I hate my travertine floors
kathiang
I have an open concept living home, not many walls. Travertine floors throughout, except bedrooms. I feel like the warmth is missing. Any cost effective suggestions? I have thought about just having it taken up, and putting in hardwood, but not sure if that is an upgrade or downgrade, or if that would be just to much wood. I have alder cabinets. Also, I am considering painting my doors black, what are your thoughts.

Thanks for your help.
simplify52
I like your floors and I think they look very nice with your cabinetry. What I am thinking is the wall color doesn't blend with the floor color. It could just be the way it's reading on my computer but they appear to not work together. Perhaps this is all that's wrong here. I love the wall color but it doesn't look right with the floors IMO.
July 11, 2013 at 6:35pm        Thanked by kathiang
indianpatti
Is it the look of the floor, the feel of the floor under your feet or both that you do not like?
July 11, 2013 at 6:38pm      Thanked by kathiang
kathiang
It always looks dirty to me, even though I know it is not. I think it's the color highs and lows.
July 11, 2013 at 6:42pm   
Jackie P
Can you bring some warmth & cushioning in with some area rugs - you could purchase some large & very high end persian carpets and still be way ahead cost wise from pulling up the travertine & installing hardwood floors. Also travertine generally runs more expensive than hardwoods. Are you in a climate where the cold is an issue? For my .02 I would put replacing that beautiful travertine as a last resort. Hire an interior designer first to see if he or she can solve the problem in a less drastic (and expensive!) way.

Hard to say on the black doors without seeing how it would change things.
July 11, 2013 at 6:45pm        Thanked by kathiang
Jackie P
Good call on the wall color simplify52. I agree. Also stark white trim is way too harsh for that beautiful travertine. A cream, or any color that would complement the floor color would be important for the trim - especially sitting right next to it. Maybe all you need is different wall & trim color.
July 11, 2013 at 6:50pm     
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
I like your floors, but I agree with the above comments that your wall and trim colors are fighting with the floor. Alsoagree that area rugs will bring color + warmth + texture. Persian carpets / rugs were suggested, this is one of many ways to go, I think you might want rugs that are more contempory in feel, but that is a matter of taste.
Also I don't see black doors working in your design palette.
PyramidDG.com
July 11, 2013 at 6:57pm        Thanked by kathiang
kathiang
I was thinking the paint was wrong too. A designer picked the colors, she said trust me...so I did, and my gut still said it's not right. It's not easy finding a designer.
July 11, 2013 at 7:00pm     
olldroo
Your walls look grey to me and I am not a fan of grey and beige at all. Depending on your climate I would paint the walls a cream or a deeper beige and use area rugs to add warmth and cushioning as Jackie P suggested. I would not paint the timber black either, it will only add to the cold look. If you feel the timber is in need of some rejuvenation, try rubbing oil into the grain with steel wool, it will remove any built up grime that is not obvious and give your timber a lovely glow.
July 11, 2013 at 7:04pm      Thanked by kathiang
Amy Wax
I think your floors are beautiful, although it may not be what you would have chosen. I also think the paint color does not help the floors, and brings your focus to the floors rather than the rest of the room. I know your designer chose your wall color, and perhaps she had an idea in mind that did not translate in your home. Two things would help your floors. One is to get rugs to cover areas such as a living room area rug, or a dining/ hallway rug. I would not cover all of the floors just some areas to break it up and add some color into your space. In terms of colors., I think you have a great place to start with, and it would be helpful if you had a color theme to use as your guide in buying additional elements for your home to take away from the floor. I created an app that is designed to help both designers and homeowners choose their colors. The app, called Color911 (Color911.com) is color help at your fingertips. It has several features. You can create your own palette of colors, or use the pre-made color themes so that you can visualize the colors together. Use any number of colors from any theme. I attached a color theme (a screen shot from the app) that you might like, there are many many color themes to choose from this is just one example. Once you find a theme you want to work with, you can use this as a guide for choosing anything .. wall color.. rug color...accent color... pillows...whatever you want. I hope you like this theme.. its only one among many in Color911. I hope it inspires you!
July 11, 2013 at 7:08pm      Thanked by kathiang
olldroo
Amy - what a co-incidence, you posted that palette on another thread and it has been in my mind since as it is a gorgeous combination of colours, especially for a cooler climate. Those deeper beiges and even the rust/orange shades were just what I had in mind for the walls - depending of course what other colours are in the rooms.
July 11, 2013 at 7:14pm        Thanked by kathiang
Amy Wax
I have many themes in the Color911 app (Color911.com) but there are definitely some that are so versatile. I have been working in the color business for many years and I truly believe if people have the right colors to use as a guide, the decorating process can be so much more fun!
July 11, 2013 at 7:24pm        Thanked by kathiang
fredm51
Is the backsplash travertine also? I think some of the choices may have been rushed. Trying to be more mellow on these discussions. I take it that your did not get your dream kitchen. I would leave the floor, paint the cabinets and wall to get what you want.
July 11, 2013 at 7:25pm      Thanked by kathiang
kathiang
Amy, I will look at your website. I've attached an additional picture, showing my living area. Would your color theme stay the same?
July 11, 2013 at 7:27pm   
olldroo
Everything is very muted, which I don't dislike but I think a creamy caramel on the walls and some blue and orange accessories (not too much) would make a huge difference to your room.
July 11, 2013 at 7:32pm        Thanked by kathiang
teamdavies
I wasn't a fan of travertine floors until i went in a beautiful mansion in Auburn Alabama, it was filled with travertine... now i love them. i have painted all my door black and absolutely love them. the only thing i would change in your house is the grey paint on the walls. Sherwin Williams has a beautiful paint called restrained gold that i have painted several homes with this color. you will never tire of it. it looks as if your kitchen walls may be a chocolate color maybe like Sherwin Williams Kaffee... not sure but the grey will come accross cold with the other warm colors you have. Tricorn Black is what i have painted my doors, use the lowest sheen available.
July 11, 2013 at 7:37pm      Thanked by kathiang
kathiang
My colors are actually not gray, they are more in the green tones. SWW 6157, 6158, 6160
July 11, 2013 at 7:43pm   
sharpkl
I think the travertine is beautiful. Actually it is a very warm looking stone if paired with the proper colors. I know it's tricky because I had the same experience with my bathroom. Once the wall color was fine it changed the look.

