Help me get out of a design rut with my living room!
missmiffyJuly 12, 2013
I moved into my house a year ago and was very into getting things done...however I burnt out and do not know how to finish my living room. I have a big white couch that may be too large for the space (although can't afford a new one now). Need help with coffee table, side tables, lamps, chairs, making couch look smaller. I have a grey velvet chaise in storage that I can use too. Pic attached. As you can see I like a rustic and beachy vibe and would like to add more whites and blues...That wallpaper is the accent wall on our staircase and foyer. We have a small sunroom that we use as a playroom but my baby stuff is spilling over!
felixgrantham
Is that a coir or jute type natural fiber rug?
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:16AM
felixgrantham
Some more throw pillows will help break up the couch. First, though, I'd buy a different rug & orient it the other way. It needs to be about 6 inches wider than your couch on each side.
[houzz=pillows]

You need end tables that are couch-arm height
[houzz=Dining Delight]
[houzz=Living Room]
[houzz=Living room]

You could use your trunk as a coffee table (personally, I prefer tall ones) if it has a flat top.

Get a couple of occasional chairs to put opposite of the couch, and of course, a couple of lamps for the end tables - tall enough to read by.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:23AM
missmiffy
that is a jute rug...i will try the trunk as coffee table but the top is not flat. does it make sense to put a glass on top of it?
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:28AM
kathy
I think if the trunk is flat enough to hold all those books, it's flat enough to place glasses, ornaments or at least a tray with those on it. If you want more blues and whites, would paint the trunk? I wouldn't put a glass top on the trunk.
    Bookmark   Thanked by missmiffy    July 12, 2013 at 9:43AM
MAJ Interiors
You have a great space! I think the scale of the sofa is fine. You could incorporate a side table on one side and a floor lamp on the other side if the space feels a little tight. Since you have a little one, I would recommend an ottoman with a tray or an oval/round coffee table to avoid sharp edges. There are ottomans that come with storage (for the toys) and they could bring in that desired blue colour. Opposite to the couch, introduce 2 occasional chairs; for a beachy vibe, think about a blue and white striped fabric. Definitely agree with rotating the rug. Also think about adding some toss cushions to the sofa. Since you have a beautiful gold wallpaper in the foyer, yellow toss cushions mixed with blue would look very nicely together.
    Bookmark   Thanked by missmiffy    July 12, 2013 at 10:02AM
carolins
Great space and the sofa is the perfect size. Perhaps you can use the trunk as a side table and as suggested by kathy you can put a tray on it to hold whatever you put on it.
An ottoman is a good choice if you have a small person running around (perhaps not yet running ;-)). And it provides additional seating if needed. A nest of tables is practical too.
Difficult to see how much space you have to add chairs, but if you can find space to put an Ikea Expedit unit with wicker baskets to store toys in...
I'll attach images as soon as I've found them :-)

