Is this "Vintage Cowgirl" theme over the top or just right?
D. Fowler
Been decorating my renovated bath in my 1938 Bungalow. Was going for a Farmhouse/Vintage Cowgirl theme. Do I need to tone it down some more or have I finally hit the right note? Thank you!
N.O.R,LLC
nice job
July 11, 2013 at 9:41PM      Thanked by D. Fowler
N.O.R,LLC
i m not sure about soap dispenser
July 11, 2013 at 9:42PM      Thanked by D. Fowler
jengermen
OMG SO CUTE!! LOVE THE SINK.. GREAT IDEAL!
July 11, 2013 at 9:44PM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
Here are a few more photos
July 11, 2013 at 9:46PM     
lkg1984
Love it - yeehaw!
And if you ever find a cowboy boot soap dispenser, lasso it!
July 11, 2013 at 9:47PM        Thanked by D. Fowler
gkemp
very cute yet, tasteful.
July 11, 2013 at 10:07PM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Fred S
Very nice. I don't know what is wrong with the soap dispenser, but have you seen the mason jar soap dispensers?
July 11, 2013 at 11:53PM        Thanked by D. Fowler
OnePlan
Yeeeeha !! Love it !!! :-)
July 12, 2013 at 1:53AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
indianpatti
Very creative ... love it! Would like to see some color brought into the room ... maybe on the shower curtain/towels?
July 12, 2013 at 4:24AM      Thanked by D. Fowler
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Very creative.
July 12, 2013 at 5:07AM      Thanked by D. Fowler
Brenda
it is super cute and creative. love the idea above for a mason jar soap dispenser.

I like the collected look of different frames over the toilet, but I would make them all the same color.

And I would find (or make) a fun shower curtain that takes it over the top and that you can leave closed.
July 12, 2013 at 5:14AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Brenda
oh my ... I typed in "cowboy" into the Houzz search engine and look what I found ...

]
July 12, 2013 at 5:15AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Genevieve
I like it you are doing a good job but perhaps you need a little more to complete it ,nothing major ....that window is it facing anything? if yes I would add some adhesive film to create the frosted glass look,and change the shower curtain with a more vibrant colour if you could find bandana fabric or continue to be creative as you already are ,purchase a bunch of bandanas and sew them together quilt style and obtain a very unique shower curtain you will need to add a liner that's all .
July 12, 2013 at 5:17AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
Love all the suggestions! Thank you so much! Hadn't thought of the mason jar. Will see if I can find one! Love my brown shower curtain and was trying to tie all the brown tooled leather together that's in the room. But, maybe a ruby red curtain would be better? It would tie the pops of red I have in the room? I've been on the fence about the brown frame with the two white ones. Was also thinking it might look better if they were all white. As for the galvanized tub....I DEFINITELY want one of those!! But, I was on such a tight budget (*sigh*)...... The bathroom window faces into the backyard and neighbors can't see in. Since I live alone and it brings so much light into the room during the day, I've always been hesitant to frost the glass. But, I do have a blind you can drop if guests come over! Wow...you've all given me such great ideas! Thank you! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!
July 12, 2013 at 6:54AM     
hparks74
@river valley cabinet that would hurt.
July 12, 2013 at 6:59AM     
decoratinglady5
I love the pics on the wall..would you consider a different shower curtain?
July 12, 2013 at 7:18AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Vivian
As long as one of those pictures are Annie Oakley I would say you have done a great job. She is our gal.
July 12, 2013 at 7:20AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
christon281
I would switch the toilet seat out for a regular white one. Everything else looks wonderful.
July 12, 2013 at 7:37AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
Vivian, the Broadway poster next to the medicine cabinet is "Annie Get Your Gun." Can't forget ol' Annie! You can also see the beadboard ceiling I had installed.
July 12, 2013 at 7:51AM     
anniebird
Good gosh a'mighty...this is darlin', Darlin'! What about a bandana print shower curtain? Or a ditsy print of some sort? I think you need a print in here somewhere, but overall, my ten gallon hat is off to you - creative and plumb cute:)