We used Bleeker beige by BM. It does look like it has a green undertone but not as extreme as your walls. The color can look different depending on the light. I have found it to work in every room and is a neutral for ME. Maybe not for you. I wonder if that's what happened in your room. Maybe the designer has used this color with good results but this time it didn't work?

I would suggest large sample boards of a couple colors you think would be good and move them around as the light changes.

I also like the alder wood and maybe it would be good to wait and change the wall and trim and then reassess?
July 11, 2013 at 7:58pm      Thanked by kathiang
kathiang
I do have a couple of brick colored chairs, and the couches are a chocolate brown.
July 11, 2013 at 7:59pm     
olldroo
Your chairs and couches are great colours - note that brick colour is similar to the shades in Amy's chart.
July 11, 2013 at 8:09pm      Thanked by kathiang
Jackie P
here is a faux finish paint - it may not be for you if the variation in shades of travertine bother you. But see how they look together, perhaps if the whole thing were of a uniform variability the floor may stand out less. Also a picture more traditional paint application in solid shades with a travertine floor.
July 11, 2013 at 8:19pm        Thanked by kathiang
Amy Wax
There are many themes to choose from each one is different. Your living room colors are a but more subdued. I know I have themes that are quieter but actually what is great about the color themes in the Color911 app, (Color911.com) is that you can choose any number of colors within a theme. So if you choose not to use some of the brighter colors, the more subtle colors within the theme I posted seem pretty close. You can also create your own palettes and adjust any of the colors. There are over 70 themes to choose from.. my guess is that there will be at least one that will inspire you!
July 11, 2013 at 8:38pm        Thanked by kathiang
siennasaddler
What sort of look are you going for, and what is your budget? You could certainly pull up the travertine and put in hard wood, but I personally think that is cost-prohibitive. What sort of look are you trying to achieve? The current look seems traditional/Tuscan, but if you wanted something different, it would help to know that, in order to guide responses in that direction.
July 11, 2013 at 10:30pm        Thanked by kathiang
Nancy Walton
It looks to me as if the decorator picked the wall color to go with the beautiful granite over your fireplace, but didn't take into consideration the other colors in your furnishings. The paint looks like it is too grey a green, making it a cool green instead of a yellower-based green, which would make it a warm color. I agree that the trim color is too stark against the wall color and the tile. Something in Navaho white might make a difference.
July 11, 2013 at 10:49pm        Thanked by kathiang
Brian Shelton
I think the wall color is fine with it. Travertine is a lot harder than concrete and 1/2 the price of hardwood in my area. I love the look of it but my wife and I in our 20s had to wear flip flops on it it was so hard. Its warm in the summer and ice cold the winter. Never again!
July 12, 2013 at 3:14am      Thanked by kathiang
NexG Interiors
what i thought is try to change your wall and ceiling color.