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:11AM
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:18AM
missmiffy
I love all of this advice! I think a tufted storage ottoman will be the way to go. It is probably hard to see but I do have a standing lamp on the left side of the couch but it is blah...It has an industrial wrought iron metal rod base with screw details. THe shade is a plain white drum. Probably should do something to the shade...The white side table to the right of the couch...i am assuming that does not work??
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:24AM
missmiffy
i have 11 feet between where the trunk is now and the front edge of the couch. would it crowd the space too much to add 2 arm chairs and an ottoman coffee table?
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:26AM
MAJ Interiors
The existing white side table seems a little tall. Something at the same height of the sofa arm would work best.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:28AM
carolins
I'd just go for an ottoman (I do hope that you're near an Ikea, because they have nice storage ottomans too) and leave the chairs for now. Until most of the 'baby accessories' don't have to be in this room anymore. Otherwise it will be very crowded I think.
But you can always see if you find some chairs that you'd like to add, cut out paper to the size of the chairs and place that on the floor. It will give you a rough idea of how much floor space they will take up.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:32AM
MAJ Interiors
Lets do a little bit of math. Recommended distance between couch edge and sofa is 18" + lets say it's a 36" ottoman (nice and big) + another 18" between the ottoman and occasional chairs + depth of occasional chairs is approx. 30" = 102"/12 = 8.5 feet. So you should be good!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by missmiffy    July 12, 2013 at 10:33AM
MAJ Interiors
sorry spelling error *between couch edge and ottoman :)
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:34AM
Dar Eckert
The best way to make your room seem larger is to put your sofa on the wall to the right. it won't be constrained by the narrow space of the window bay. You can then put the lovely chair in the window bay in the corner near the entry. You can get a larger coffee table.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:38AM
carolins
Ah, it's great that MAJ Interiors has done the maths (I'm metric, inches drive me crazy), but I still think that there's too much of the kid's stuff in the room to comfortably add two chairs too. You'll be slaloming all day long. Or not?
Can you post a photo taken from where the couch is? So we can see the other side of the room?
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:40AM
Your rug is either the wrong size or it is laid in the wrong direction. Can't see the end of your room. Try it horizontally to the sofa. Or put it under your dining table.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:42AM
missmiffy
I will post a pic with the room going in the other direction
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:17AM
missmiffy
in one of the pics I am standing in the foyer looking into living room. The other views, I am standing behind the couch. I have a foot between the coach and windows
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:24AM
erinsean
I would use your red trunk as a coffee table or as an end table by your couch and a floor lamp at the other end. You do have a lot of toys and I know it is hard to decorate and keep your house tidy with little ones around. Could you put the pack n play and swing in the toy room when the baby is not using them? Then you would have room for your chaise cornered where the pack n play is now. Colorful pillows on the nice couch (it's not too big) and chaise. You may not need a coffee table until your baby is older.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by missmiffy    July 12, 2013 at 11:38AM
carolins
Hmm... another idea: the Expedit units are in different sizes. You could get the tall skinny one and turn it sideways under the small window. Ideal for storage. Throw pillows on top and you have extra seating.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:39AM
Allison Burnfield McAteer
What about painting the dining room chairs? Baby stuff is a stage of life. Do what is easiest even if it doesn't look pretty. Some day soon you won't have large baby stuff taking over your space you will have little tiny barbie shoes and legos to step on.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:43AM
missmiffy
I want to paint the dining room chairs and Im usually good at thought, however I'm a bit hesitant bc they are very beautiful and old! Is there a white washing I can do that will still show off the natural wood grain?
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:48AM
Dar Eckert
Your dining chairs are lovely. we all have faced this dilemma do we paint our antiques to better suit today's fashion trends? Because it will destroy the value of your antiques I would only paint them as a last resort. Consider using colorful chair cushions or a chair cover.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:26PM
Dar Eckert
Thanks for the photo of the room from a different angle. You need to move your sofa to the adjacent wall. It would work much better.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:34PM
Dar Eckert
Also when you try the sofa on the other wall, pull the rug away from the wall so that just the front legs of the sofa rest on it. It will fit the room better.
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:37PM
missmiffy
Thanks Dar...I wil post some pics after I experiment!
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:47PM
Need help designing my living room
Hi, I need to complete my formal living and formal...
sonali
Please help me design my living room.
I am attempting to plan a remodel of my living room...
jeff1320
Break out of the "neutral rut"
My 34 yr old daughter is looking for colors for her...
kathyann49
Remodel Rut... What to do with my kitchen window
We have completely gutted the kitchen, removed a wall....
flyingwebbs4
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
looking for a good shade of light gray for kitchen cabinets
counter top is caesarstone bianco drift
staceyekelley
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
How high is a typical half wall between rooms
I want a half wall between play area and family room...
Anne O'Callaghan
fabric choices..
I am currently working on two sets of 2 mid century...
J.C. Sterling Fine Furniture
is soapstone practical for a kitchen counter top?
searching for new kitchen counter tops.
gficklen