Here's something for sale on etsy that gets at my suggestion: http://www.etsy.com/listing/118129951/vintage-printed-prarie-floral-cotton?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_query=ditsy+print+fabric&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all
July 12, 2013 at 8:05AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
julianay
I think the cowgirl prints are adorable! The galvanized sink is a little too kitchy and the brown shower curtain is too heavy. Maybe a red gingham curtain? Wood counters are great-we have those in our kitchen.
Vivian
I have to show your room to my daughter in law. My son is in the Navy and they had bought a 7 acre farm back home here for their vacations and while my son is deployed. He just left for Afghanistan on July 4th so we are all adjusting. I am Houzzing:) She wants the house to be farm but not county, they love Broadway, we are from Annie's birthplace and this is pulled together with great flair. Great inspiration for her, she loves theater and music and I can think of many musicals that can inspire her and she can build her "not county style" into the house. I don't know if it is appropriate but I have to share my favorite little granddaughter cowgirl who wants to be a trick rider and has danced in the Nutcracker. I know your room is really going to lift their spirits.
And love the bead board ceiling and the use of studded leather to protect the sink is very creative and functional.
July 12, 2013 at 8:12AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
felixgrantham
Like it! Except the toilet seat. Toilets, IMO, are not something you want to call attention to.
July 12, 2013 at 8:21AM      Thanked by D. Fowler
Mark
Great job ! Here is a red Bandana Shower Curtain on ebay , here's the link if your interested.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Cowboy-Cowgirl-Red-Bandana-Shower-Curtain-NEW-/300611651552
July 12, 2013 at 8:24AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
OMG! Vivian, your granddaughter is adorable!! That's awesome she wants to be a trick rider! All the vintage cowgirl photos in my bathroom are a nod to my own rodeo background. (I was a barrel racer and rodeo queen in college and also roped.) But, I didn't want the typical kitchy rodeo/cowboy decor. I was trying to keep a understated farmhouse/vintage cowgirl feel. Not sure I accomplished the "understated" part, though! Haha! I was also in the music business for many years. The Broadway poster is a nod to that part of my life. I did worry about the sink being too "kitchy" but I can't tell you how many times I've washed my hands in a water bucket while outside taking care of horses! So, the sink does have particular meaning for me. Vivian, please tell your son "thank you" from Texas for his service to our country! Would love to see pictures of your daughter-in-law's home when she's finished decorating. Thank you for your kind words about my bath, too!
July 12, 2013 at 8:59AM   
Vivian
I think what impressed me was that you did not get to kitchy but that the sink pulled it all together. For me an example is the plain brown shower curtains. I have trouble with shower curtains anyway because they just overpower the space and I think the gingham and bandana prints would be appropriate choices a"country style" gal. Is it not amazing how many interest you and my daughter in law share and that room just hit home for me that this is what she is wanting to accomplish? I think you have a good eye for decorating also and an excellent idea of who you are. The red pop with the poster and then the towels and using the tub handle for a towel rack is just enough pop to pull off a good room.
July 12, 2013 at 9:18AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
Thank you, Vivian! You understand EXACTLY what look I was going for! My style isn't really "country." It's more "western chic" or western "high brow." (Hahaha!) I'm a cross between rodeo & cutting horse styles. But, I also wanted the bathroom to fit the house...which is a 1930's bungalow. That's why I went with subway tile and some retro fixtures. Shower curtains are definitely problematic. The reason I don't keep mine closed is because you wouldn't be able to see the antique window. It's another original feature that adds character to the room. Plus, it lets in so much light. Thank you for the complimentary comments about my design skills! Can't wait to see pictures of your daughter-in-law's home!
July 12, 2013 at 10:18AM     
Vivian
I will keep your name to share with you. They have three boys and just adopted a second daughter from China and my son will be gone for six months but this is the first time she has really lived in the house and it is very country. When he gets home they immediately go to Virginia a new base so they will not be starting work for at least a year but they are already collecting ideas. My son was a religion and theater major and I was afraid that I was getting a TV preacher but got a Navy Chaplain instead. Combining the theater with western is just unique ad right up their alley.
July 12, 2013 at 10:30AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
SophieW
Try getting a clear shower curtain/liner so you can have your beautiful brown one hanging outside the tub. That will look much nicer than having it tucked inside.

Absolutely love it, by the way :) You did a great job, without going overboard!
July 12, 2013 at 10:50AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
TIcking stripes, cabin or gingham checks or buffalo checks would make for great curtains that help with your theme but don't look as kitchy as bandana. Check Country Curtains for some ready-mades in most of these.
July 12, 2013 at 11:27AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Judy M
Phew, when I read the theme, I was worried, then I looked at photos, nice job!
July 12, 2013 at 11:34AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
andrewdesigninc
I think the bandana curtain is just the pop of red you need. Once it's up and pulled to the side you will see just enough of the pattern. It will go great with the red towels. You need a bit of pattern in your bathroom and this shower curtain will give you that. Great job, and I do love the sink.
July 12, 2013 at 11:37AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
trebinje
For your bandana shower curtain tie-back, consider rough hewn rope or authentic rawhide horse hobbles.
July 12, 2013 at 11:46AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Fred S
If the shower curtain is to remain open, maybe something light and airy on the outside and a clear liner on the inside? I am referring to the window curtain material, not the actual shower curtain.
July 12, 2013 at 11:48AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
Vivian
Are the accent tiles dark brown? I still think the dark brown is the correct shade to go with the original woodwork and counter top.
July 12, 2013 at 11:53AM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
Vivian, they are actually a pewter color. I selected them because they have an intricate flower/scroll design that mimics the tooling on a saddle. I wish they came in brown but, sadly, no. Their pewter/gray color was the reason I went with the gray on the walls. and light gray grout. The scroll design ties in nicely with the tooled leather I've used in other places in the bathroom. I'll take a close up shot and post it when I get home later.
July 12, 2013 at 12:00PM   
D. Fowler
Trebinje, I love the horse hobbles!! Never thought of that! Thank you!
July 12, 2013 at 12:02PM   
Anne
So cute! Add red fuzzy rug maybe 2 x 3 feet in front of the sink?
July 12, 2013 at 12:07PM        Thanked by D. Fowler
D. Fowler
Oh, Anne...you read my mind! But, what about a white, long hair sheepskin or goat? Afraid red will pull your eye to the floor when you walk in and take away from the sink/countertop. Thoughts? Definitely need something on the floor....even if it's just in front of the tub.
July 12, 2013 at 12:13PM     
D. Fowler
@RiverValleyCabinetWorks I have lots of old horse tack I'd like to use...but the bathroom is so small that I'm fearful of OVER decorating it. What do you think? I even have a couple of my dad's old branding irons. Great idea about the horseshoe curtain rod! I hadn't thought of that!!
July 12, 2013 at 4:04PM   
decoratinglady5
It looks great!!!
July 12, 2013 at 4:16PM        Thanked by D. Fowler
How do I paint the stair area if I paint all my trim white?
I've got some photos attached for ideas. Paint the...
Need advise on living room update
Hi The pic shows how the living room looks now. Thinking...
Njp
Help me decorate my dining room. I'm stuck!
I'm trying to finish up my dining room & I can't decide...
Kitchen odds and ends only?
We just bought a home with a kitchen I love that is...
Need help with shutters and front door colors.
I recently had a new roof put on my house, I took off...