What color wood floors go with mahogany furniture best?
msalisbury3
July 10, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I plan to install engineered wood floors throughout my new home (except bathrooms) and am torn between darker floors or going lighter. My furniture is traditional mahogany and I plan to paint the walls mostly a white tone with possible accent walls painted a color. The home is 1300 sq ft. Oh and I have a dog that sheds a lot but no kids so otherwise my floors stay pretty clean.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gretmarie
I'm having the same problem. I'm buying a new home a d redoing the kitchen with dark cabinets and white tops thinking of doing the floor in a medium dark wood but not to dark. It gives it a rich modern warm look! I say go dark in the medium tones.
0 Likes   Thanked by msalisbury3    July 10, 2013 at 12:40PM
PRO
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
White walls may not be a great idea. You may be happier with creamy white-soft beige tones to blend with wood.

Colour of flooring depends on whether or not you want contrast with furniture or want more blended look. Also keep in mind, darker floors show dirt , dog hair faster.....

Suggest you bring home some samples and place them under furniture. Also look at the newer ideas - wider planks, brushed......can't recall proper name. Flooring is a sizeable investment so make sure you look around & find what you want, a reputable brand & have it installed professionally. One of the biggest problems is the floor being level. If it is not, the flooring will not install properly and will not last long.

Habitat Re-Stores often have overloads of flooring they have been given by Home Depot, and other businesses. Check them out for same quality but much better prices.
0 Likes   Thanked by msalisbury3    July 10, 2013 at 12:51PM
msalisbury3
My kitchen cabinetry will be dark too. Thanks Gretmarie for your input
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 12:55PM
msalisbury3
Yes I planned on more creamy tones. I just wanted to point out my walls won't be dark as well. I have a concrete slab and definitely plan on having my floors installed professionally (will check out Angie's List for contractors and/or go with the stores recommendation) and make sure they put down a leveler. I'm reading up on the flooring brands and what to look for so hopefully I will be happy wit the quality. Thanks Sharon!
0 Likes   July 10, 2013 at 1:01PM