Looking for some help with ideas to decorate my kitchen
c_sinki
I have an open plan kitchen-livingroom. Can anybody give me some advice on how to decorate my kitchen area. I'm looking for quite a modern batchelor pad type look. I was planning on keeping with the cherry red cupboard doors but changing the floor tiles and wall colour. What colour of floor would go? I've been thinking grey/black to match the countertops. I did once put "brick effect" wallpaper up to see how brick effect tiles would look but my mates and family didn't like it so it came down. I've attached the photo of that just for the sake of it. All of the light comes from floor to ceiling glass at the opposite end of the room so I don't want to make it too dark in the kitchen as its furthest from any natural light
July 12, 2013 at 11:31am      Thanked by c_sinki
felixgrantham
Large Slate tiles would be pretty
]

But why are you obsessing on the kitchen when your much large need is for some chairs, art & a rug in the living room?
July 12, 2013 at 11:53am      Thanked by c_sinki
c_sinki
You should look at my second photo I attached- I have chairs and a rug and some art (that you can't see)
July 12, 2013 at 12:02pm   
carolins
I know you said 'don't want to go too dark', but I'm seeing the short kitchen wall in a dark brown similar to your furniture colour. The floor tiles seem fine to me, but if you want to change them, something like this?

July 12, 2013 at 12:30pm        Thanked by c_sinki
c_sinki
I like it. See the floor tiles are white shiny tiles. I might just get whitish ones with more texture. But I like that grey. Do you think the bit above the cupboards should be included?
July 12, 2013 at 1:07pm   
pgpark2
love the kitchen back lights, ive seen some great modern looks with ceiling fixtures coming down above the countertops... maybe some stools? if there is space?

the brick effect is pretty cool, not sure if it matches with the rest of the kitchen though... (im not a professional)

July 12, 2013 at 1:28pm      Thanked by c_sinki
carolins
Hi,
I'm glad you like the idea of painting that wall. I wouldn't paint the part above the cabinets. Just that one wall
My original thought was to paint it with blackboard/chalkboard paint. Will only work if your walls are flat, no structure. Otherwise you can't write on them anyway. And assuming that there are no cabinets on that wall?
If there are not cabinets, you could also paint a really large piece of mdf or whatever board with chalkboard paint and mount that on your wall. You could even make a frame around it. It's just a weird idea, but I like having a large chalkboard in the kitchen. I have one in my kitchen, floor to ceiling, and write everything that needs to be remembered on it, including recipes.
July 13, 2013 at 6:42am   
Make this room COTTAGE like and updated! How? :)
Purchasing this and Renovating. Would love input on...
Arch Wall: Yay or Nay ?
I know this may be a matter of preference, but if this...
How can I layout furniture in my living room - please help!
I have had my couch and tv in the same position for...
I would like some Ideas on my Living room
I have limited space in the apartment I moved into,...