Sliding patio doors - I'm stuck on size
Pat Chiappa
I have a 32 ft deck outside a bedroom and living room (side by side)
I wanted to have sliding glass doors leading to the deck from both rooms but am unsure what size would be best. the LR wall is 17 ft. wide the bedroom is 12'6".

8 ft. for the LR & 6 ft. for the BR? (My preference is a double door rather than a triple.)

Thank you in advance for your help!
HERE Design and Architecture
I don't think we have enough information to comment. Would probably need at least pics of interior and exterior, if not drawings indicating existing dimenstions.
July 13, 2013 at 11:06am     
Pat Chiappa
here we go - thanks for your comment
July 13, 2013 at 1:24pm     
HH Furr Architecture & Development
Large views are always nice but think about door panel size. I personally think doors over 3' wide are difficult to use on a regular basis. Also think about if you want drapes, a rule of thumb is 1/3 the width the drape panel covers is needed to the side of the door/wimdow for stacking when the drapes are open.
July 13, 2013 at 3:01pm     
HH Furr Architecture & Development
I know that did mot answer your question exactly but i hope it helps you make a better decision. Also If you decide to add drapes have stack on the side away from the wood stove.
July 13, 2013 at 3:03pm      Thanked by Pat Chiappa
HERE Design and Architecture
The sizes seem fine to me. HH's comment re: panel width is important to consider. At the same time, weight aside, panels that are wider will run more smoothly than panels that are proportionally narrower. Over all, I prefer to use a really good quality slider in any case, like Fleetwood. Thinking of circulation, I think I might consider flipping the bedroom slider so that the operable side is near the closet and bedroom door rather than in the far corner.
July 13, 2013 at 3:39pm      Thanked by Pat Chiappa
Pat Chiappa
and I forgot to mention that the fireplace is going to be moved to the center of the west wall (where the existing windows are shown) Good point HH FA & D on difficulty of use (heaviness) of doors larger than 3'. And great tip on air flow HERE D & A - I'll keep them as is - thanks much!
July 13, 2013 at 4:45pm   
Angie Burrell
I love your layout, rooms leading into your deck. I have double door slider in the centre, with the same single door width of glass either side of doors as window & am thinking of changing them to Bifold doors to open nip room completely, is there any reason you chose sliders as opposed to bifold glass doors?
July 13, 2013 at 8:17pm   
kitasei
And what are relative merits/drawbacks of French doors vs sliders and bifolds? A Pella salesman said sliders were the most energy efficient, but I'm not sure it's true.
July 13, 2013 at 8:24pm     
Pat Chiappa
My builder said french doors would leak before a slider would. I'm going to be 1/2 mile to the coast and could see some weather.
July 13, 2013 at 8:46pm     
Angie Burrell
Ok, cool, that's something to consider, my sister has them everywhere but she is on the Gold Coast Qld, & has verandahs all the way around her home, so they r protected against the weather, mine would b exposed to the weather...
July 13, 2013 at 11:28pm   
Narrow/small kitchen need help
Hi all, Attached here is the new floorplan of my kitchen,...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Exterior paint project
Would love to hear thoughts from the Houzz Community....
Need help picking out countertops!
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and could really...
Need help with color of wood blinds
My wood floors are the color of cinnamon and my furniture...