.
July 11, 2013 at 6:38am   
Ann
I agree with everything sam and feeny said. I'd go with a dark leathered granite or a soapstone and a light, very simple backsplash. I also love the Achtenberg residence photo - I'd copy that look if I were you!
July 11, 2013 at 7:09am     
0825sam
I do like the sapphire brown but I agree with what feeny has said above and I think that one also has too much movement for the backsplash. Either the backsplash or the counter should be the star. If you have fallen in love with this backlash I'd either go for the black or consider quartz. It can be more expensive than granite but worth looking into. You then have a lot more options for solid colors to pull from your backsplash.
If you like the brown granite I would do a simple backsplash - but like this photo with the sapphire brown shows simple doesn't have to = boring. You can have something with texture I just would not use a busy mosaic of different shapes and colors.

July 11, 2013 at 7:11am   
Ann
Oh, and I'd like to reiterate feeny's comment, "The biggest mistake homeowners make....." I couldn't agree more!
July 11, 2013 at 7:21am     
Unsure about this paint color
Had my kitchen painted "Light Blue" today but the color...
Help with color. Unsure of what color to put on walls.
I have redone the vanity and tile in my small bathroom...
Electrician coming in 2 days- still unsure
I removed the soffit above the island with the intention...
Help! Still not sure about colour, garage door styles
Thank you those of you who helped when I posted this...
Buyers Remorse
Oh Houzz gurus. We bought a house. It was a bidding...
Kitchen design help
All of this is going except the appliances. Going with...
skylights or solar tubes?
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me decide...
Describe British style in one word!
I've got a challenge for you! In just one word (or...
Need Master Bath Layout Help
We recently added a large addition onto an older farm...