My grungy 70's Bathroom needs a serious makeover!
Tonya Lee
My Bathroom is so outdated with the 70's flower and wood paneling, grungy sink vanity, broken/missing tiles around tub. No storage space. Lighting is really dark. I don't even know where to begin with only having one bathroom in the entire house!
Dezign Studio Inc
Can you post some pictures, and what is your budget ?Are you looking at changing tiles, ripping out complete to bare studs, or just a makeover with minimum budget.
July 10, 2013 at 8:37pm     
Tonya Lee
Posted pics! Budget under $5000. I really want to rip everything out and start over. This is our only bathroom so we would need to do it in stages or very quickly.
July 10, 2013 at 11:26pm   
Tonya Lee
The flower panels and wood wainscott panels
July 10, 2013 at 11:33pm   
If you plan very carefully in advance, you can get it done quickly by coordinating the contractors and getting the material in advance. Hire a designer to help, even if just a consultation to help you pick the tile. Since this is your only bathroom, you need it done quickly and correctly!
July 10, 2013 at 11:33pm   
karemore55
If you are DIYers, you could do a completely new bathroom yourselves as long as you aren't making any plumbing or electrical changes. You can buy really pretty tile at good price points these days. They sell decent looking vanities at Lowes. If you plan the project very carefully, you can probably get away with just a few days without use of the tub. It will be a huge pain in the butt, but it is do-able. Otherwise it may be better to wait until you can afford to spend a bit more and hire someone. It sounds like just switching out a few things here and there won't be worth the money spent.
July 10, 2013 at 11:41pm   
emilyldaly
The wooden panels could still look appealing if you gave them a washed looked. Painting them white and sanding them down always gives a nice effect. Take away the flower wall paper and retile all walls. White is always safe and also gives an open and natural looks. Just my opinion anyway. Have fun and good luck.
July 10, 2013 at 11:53pm   
katekingg
You could white wash the panels. Replace the tile. throw up a new coat of paint in your favourite colour. Repurpose an old dresser to be a vanity to save some money. Pop a vessel sink on it. If there is room for one of those storage units that sits around the toilet, search for a sturdy one that maybe looks like a built in.
July 10, 2013 at 11:59pm   
Stamps Design Services
You need to plan, plan, plan BEFORE you start! You will need more than drywall, tiles and fixtures....plan for a dumpster and the services of an electrician and a plumber to save time and headaches down the road. It doesn't matter how pretty a bathroom looks, if the pipes leak or the wiring/electrical is not properly installed. Make sure to use drywall for use in a bath, plain drywall will not hold up! If you plan carefully you should be able to have a fully functional bathroom in as little as 72 hours. There is no way to completely redo a bathroom in stages.... With careful planning you should be able to have a gorgeous new bath and stay on budget!
July 11, 2013 at 12:22am   
Tonya Lee
More pics of bathroom
July 11, 2013 at 12:17pm   
Stamps Design Services
If you chose to use a tub and surround (vs tub and tile) and vinyl plank flooring vs tile flooring... you could still replace the drywall and sub floor and have a working bathroom in one day, and a finished bathroom in 2. Also, if you replace the fan with a fan/light you will have two light sources. Just something to consider...
July 11, 2013 at 1:33pm     
redheadedwmn
Hi Tonya! Few questions... Are you thinking total gut job?

Are there any plumbing or electrical changes that need to be done (move sink/tub to new location or adding outlets)?

Do you need to replace the bath tub/shower or toilet or are they in good condition?

Are you planning on doing all or some of the work yourself?

If you are handy, this could be a DIY project, even with it being your only bathroom. Agree with the above posts about planning. For example if you are going to tile the floor, it needs a good 24hours with no walking on before you could grout... so you will need to think about that for your time frame. Things like if you want to remove the paneling and replace with drywall (aka green board), it looks like removing the toilet would need to be done, but if you plan to keep the paneling and paint you could leave the toilet (again depending on flooring).

I re-did my bathroom last year (total gut job) for $2500 total (new tub/shower, new toilet, new tile floor, new walls, new lights, added an outlet, added an exhaust fan, mirror, etc. However it was total DIY so with $5k you have lots to work with and could have an amazing space!
July 11, 2013 at 1:45pm   
Tonya Lee
@Stamps Design Services: I am leaning towards tub with surround as you stated. There is extra space in the tub area that the original owners closed off with glass blocks on the outer perimeter of the tub and made like a shelf on the back of tub with tiles. It's probably only 6 inches in depth. Trying to figure out how to use that extra space for storage without losing that precious real estate in such a small bathroom. I also love the looks of the vanity you picked out but probably needs to be on a smaller scale or maybe something with a vessel sink. See photos attached
July 11, 2013 at 1:58pm   
Tonya Lee
@ redheadedwmn: The plumbing is in decent shape should not have to move. May need to reroute vanity plumbing depending on style as the original goes through base of vanity into the floor. I only have one outlet in the bathroom now so would like a couple extra outlets. Need more lighting just not sure what would be perfect for such a small bath. I have a 2 light vanity bar above the sink but still seems so dark while in shower. It may have something to with the ugly frosted glass doors on the tub. Tub is in decent shape. Toilet will need replacing. I have left over vinyl plank flooring from my kitchen redo, was going to use that on the floor in the bath.
July 11, 2013 at 2:06pm   
Luxury Bath
If you're looking for a tub and wall surround, we offer easy to clean acrylic tubs and showers that can be installed in as little as one day. You also might consider doing a tub to shower conversion, or corner shower, to add extra space in your bathroom. If you're interested in a free quote, visit: http://www.luxurybath.com/free-quote.php
July 11, 2013 at 2:07pm      Thanked by Tonya Lee
Stamps Design Services
They make tubs, surrounds and vanities that come in various sizes, "standard" is 60" (5ft). I am posting a similar vanity 24" wide along with examples of fans w/ lights.... These are from Home Depot, but are available in many other online sites, as well :-)
July 11, 2013 at 3:31pm      Thanked by Tonya Lee
Need help with my bathroom(s). They are tiny and "stuck in the 70's"
They are covered in "tiny tiles", have plastic dropped...
my bathroom needs a serious makeover!!
I have wallpaper that looks like it's from 1989! And...
My bathroom is from the 1950's and in serious need of remodeling.
We purchased our house last year and have worked hard...
I need my bathroom updated it is the original 70's bathroom I hate it
It has the small square tile half way up the walls...
I desperately need to update my 70's bathroom and/or laundry room.
Typical 70's master bath, 1 sink, bathtub/shower combo,...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Type of style?
I'm trying to redo my bedroom and I really like this...
Hiding the well head and curb appeal please!
This is a lake house. It sits close to the road as...
Bedrooms in a Grade II listed house
Could I please have comments/advice of placing the...