marty2116
October 2, 2011 in Other
Help! I can't live like this anymore! The room is long and akward with doors and windows in every corner. I don't know how to make this room flow and feel warm and cozy yet fun and eclectic. My foyer is bare as well so it's not even inviting on the way in to the house and then you see this room and nothing leads your eye. I need rugs, window coverings, chairs couches....I have no clue! I would love the help of you all b/c you are amazing and I will appreciate any help whole heartedly. My room needs help,it's just yuck. Thanks!
bepsf
What is the purpose of this room - It appears to be intended as a combo Living/Dining room?
Which end opens to the kitchen and which to the entryway?

First thing I'd investigate is removing that awkward tilework from in front of the sliding door and replacing it with a continuation of the wood that's throughout the rest of the room...
0 Likes   October 2, 2011 at 7:36PM
marty2116
Thanks for the reply....the north end (with the circle mirror) is the entry and the south end is the kitchen. It is a combo room but I don't know how to find furniture that works with a good flow. The bistro table is just being held there until I move it downstairs....I just can't figure out how to make it work.
0 Likes   October 2, 2011 at 7:44PM
bepsf
That explains why your dining table appears to be in the wrong place - It should be beneath the chandelier.

I'd replace your rectangular table with a round table for 4 which can be extended to an oval for 6 - no rug in this area - and place your buffet on the long inside wall with a mirror and a couple of lamps above.

A medium sized sofa will fit nicely beneath your double-hung window with a pair of end tables and table lamps on either end. A single armchair could fit nicely with the sofa at the far end of the room , squarely facing the dining area and another armchair opposite the sofa, angled in with its back to the buffet along with a standing lamp next to it. Your white painted cane chairs can float between the sitting area with their backs to the dining table, but double as dining chairs when your table is extended. Your seating area should be anchored by the largest rug you can fit in that half of the room, and a pair of small tables or ceramic garden stools rather than a large coffee table would help keep the room open and light.