interiors designers
glitzy
I have travertine in my kitchen, living room, dining room, hallways and laundry room and I bless the builder every day. It is the perfect choice for flooring. It doesn't bother me when the dog comes in with muddy paws, or my husband cleans fish in the sink in the laundry room. I used large area rugs where needed and it looks elegant in my very formal home. My walls are a warm creamy Farrow & Ball color called Tallow, the woodwork is the semi-gloss version. The color goes beautifully with travertine. I live in Idaho and do not find these floors too cold in the winter, but it is delightfully cool in the summer. If you warm up your wall and woodwork colors, you may fall in love with your floors!
July 12, 2013 at 3:49am        Thanked by kathiang
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
On thing you might consider is to light up your ceiling. Below are several variations of colour and how they impact the look of your floor and cabinets. No suggesting these are colours you should choose. This exercise is to show you how changing the colour can create a completely different look.
July 12, 2013 at 4:32am      Thanked by kathiang
2 more
July 12, 2013 at 4:33am     
2 more
July 12, 2013 at 4:38am        Thanked by kathiang
2 more
July 12, 2013 at 4:39am      Thanked by kathiang
Joseph Hartley
People pay a lot of money for floors like yours. Keep them!!!! I wouldn't go with a dark wall color go with lighter colors and try and stay away from the brown families in paint. Try one of these colors in the kitchen SW 0063 Blue Sky, SW 6752 Larchmere by Sherwin Williams. Your kitchen is way too dark. If you paint the ceiling go a white or a pale shade of your wall color. With the ceiling the same shade as the walls it makes it look like a cave. Don't be afraid of brighter bolder colors. Hope this helps
July 12, 2013 at 5:05am      Thanked by kathiang
Joseph Hartley
Black high gloss doors look great in light colored rooms be careful you don't want so many dark colors that it closes in your home.
July 12, 2013 at 5:13am      Thanked by kathiang
papillon2
As others have said, I think the travertine is to die for! Keep it, and work with the wall colors. I'd go with lighter walls than others have suggested. Maybe a less contrasting rug ( i.e. not black )in the living area so that it blends better, but still adds accent colors.
July 12, 2013 at 5:53am      Thanked by kathiang
Nancy Walton
Please don't paint those beautiful cabinets!
July 12, 2013 at 7:39am        Thanked by kathiang
Nancy Walton
If your decoratoe picked out the colors for the paint and said, "trust me," then call your decorator and have her come back and re-paint at her cost. Tell her that the colors don't jjive with your personality and you are getting depressed--I would be depressed with all those dark colors!
July 12, 2013 at 7:42am        Thanked by kathiang
julianay
Yep, yep! I think all of you are right on track. The floors are lovely and the wall color is wrong. Rugs would be good and perhaps changing the backsplash to some colorful patterned mosaic tiles? Not sure what your lighting is like, could be just the photo but it looks REALLY dark! Some cans or track lighting may help you.
July 12, 2013 at 8:41am      Thanked by kathiang
Joseph Hartley
I might be wrong but I dont think she was talking about painting the cabinets black. I think she's referring to her room entry doors
July 12, 2013 at 11:41am        Thanked by kathiang
help I hate my floor!!!
Demolition of my kitchen just happened today and my...
i hate my Porcelain Floor
Help me please , i'm living in a rented apartment and...
I hate my counter tops!! What color do I paint my kitchen?!?
My counter and back splash are an ugly shade of blue....very...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Yay or Nay? Indoor fairy lights
Are you a fan of using fairy lights indoors? The twinkle...
How to connect my balcony any deck?
Randomly, I have a small balcony off my sun room with...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Decorating dining room...ideas please!
Need ideas and examples pics of items to finish decorating...