Andrew Suvalsky DesignsJuly 12, 2013
CARIBBEAN, COLONIAL-CHIC.

The viewpoint of this room is taken from the position of a pull-out sofa (not seen in this picture) that was custom designed to be stylish and ultra-comfortable. The composition of the shot tells the room’s real story: a simple, library-like space for the owner, an attorney, to be used both as an office and guest room. The teak desk and bookcases are consistent with a classic, Colonial style typical of the islands. Like Puerto Rico where this home is located, the bold apricot and bronze upholstery evoke both warm and freshness. The chocolate brown rug, the Moroccan touches in the area rug, and a small wood and mother of pearl inlay table contribute to a chic, international flavor that round out the design and reflect the owner’s love of travel.

Bonus: There are many ways to create visual depth and texture in a design. One common and effective way is to apply specialty finishes or luxe papers to the walls. However this can get pricey and is too permanent for some people’s taste. As in this room try using a larger, flat weave rug as a foundation and then place a small, contrasting colored area run on top. The two layers won’t be thicker than a regular rug and together give flair to a design. The dark brown rug in this picture is a sea-grass (otherwise known as sisal) and the small area rug is called a Kilim. If browsing on the net, search using these words. Within each category there’ll be tons to choose from.
Taking a breather from 3 story historic restoration....
carol nichol
Gorgeous!
Gorgeous! I am doing a small master bath in laguna...
cinnic
Pergola
Is this a paint or stain on the pergola? What brand/color?...
kimbelk
we need help in our house!
Reiko Lopez
Tips please
I love decorating my house. Normally I redecorate one...
kazetem
Breakfast nook
I have been struggling with this area for the past...
izabug
House Colours! Help!
We have a stunning 1850s Greek a revival, here in New...
aazuline
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor
round or rectangular dining table?
need to buy a new dining table. Our old one seated...
sherylshoham