HELP!!! I need advice on my patio!!
ashchilds
First I have to say that I have a two year old, so I have to keep it safe for her. I'm at a stand still. I put curtains up (plan to put the other side up this weekend) and I absolutely love them. It's the lack of storage I have that's driving me crazy!! The bakers rack I have is not sturdy enough to hold too much stuff, just little decorative nick knacks. I need suggestions on if I should build shelves somewhere, or get a different shelving unit besides the Bakers rack or ANYTHING! I know my patio is very small and not much room to work with, but my goal is to make it a very comfy and cozy, yet functional place to want to go sit
Anne
Can you post a few more pictures?
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 11:57AM
felixgrantham
what are patio dimensions? Looks like you need some enclosed storage.

Painting the patio with some concrete paint would spiff things up a lot!
2 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 12:15PM
ashchilds
Sure! It's really messy bc I'm trying to work on it..
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:03PM
ashchilds
Dimensions are 10x10'
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:10PM
ashchilds
I did the concrete acid Technique, and it did not turn out as well as I thought it would;( Can I paint over the existing stuff? Also, what color?
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:13PM
ashchilds
This is what happened.
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:14PM
Judy M
What do you need to store?
The bakers rack does not seem to serve any purpose but decorative, with a small space, a garden bench in that spot might make more sense or a small round table that can hold a pitcher of drinks or appetizers.
Or a rubbermaid storage trunk in place of the bakers rack for outdoor play toys.

The chairs do not look very comfortable for lounging, maybe a couple inexpensive plastic adirondack style chairs would look cute, they come in a variety of colors.
3 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:17PM
ashchilds
I should also add that I am going to paint the exterior of my house white pretty soon, I also purchased a brown outdoor fan, but my husband has not had a chance to install it.. And my color scheme that I'd like to stick with is neutral/browns, shades of blue, and possibly either white or light grey.. Thoughts?
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:18PM
ashchilds
What's a garden bench? Where can I buy one?
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:19PM
ashchilds
The bakers rack serves NO purpose whatsoever, except a pain in my you know what..
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:21PM
kallman61
You could use ceramic or porcelain tile on the floor - I just did mine after hating the look of the concrete stain I used.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 1:31PM
felixgrantham
kallman61 - looking good. Ashchilds, since you're working with a rather tiny patio, tile would not be too expensive. You could build or buy some seats similar to this with storage below (flip up seats)
]
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 1:45PM
felixgrantham
Plant some wire trellises with vines on the reverse portions of your fence, by next year, your backyard will look 100 times more inviting. Some potted plants either on or just off the patio would be nice.
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:47PM
felixgrantham
One more thing, please get a proper screen door & remove the "shroud of death"!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:48PM
ashchilds
"The shroud of death" will stay, I don't have the money for a screen door. Believe me, if I could afford it I'd already have one. But thanks.. I guess
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 1:52PM
felixgrantham
OK, sorry. If you're on that much of a budget crunch, get your husband to make some similar seating out of shipping palates. You can paint the wood. It'll just cost a miter box (to saw straight), a few nails, a few hinges, some paint. (If you're really on a budget, go to the HD on Sunday night & check out the paint rejects on custom color mixes - dirt cheap!

Then a couple of cushions - seating & storage combined!

Try & do the vines as your budget allows. It's amiracle what a difference some plants can make.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 1:59PM
Dar Eckert
I agree you should have a sale and sell the bakers rack and everything on it. Use the money to buy a wicker porch set. One more thing, be careful with the curtains when you are grilling they look like they could blow onto the grill. fire hazard.
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 2:03PM
ashchilds
I like the fact that my 2 year old can go in and out of the house while I'm outside. We do own a mider saw, and I actually have a couple pallets in my garage. But what do I do for storage? And my tons of outdoor candles?
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 2:05PM
Dar Eckert
Sell them. Keep only a few.
2 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 2:17PM
3 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 2:17PM
felixgrantham
Have your hubby build seats like toy boxes. Even one below the window would hold a fair amount.

