Bathroom remodel
lliraJuly 11, 2013
I just bought this old house and the bathroom is horrible. Cracked pink and blue tiles, a broken, dirty vanity, and a dark and scary shower are the highlights! It also includes the original tub and fixtures and a lovely window surrounded by peeling baby-pink paint. Awful!
Jeannie Nguyen
I think you're about the 5th-6th bathroom I've seen on here with old pink styles! Makes me wonder how many more people out there have this same bathroom. :P What style are you interested in?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 2:23PM
llira
I want to go traditional since it's an older home, but on the cleaner line side.
    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 3:01PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Your bathroom was popular in the 50's. My family actually had a Nash Rambler that color. But the blue throws me for a loop! LOL Yes, you deserve a remodeled bathroom. If your budget allows you could hire a professional to come in, but if not, then you are in for a lot of fun...The tile can be removed and replaced with something more modern. You are lucky that the bathroom does have a separate shower stall though. Keeping the plumbing where it is saves a lot of money and work. But I also would not be surprised to find that the toilet leaked around the base at one point and the subfloor may need replacement and the floor joists may have problems as well. Keep us updated. If it's your only bath you may need to make arrangements for that.
    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 3:23PM
mattnj
My bathroom is very similar with pink and black tiles. So looking forward to gutting the whole thing. Your tub is in much better shape then mine.
    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 6:24PM
hparks74
It reminds of a pregnancy test gone WRONG. Lol:)
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:07PM
sstarr93
Here's a semi-traditional use of your space. Removing the thick-walled tub and shower gives back space to the room. Overall, a much lighter and airier feel.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 8:11PM
Durpetti Interiors
Have you set a budget? The above plan by sstar93 is nice. You will save lots of money by keeping all the plumbing where it is currently located. Lots of great stone, marble and porcelain tile out there. Marble is a great choice if you are looking for timeless finishes that are clean and fresh. Best of luck!
    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 8:23PM
sophiec32
I would re-tile it that would be your preference on what tile then in the shower check for mold in the walls because if water hits walls that do not have tile on them it creates mold so then tile it higher up to the ceiling then choose a paint color. Also go to Home Depot one day and look for a new updated vanity
    Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 5:17AM
llira
Thanks so much for all your ideas! Yes, I agree on keeping existing plumbing. My ex-husband, plumber, had agreed to remodeling this and another half bath that backs up to it when I bought the house, but has since backed out. Anything to save on costs is helpful!
There WAS mold in the shower until I went over it a few times with tilex. I used several other cleaners, including vinegar, but tilex did the best job. Had to scrub the soap scum with magic eraser before I could really get that off, though.
The floor tile is heavily cracked ... and pink...so retiling would be great, new vanity ( the existing is very water damaged inside) and a new tub would be wonderful. It also needs paint and the window replaced.
All if this is why I entered the contest! I ripped up filthy carpet to restore hardwood floors throughout the rest of the house, have to replace other useless aluminum windows throughout the house, refinish kitchen cabinets ( including repair from a small fire), repair the laundry room after water damage, and redo the kitchen floors that are old cracked linoleum. There's not much left for the bathroom!

Laura
1 Like    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 11:26AM
Hudson Street Design
Laura... that is a gut and redo. Anything new you put in will make the rest look even worse.

Wish I had better news. joani
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 12:03PM
kitchen remodel floor refinishing and 2 Bathroom Remodels
We have small Bathrooms and want to make best use of...
gmaof7
Cabin Bathroom Remodel
We updated this bathroom to enhance the rustic surroundings...
Linly Designs
budget bathroom remodel
I am getting ready to start a remodel in my bathroom....
almanorigo
BEFORE PICTURES - Edwardsville, IL Bathroom Remodel
Bathroom remodel in a 100 year old home in Edwardsville,...
American House Lift, Inc.
Bathroom Remodel
With just a few minor changes we were able to create...
DeLeers Construction, Inc.
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
Whorehouse bathroom! Help!
I bought a 1952 custom home, and after doing some work...
kristy2
Any electricians out there - please help......
Hi there. I am hoping to wallpaper this wall. Originally...
mskdj
Curb appeal: how to make this exterior more interesting, inviting?
Hubby and I are moving into our first home together....
aprildch
Hello how can i inprove this building door entrance?
The door is the entrance of a seven floors building...
anamaguia