Choosing hardware for kitchen cabinets
starmint9
Hello I am trying to choose hardware for kitchen cabinets and do not know where to start. Do you have any style tips? the cabinets are light oak which speak 'country' to me, but I want more of a rustic, transitional look without spending a ton. I hoping to change this with hardware. Thinking oil rubbed bronze knobs and pulls but would like some different ideas.
Pam P.
Polished nickel would be my call since it would match the appliances and faucet.
July 11, 2013 at 11:38am        Thanked by starmint9
Style By Lindsay Brandon
I think you are on the right track with the oil rubbed bronze knobs and pulls. You will then want to replace the faucet to match which could cost an additional $150-300. You could consider painting the cabinets to take the 'country' look away. The lines are nice on the cabinets and don't inherently say 'country', except for the lite oak finish.
July 11, 2013 at 11:46am     
indianpatti
To get away from the country look, I would go with brushed nickel hardware similar to these:

Light oak can also be modern ...
July 11, 2013 at 11:52am   
starmint9
that helps. thanks! but i also want more of a rustic antique look. was thinking dark to match the floors but not sure if that's too much.
July 11, 2013 at 11:54am     
starmint9
oh and the kitchen is brand new so too late to change the faucet. now am i stuck with the nickel?
July 11, 2013 at 12:05pm   
anne dee
tho this kitchen does not resemble your kitchen (but has a rustic feel) the hardware appears to be ORB and the faucet nickel.

July 11, 2013 at 12:14pm     
0825sam
I don't think you need to switch your faucet if you do orb. I also like black. Here is an article on mixing metals.

July 11, 2013 at 12:21pm     
0825sam
Do you have anywhere in the kitchen you could add some rustic industrial lighting? That could be a way to introduce something else of that finish and tie things together. Bar stools could be another way.
July 11, 2013 at 12:22pm     
starmint9
yes i was also going to add pendant lighting and bar stools! great idea. was thinking of dressing it up with some crystal but that's not rustic I know. i am new to design and hard to decide.
July 11, 2013 at 12:30pm     
0825sam
Great - I think pendant lighting and barstools similar to those in this kitchen would contribute to the look you are going for

July 11, 2013 at 12:35pm   
0825sam
Is your faucet polished nickel or brushed? If polished and its the only polished thing in the room you may want to add something else with that finish even if its just a bowl on the counter.
July 11, 2013 at 12:38pm     
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Here are a few photos to give you some ideas…

This kitchen uses hardware with the oiled bronze look you are looking for. It’s more rustic, yet classic and would look good on lighter cabinetry as well.
Mountain Resort Kitchen
Mountain Resort 1
Mountain Resort 2
7122-1RI-C Rustic Iron Cabinet Pull by Berenson
Here’s links to the hardware manufacture’s page with close-ups… http://www.topknobs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?opt=prod&l1=0&l2=1&prod_id=M629&prod_type=-1 http://www.topknobs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?opt=prod&l1=0&l2=1&prod_id=M671&prod_type=-1

You could also look for “Silver Pewter” or “Rustic Iron” Hardware, which will give you more of the silver color to go with the stainless appliances, yet have that dark, worn rustic look you are looking for without being as dark as oil rubbed bronze. See these examples…
2985-1RN-C Rustic Nickel Pull by Berenson Hardware
9962-2AP-P Antique Pewter Bail Pull by Berenson Hardware
7128-1RI-C Rustic Iron cabinet knob by Berenson
Scroll Suite cabinet hardware collection in Iron

This kitchen shows bin pulls and knobs in brushed nickel (like mentioned above) if you wanted to match your appliances…
Traditional Farmhouse

I hope this helps your search.
July 11, 2013 at 12:45pm        Thanked by starmint9
Cil Bullard
on the lighting side- I am doing something similar in my kitchen, and I am making ORB mason jar pendants and chandeliers.
July 11, 2013 at 12:50pm     
starmint9
thank you! is that the going rate for good knobs over $10p?
July 12, 2013 at 6:13pm     
starmint9
ps i love the mountain resort and the traditional farmhouse i just don't know how i can achieve that with the cupboards i have but this will help!
July 12, 2013 at 6:20pm     
Ann
I think the traditional farmhouse look would be great in your kitchen. I personally don't like the mountain resort as much. I think ORB is a fine idea and brushed nickel would look great too. Either way, I think your faucet is as it should be with a stainless sink. I think a kitchen faucet is always best in nickel with a stainless sink, but the cabinet hardware can certainly be either choice and it will look great, as the examples above show.
July 12, 2013 at 6:57pm     
Ann
Oh, and I meant to add, your idea of ORB with your dark floor is a good thought.
July 12, 2013 at 6:58pm     
starmint9
I am leaning towards the brushed nickel or pewter. I just realized what I don't like about the cabinets is that they are builder grade and I wish I would have gone darker. Which hardware would transform it the most and give it more of a tuscan/warmer look?
July 14, 2013 at 4:12pm     
Ann
I think ORB would give a Tuscan look more than nickel, but both would look nice.
July 14, 2013 at 4:45pm     
Tips on Choosing Kitchen Cabinet Hardware
I really like the euro bar pulls. But what length?...
Please help choose cabinet hardware for our kitchen renovation
We replaced our appliances,sink and countertops as...
Choosing kitchen cabinet hardware
I need some advice on choosing knobs, pulls, and/or...
need help choosing hardware for my kitchen cabinets
I recently renovated my kitchen and am going for a...
Help arranging furniture in living room
Hi, I can't decide what's the best furniture arrangement...
What do you miss most about your parent's house?
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell,...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
Need backsplash suggestions
We are building a home and are doing our own backsplash....
Back splash and colors
We recently put in a back splash, and we aren't sure...