How to Fill Gaps under Base ?

EdJuly 12, 2013
We have small gaps between the maple hardwood floor and the maple base, because the floor is not 100% evenly flat (it was not built very precisely in the early 1980's -- this is my big remodel now.)

Our painter already caulked the top of the base to fill in the gaps there (shown in the photos), but for the bottom of the base where it meets the floor, he could not find any caulk in our local stores that would match the color of the maple floor and maple base. A white or off-white caulk would stand out, and I'm told wood putty also would not work properly.

Does anyone know if there are companies or products with customized coloring for caulk (to match maple, for example) ?

Our other solution would be to add a thin maple "shoe" (?) strip along the entire flooring to cover up the gaps, but I'd prefer the cleaner look without the shoe, if there are other solutions like caulking. Thanks!
Anne
Victoria Architectural Millwork · More Info
Do you like this?
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 12, 2013 at 5:13PM
Ed
Hi Anne, thanks so much -- your photo looks quite nice, and I'm keeping that as a last resort. :) It looks much better than I had envisioned. If we cannot find a good caulking solution, we'll go that route in your photo. Thank you! :)

Anne, out of curiosity, what search keywords are required to get Houzz to return a photo like that ? :)
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:15PM
Linda
I think that a good installation of shoe molding really finishes off the floor nicely. In the above photo, the molding appears to be more like a rectangular stock with a rounded edge rather than a traditional 1/4 of an oval shape which is the traditional shoe. Of course my eyes might just be fooling me...
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 12, 2013 at 5:28PM
Anne
base molding, base shoe, moldings. There were very few detail pictures to be found.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 12, 2013 at 5:33PM
Photo Captures by Jeffery
I agree your best bet will be to go with shoe molding. Even with caulking that matches it will still stand out as being different from the wood.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 12, 2013 at 5:35PM
giniaginia
If you don't want to put 1/4 round. use a wood colored caulk. Take the darker tone of what your wood is. Buy a few different colors and test because they don't look like the color on the package. When you caulk wipe it really well to keep the lines clean.
Ed
Hi giniaginia, yes, that's exactly our question -- our painter went to different stores in town, and could not find a wood colored caulk -- do you know where we can find such products ?
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 5:42PM
Ed
Hi Linda and Jeffrey, thank you! :)
    Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:02PM
bvan1968
My local Ben Moore store sells a tintable caulk. Perhaps you can have the caulk tinted to match your floor. I can't remember the brand name -- it might be Red Devil Create-a-Color tintable caulk.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 12, 2013 at 6:12PM
Linda
Go buy a stick of the molding and place in the space and see what you think

Or, try the caulk and if you don't like it, then put wood in front of it...either way, you have a good answer

I would lean toward the molding as my personal preference but I'm a vintage home person, not contemporary
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 12, 2013 at 9:13PM
sjkingston
Anne's picture with the flat molding (rather than more common quarter round) gives a nice contemporary look. While I'd keep looking for a matching wood patch or caulk to eliminate the nail holes which are very visible, I wouldn't caulk a gap that big. Caulk that is not painted over attracts dust over time, and wih gap that big, you could end up a with a dark dusty strip over time.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 13, 2013 at 1:11AM
Ed
Hi sjkingston, thanks! :)
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 1:19AM
ssplatt
I had the same problem. Prefer modern, clean, not fruiffy... Resisted shoe moulding in my main areas. Later had more wood floors installed in bedroom and was too tired to fight it so told my floor guy to 'just do whatever he thinks is best visually'. He used shoe moulding and i love it. Seriously don't fight it like me. If you still don't know, go for a narrower piece than quarter-round. Also, it's probably better since floors expand and contract so will still hide it right?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ed    July 13, 2013 at 2:59AM
Ed
Hi ssplatt, thank you! :)
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:48AM
Ed
Hi Anne, thanks so much for your reference photo. Our results look very similar. Thanks!
Photo from yesterday, Sep 2, 2013. :)
    Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 2:51AM
Fill gap between shower base and hardwood floor?
The previous owners installed hardwood flooring in...
swilson27
How would you fill this space?
I just recently purchased furniture from Ikea for the...
Dwolm001
Please please help me ! How to decorate / fill the gap on top of the r
Hello all I just bought a new home and I found out...
lovemymorninglatte
Please help! Gaps in kitchen cabinetry.
I am really upset. Our Medallion white cabinets have...
purplewatermelon
Need help re gap between air tub and solid surface-caulk or not?
Hi, I'm near the end of a MB remodel. The bathtub is...
archivesgirl
New Addition Floorplan Help
Hey there, design helpers! The photo below is the first...
meems15
Choosing Sectional Sofa for Your Home
Many homeowners prefer to choose sectional sofa for...
Locus Habitat
Need help with rustic design for living room! Please!
Wanting to go with rustic look for my husband. Like...
music9704
Paint Colors
Need help choosing my paint colors. Remodeling, Kitchen,...
czkramer
Paint colors- urgent help needed!
On Monday, painters are coming to do our entire apartment....
domesticimpostor