Or, I found a solid wood one on Houzz for about $100:
]
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 2:30PM
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 2:30PM
ashchilds
Alright!!! Now I'm getting excited!! I LOVE the benches with storage underneath.. I'm posting the bakers rack as we speak!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 3:37PM
Judy M
You could paint the ceiling of the patio roof a very light soft blue.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 3:49PM
ashchilds
That's exactly what I wanted to do!! I just didn't know what color! Thank you! I love your ideas
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 3:53PM
daretobeoriginal
What a darling little space. It will be beautiful when you get done. Love the idea of painting the ceiling to bring in color. Also along with the storage benches I thought perhaps you could build a nook like this under the window n a few feet along the side of patio. A table is always handy in a space like this.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 4:41PM
daretobeoriginal
Sorry forgot to add photo
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 4:43PM
ashchilds
Thank you so much for saying that, I was starting to get a little discouraged. I actually have a table like that in my garage, just collecting dust!! THANK YOUUU!!!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 5:10PM
ashchilds
Soo I was going to sell this ottoman, but decided I'd rather have it on my patio! The only thing I've done is brought it out here and put all the knickknacks that were on the Bakers rack.. I think my husband likes it!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 7:16PM
daretobeoriginal
Don't be discouraged! Just go at your own pace and have fun. You're lucky you already have a table.
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 9:17PM
victorianbungalowranch
Some tiebacks could make the curtains safer. Put the ottoman in a protected place, and your table and chairs will fill the rest. I had a space something like this and I liked having a pretty outdoor tablecloth (heavy vinyl) with tablecloth weights to add some color, and to make clean-up easier. Also cluster those little sidetables or put some plants on them so they are useful.

I stopped using candles when my son was young. Worried about knocking them over, playing with the matches and wax, ect... Easier to use battery operated laterns and not worry about it.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 10:06PM
nwduck
On a budget, I think you could consider these things: 1) sell the baker's rack for some funds. Was worried about baby trying to climb it anyway. 2) get a storage/seating bench (as above) that would fit snug under the window 3) paint the ceiling pale blue 4) find the least expensive/cute indoor/outdoor rug possible (great for the baby to play on) 4) if space on the ceiling buy assorted sizes of pale blue/white paper lanterns (they don't necessarily HAVE to have lights in them, but those little battery powered mini tea lights will work) to hang from the ceiling at different heights 5) find an inexpensive white shelf to hang over your door, and put (short!) candles on it inside glass sleeves interspersed with some decorative items 6) hang your silver stars at each end of the shelf above the door 7) your furniture is fine. If anything, you could repaint the little tabletop with a silver star and pale blue background. Just tape it off and use patio paint from the craft store.
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 10:16PM
ashchilds
Wow. These last two were the exact suggestions/advise I was looking for. Thank y'all both from the bottom of my heart, it means the world to me. The shelf above the door is BRILLIANT!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 10:43PM
ashchilds
Oh! And the stars idea! Love it!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 10:45PM
ashchilds
And last but not least, painting the table top... I'm notorious for painting EVERYTHING!! Thanks again ;)
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 10:46PM
nwduck
Dear ashchilds: Been there. Clever inexpensive ideas will serve you well, always! And I forgot to say you could get a roll or two (allow 3' per tieback for a flourish, so two standard rolls) of pretty blue wired ribbon from the craft store to do the tiebacks. And one more thing...look in the bead/jewelry section for a silver star piece you can attach to the end of your pull chain on the fan. :)
1 Like   July 12, 2013 at 11:27PM
ashchilds
Brilliant!!! I love that idea! Thank you so much;)
0 Likes   July 13, 2013 at 2:34PM
ashchilds
Ideas.. Those are the cute stuff I love, the details!
0 Likes   July 13, 2013 at 2:36PM
Help i need advice on my porch / patio area
This is our braai area, outside by the pool. I want...
1michelleethan1
I need help, I'm working on my outdoors kitchen and patio
My husband and I are, do it your selfers. I have different...
alphaliaakuffo
I need help on adding on a covered deck/porch/patio that ties in with my roof, any ideas
I don't have photos as of now, but will get that tomorrow....
Marie Voorhies
I need help with a patio extention from my kitchen
If my bathroom was redone I could have more space for...
peggysperry
what is the best light bulb to light art?
for very fine oil paintings, what is the best light...
zozo02
Our plans, any suggestions?
We worked with a builder and came up with these plans....
a145263
What kind of bathroom mirrors should I buy?
We will have contemporary Jacobson espresso cabinets,...
marymurf25
Half circle window above bed
Above my bed there is a large half circle window joined...
smatasha102
Need master bedroom furniture help!!
Hi there- we just upgraded to a king size mattress/...
brockwem