Need Help in Study!
Julia SargentJuly 11, 2013
We recently moved and need help! I have never decorated a home and do not know where to begin! I am more traditional but love the Shabby Chic look. I have 1 year old twins, a 10 Year Old, A Husband, A Dog and very busy life. I want a home that looks comfortable and inviting, but stylish. Thinking Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen, but plan to purchase items from more eccletic local shops. Thank you
Leslie Hildebrand Interiors
What are you hoping to use your Study for? Will you have functional office needs or will it be another place to hang out, watch tv? Or maybe more like a living room/entertaining space? I notice a bar in there?? First job is to decide what you want to use your square feet for. Then we can decide what to buy to put in it :)
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:19AM
the essentials inside
Hi jss4977! Is that a fishing frog I see in the hall? Looks awesome!

What do you want to do with this room - use it as a living room, a play room, an office, a "den"? Do you want to keep the bar in there?

Could you let us know the dimensions of the room? Also - do you know the paint color? It is coming across on my screen as slightly pink but that might not be right.

Lyvonne
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:21AM
the essentials inside
Leslie - we are thinking alike - our posts must have crossed! :)

Lyvonne
1 Like    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:21AM
Julia Sargent
The color is more an eggshell. Very neutral! Our latest plan is to use the room as multifunctional. Thinking a small desk, bookshelf and two club chairs and an ottoman. I will have to get dimensions.
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:28AM
Julia Sargent
Yes....a fishing frog:)
    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:31AM
Leslie Hildebrand Interiors
Well just as a basic layout - here's a start - I'd use your back "focal" wall (the one with a canvas hanging on it now) and I'd begin to create a nice vignette that would have your 2 bookshelves flanking either side of a painted desk. I'd also hang a great piece of art (or mirror maybe) over the desk. Find a statement chair for the desk (or a great vintage french chair you could slipcover or upholster or even paint)

I would also make sure your bookshelves are full height in the space so they don't look puny! Then I would float your 2-3 slipcovered shabby chic club chairs in the center on an area rug with a great round ottoman in the center of them. I'd hang another larger piece of art (or large french leaner mirror) on the left wall (where your black bar is hovering near). Find some wonderful gauzy sheer linen or other fabric for your window treatments to keep things in that Shabby Chic breezy vibe! Depending on the colours of choice - find a great neutral for your walls (gray leaning, Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter, warmer leaning Natural Linen or Grant Beige or Pratt and Lambert Feather Gray (great with linen) ) all are very light and airy.

I hope this is a good start to your inspiration for your new decorating project! Have fun with it and enjoy your hunt for some wonderful things :)
1 Like    Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 10:20AM
Transforming Study Into a Laundry Room - Color, design, Style help needed.
I have a study I've been using for scrap booking. I'm...
michellenh
need help for the study area of my daughter...
where can i put the study area for this room?
Rosabel Masangkay
need help in study room
what is minimum size of study room with just study...
Mariyah Wala
Need help with our study
A few months ago, I solicited ideas for how to redesign...
clyon
Need help with my Study
Our study (11' x 11' ) is the messiest room in the...
kbordne
New construction
We are closing on our new house in Feb. I need help...
asawant
Backsplash help please!
Any suggestions on backsplash?? We really love subway...
connorberry
bedrooms with no closets
Me and my husband have a total of three dressers and...
missprince
Need help with my Living room rededsign
Here is my living room pictures, I am looking to change...
Mitra Salmasi
brighten a dark paneled living room
We have a 50's house with a long dark panels living...
marysamb