Suggestions for inside china cabinet.
girlzoom45638
I have recently had this cabinet built to house my heirloom china. I painted the wall behind the cabinet green to break up the monotony.
As you can see, I am not afraid of color! However, I think I need to paint the inside back of the cabinet as my china seems to disappear. I have toyed with a couple of options, but can't seem to come up with one that doesn't seem to compete with all of the other colors in the room.
I am including a close-up of the china which has a slight peach/rose highlight which I am considering.
Do you think I should do a muted shade or go bolder and what color would be a good choice taking into consideration all of my surrounding furnishings and accents?
girlzoom45638
This is a close-up of the rug.
July 10, 2013 at 11:48AM   
hbmiller
Paint the back the same color as the wall. Take the accessories off the top of the cabinet. They make the ceiling feel low
July 10, 2013 at 11:50AM     
dberwic
You also need to fill the space in the cabinet better. Risers maybe to lift the plates, this will make it look like the cabinet is framing the plates. Making groupings, rather than a single line up of items.
July 10, 2013 at 11:54AM     
Brenda
do you have more "tall" pieces that you could display? -- dinner plates or platters? I don't think you need to change the color of the cabinet back, I think that the display just needs to be "denser".
July 10, 2013 at 11:55AM     
girlzoom45638
I have many more dinner plates, but I am not sure how to get the arrangement more appealing. I like the idea of risers. I'm not sure what kind or where I would find suitable ones. Any ideas?

Also, I originally had no accessories on top, but it really looked bare. Perhaps a suggestion for that?
July 10, 2013 at 11:59AM   
felixgrantham
I'd paint the back of the cabinet the wall color. You can get little wooden plate stands to raise your plates most places that sell frames (Michael's or Hobby Lobby in the US). You can lay down some books under the teapots to lift them..
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.littlemissartypants.com/images/wood_plate_stand.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.littlemissartypants.com/quickship.html&h=1420&w=1152&sz=135&tbnid=prm6duXW7IIUmM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=73&zoom=1&usg=__nEmpDJIlUFlArEU2Tgr1NjFrktw=&docid=0mbod7xmdqjx3M&sa=X&ei=57HdUYe7GJLLyAHQyYHICg&ved=0CFsQ9QEwAQ&dur=309
July 10, 2013 at 12:13PM     
chrazzy88
Are the shelves glass? If so you could install a light with cord on the ceiling of the cabinet, or use a couple of those adhesive, battery operated. Dot Lights to illuminate the cabinet and the light will filter through the shelves lighting all your china pieces. It will be beautiful. I think I would use mirrors at the back of the china and some candle abras and taller pieces to offset them.
July 10, 2013 at 12:22PM   
girlzoom45638
Thanks to all. I have plate stands AND lights now. I just have lights in the top half of the cabinet. I just didn't have them on for the picture.
The plates are on stands now, but I actually chose low profile rubber covered metal like used in stores. I thought they would blend in better. Perhaps I could elevate the plates on the top shelf a bit and then use risers behind the existing plates and add another row of plates behind them. I have shuffled things many times and still don't have a configuration I like!
I never thought of painting the same shade as the wall, though. I think that is a great idea.
July 10, 2013 at 1:05PM   
Before you finalize paint, get a sample of both the DR and LR colors, or go just a shade or two lighter than each of them on the paint chip card. Paint a piece of poster board cut to fit the back of one of the shelves and see which you prefer - the green or the pink. I think the pink may pick up the pink in your china and enhance it more. You can also buy clear acryllic "lifts" to raise pieces other than plates higher. I'd suggest groupings of threes when you can - a plate vertical behind a cup with a saucer vertical (you can get cup and saucer holders too.) Put visually weightier objects on the bottom to "ground" the cabinet and displays, and keep the top bare. Once you have the density you need in the cabinet, the top will vanish.
July 10, 2013 at 3:52PM   
girlzoom45638
I like the idea of clear acrylic lifts. I live in a small community and don't have access to many sources. Could anyone suggest an online source?

I actually planned to use backer board to paint and fit in place. I wasn't going to paint the cabinet. So, doing a couple of samples would work well. I just wasn't certain which direction to go with color.

Thanks for all suggestions.
July 10, 2013 at 6:31PM   
fredm51
I would go one shade lighter that the wall because the interior of the cabinet receives less light that the wall. HD has v-groved MDF panels that they use for wainscotting which are 6" by 8ft and can be cut to size and glued and painted on the back. You can use molding at the top and bottom to finish it off.
July 10, 2013 at 7:46PM   
Keitha
Add a few things other than the china to make it interesting!
July 10, 2013 at 7:53PM   
2taniya
I would consider using the living room pink color to back your dishes in the cabinet. Display some plates sin your living room for a few days to see if you like the combination.
July 10, 2013 at 9:26PM   
Monica Nordquist Design
Yes a definite contrast would be best. You could even paint the top interior a shade and the bottom interior 2 shades (or positions on the fan deck) darker. A raspberry or warmer red (like a brick red) would look great with the walls.
July 10, 2013 at 9:31PM   
girlzoom45638
It is difficult to see in my previous pictures, but the vast majority of my walls in these three rooms is a shade called pear. The family room, dining room and sunroom are situated with the dining room being in the center of the other two rooms. The green wall is the accent wall behind the china cabinet. The "brick" color is an accent wall in the sunroom.

Taking that into consideration would you still consider the raspberry shade? See photos of predominant wall color.
July 11, 2013 at 9:55AM   
Monica Nordquist Design
No, the raspberry will conflict with the brick. But red and green are complementary colors so maybe a really dark color of the pear color.
July 11, 2013 at 3:38PM   
HERE Design and Architecture
Personally, I think that the cabinetry is too delicate to be multi-colored and the white is too bright. I would paint the whole bank of cabinets one color, inside and out. I think the color should be visually more dense than the dishes so that their lightness and delicacy will be highlighted.
July 11, 2013 at 3:45PM   
hbmiller
Paint the back of cabinet the green. You have to add things other than just china to make the cabinet interesting. Maybe put the things from top of cabinet into cabinet. When you get the interior right the top will be fine with nothing on it
July 25, 2013 at 9:58AM   
hbmiller
Instead of the hanging vases you need a picture. You have enough glass in the cabinet
July 25, 2013 at 10:00AM   
Big Fat Problems with Brand New Kitchen
We are at our wit's end. We need input and ideas! MAJOR...
Kitchen Remodel - Warm White or Arctic White subway tiles?
Good Morning Houzzers! I am currently in the process...
Office decorating
Are artificial trees out ?
. Foyer/dining room
Does anyone have examples of changing foyer into dining...