Bathroom needs update!
ritabrown
My 89-yr. old Mother-in-law who has Alzheimer's moved in with us in March needs handicap bathroom. We have a sunken tub which needs to be taken out & replaced with a handicap shower only. It would help our lives immensely!
armygirl1987
What is your question.
July 11, 2013 at 5:27am   
ritabrown
Suggestions for removal of sunken tub and Handicap shower install. More cabinet storage space.
July 11, 2013 at 5:30am   
armygirl1987
Can you afford professional help.
July 11, 2013 at 6:15am   
ritabrown
No, not only am I caring for my mother-in-law with Alzheimer's, but I have a rare disorder that requires 2 brain surgeries, that will not be covered by insurance if I go out of state. They are only experienced with this surgery at specific out of state hospitals. I need divine intervention!
July 11, 2013 at 9:03am     
There are some great pictures of accessible bathrooms on Houzz if you want to start with some inspiration. http://www.houzz.com/photos/bath/accessible
July 11, 2013 at 9:08am     
armygirl1987
So who will be doing the work for you. Can you see if there are local builders in your area that does charity work.
July 11, 2013 at 9:15am   
Jayme H.
@ritabrown...have you researched for area handicapped associations/groups?
Sometimes you can get free help. Hope you can find some help to ease things up for you. Good luck.
July 11, 2013 at 9:16am     
ritabrown
No, I didn't know there are such places. I will look into it. Thank yoo!
July 11, 2013 at 9:42am     
Jayme H.
@ritabrown..You can ask for referral from local social services..often they can steer you in the right direction. Again, best wishes to you.
July 11, 2013 at 11:03am     
sstarr
@ritabrown, I went through this last year with my husband's father... my heart goes out to you, I know how hard this is. The VNA has some services which are covered under Medicare... check into this if you haven't already.
Best regards.
July 11, 2013 at 4:01pm     
ritabrown
What is VNA? I am trying to get Veteran's Benefit Aid, but it has been over a year & they are very back logged.
July 11, 2013 at 4:20pm   
armygirl1987
@rita-I am a veteran myself, what benefits aid are you trying to get and for who. I am also interning at the VA. MAYBE I CAN HELP.
July 11, 2013 at 5:43pm     
sstarr
The Visiting Nurse Association. They are in many areas of the country... if you Google them and your area, you may find a local association.
July 11, 2013 at 6:28pm     
Mari O'Connor
My mother, nearly 89, has a similar bathtub set up but her safety bar is clamped near the back of the bathtub, so that she has room to hold the bar, swing one leg in, sit down on the seat, while swinging the other leg in.. She leaves a shower wand hanging so just has to pull the shower curtain shut (she has a double shower curtain, water-proof inside, pretty one outside) turn the water on and wash herself. I wonder if you could either change your safety bar to the rear of the tub or turn the bath chair around, meaning that someone will have to shower her.
July 11, 2013 at 9:32pm   
N.O.R,LLC
where are you living?
July 11, 2013 at 9:40pm   
Nancy Walton
Try contacting your state Council on Aging, Aging in place, Medicaid, the Alzheimer's Association (You might also want to investigate the support groups the Alzheimer's Association provides, as well as respite care). Ask me how I know... I have been caregiver of three family members with Alzheimer's and Alzheimer's-related dementia.
July 11, 2013 at 10:19pm   
nwduck
See if you have a local Rebuilding Together organization. It's a solid group. Focus is on doing projects for people that are disabled and/or financially stressed.
July 11, 2013 at 10:52pm   
Don Or Janet Cook
Not to be rude but if your mom-in -law is 89, I would not go to the expense and mess (which is stressful in itself) to do a bathroom reno but would hire a health care aid to come in and help her bathe. Better use of funds I think and less hassle to boot. Her dementia will get to the place where she will not be able to take care of her own grooming and you will require help anyway. Have you seen the poles that can be installed beside a bed or tub? They have a grab bar on them and will rotate with the person to give them support as they get in and out of the tub. Also, there are tub benches that sit partially outside of the tub that people can sit on and then slide over into the tub. You need a consult by an occupational therapist to help you set up your bathroom in an efficient and inexpensive way. We have OTs available through our hospital based home care here in Canada. Maybe you have something similar where you are? I think you just need to hook in with the correct agencies to get some advice and help. Best wishes to you and mom-in-law.
July 11, 2013 at 11:13pm     
I want to update bathroom No, I NEED to update my bathroom!!
My wife and I got married in 2010, we moved to my family...
1960's Bathroom NEEDS some design love (bathroom update)
We moved into this adorable 1960's ranch last year...
My bathrooms are small and I need a new updated bathroom
The bathrooms are narrow; one has the old cast iron...
I need my bathroom updated it is the original 70's bathroom I hate it
It has the small square tile half way up the walls...
I need to up-date my bathroom(s)
I have a postage stamp bathroom, the kind where you...
design ideas for a very small house
I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need...
Cannot figure out this space
Our foyer opens out into the "Great Room". There is...
Using soapstone for kitchen countertop. Washer/dryer to be housed in a
Also concerned about accessibility of water shutoff...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Thoughts and/or suggestions on my updated nook?
I previously posted, asking for some direction on what...