For colors, begin with a patterned fabric for floor to ceiling draperies at both the sliding doors and the double window - and treat the openings exactly the same. Use the same fabric for throw pillows and pull colors from the pattern for your wall paint, rug and upholstery fabric for your sofa and chairs. Consider upholstered chairs for your dining area and use the same fabric for new seats in your cane chairs.
0 Likes   October 2, 2011 at 8:18PM
marty2116
Okay I'm made some moves this morning and I really like the vast improvement already!! I don't have a couch and I'm not really too sure what style to get. Any suggestions? I imagine nothing too "poofy". I still need end tables and lamps to flank the couch as well. Other than that...I moved the wicker chairs where you said to put the armchairs (need to figure out what style to get of that as well). Then I suppose I still have room for those wicker chairs but I'm not real sure where exactly. The dining room table has small chairs with it and I can tell those are wrong. Is the whole table too small or just the chairs? It's not centered under the ugly light but I don't believe there is room for seating if I move the table underneath the light. I can have my husband move the light or maybe there is another suggestion on a light for that room? Also, my husband was willing to do new lighting in the room since that dining room light is the only light in the room, do you think can lights would look good? Thank you so much, if there is anything else you think I should be using or doing please let me know!! I've followed your advice and love it! and that was just this morning, I imagine if I shop I can make it even better! I'll post the kitchen, entry and family room on another post...I'd love to hear more from you, either way thank you for helping!
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 9:57AM
bepsf
Wow - Such a big difference already!
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 11:11AM
bamamom
Marty as bepsf said Wow! Big difference. Looks very good. May I ask where you purchased the area rug for the living room section, the two tone square? Thanks.
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 11:15AM
marty2116
Thanks! Yeah I agree! I know we were shooting for a big dining room so we could easily seat 8-12 at any given time but this just works on a day to day basis for us. I actually got the white-tan rug at Lowe's. It was really inexpensive too and has held up very nicely.
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 11:37AM
mmonika
Are you looking for advice only on furniture and placement or would you be willing to throw in a bit more?
I find that your coloration is too muted. Your "builders biege" needs more in order to increase the depth and interest in here. Find 2 other colors to add to this space as accents. You can go contemporary (purple, red, navy blue, grey) or go more traditional ( sage green, rust, cream). It needs interest.
You need curtains on the windows and sliding door ( the curtains don't actually have to go over the doors, but you need the softness of the fabric to make this cozy). Get rid of all those builder basic elements.
Tiles on the floor. I'd suggest leaving those as this is an entrance, subject to moisture, mud and other outdoor elements. Wood will scratch, absorb water, buckle and stain. Plus you will never match the other floors, embrace the difference.
Wire a light fixture on the other side of the room. This will allow you to be more flexible with your furniture layout. I hate being dictated where my table should go because of a chandelier. A fixture that adjusts in height can be lowered over a table and made higher for a living room. Use dimmers. ( or forgo chandelier and get pot lights)
Replace the light fixture.
Your series of artwork on the back wall blends into the wall. Here is an opportunity to introduce color with a mat! Get bigger mats cut so that these have some presence!!
The eclectic theme is quite popular these days. The success of eclectic is ensuring that the pieces have SOMETHING about them that ties them with something else. A common shape, a color, an accent color, fabric pattern...something.
Regarding your couch, don't go too modern or too traditional but that is all I can really say. You have to find a sofa that you love. I would avoid anything in beige though. Your walls and rug are beige. Try greys for neutrals, creams for sophisticated and color for playful.
Good luck!
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 12:19PM
marty2116
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 12:28PM
marty2116
mmonika....thank you! well I guess now I'm going more for specifics. if this is the layout i should use then my real challenge is getting the right furniture, curtains to go in. i suppose the reasoning behind wanting eclectic was that I thought it would be easier b/c i like thrift stores and color lol....bad reason huh? So, now that I see the buffet looking all cute and warm and cozy I think I'd like that look. Warm and cozy without being too country kitchenish. I wish someone would pick it for me and I love it. Aw life would be simple and relaxing wouldn't it. Here was my (kelle hamptons) idea for the pic wall....I just havent decided on my pics so I put those in just so they wouldn't be blank.
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 2:53PM
bepsf
As far as sofas and chairs - There are so many out there in all sorts of styles and pricepoints that it's hard to recommend specifically...
...however, I would definitely stick to a sofa that's roughly 7' long - and not much more than 36" deep - otherwise a deeper sofa is going to take up too much floor space. And I would definitely not do chairs that match the sofa.

The great thing is that if you're into the eclectic/thrift shop look - there's lots to choose from, and reupholstering a good quality vintage piece is more affordable than purchasing all new of similar quality.
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 3:14PM
marty2116
That's great! Thank you...at least I have a starting point on finding that perfect couch. My room already looks a million times better even with out a couch :)
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 4:15PM
bepsf
You're welcome - you're off to a great start and I hope you'll check in periodically with updates. :-)
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 6:10PM
bamamom
Marty...thank you for the information on the area rug. I have a couple of rugs from there and your correct they seem to hold up well, especially for the price.
I think a red couch would look great in your room. I see the cushions on the white wicker chairs and just thought it looked nice with that pop of color. If your not in to solid red, maybe something with a red small red stripe?
I am busy trying to redo my home now too, i.e. asking about your rug...need something for our den to protect from doggie paws on new hardwoods.
Please post again with your changes. Good luck!
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 6:13PM
marty2116
bamamom....the golden retriever that we dog sit has tried to murder that rug and has been unsuccessful so far, I hope you have luck with the rug!
0 Likes   October 3, 2011 at 7:23PM
bamamom
marty...our "girl" is 10 so she is pretty much over destroying things. She just likes a soft spot to lay down/on. Since the carpeting has been taken out, she has decided that her beds are not as soft on hardwood as her "mom & dad" kingsize bed. :) Thank you again for the info. I am actually headed to Lowe's today and can check rugs again while there.
0 Likes   October 4, 2011 at 11:22AM
Talianko Design Group, LLC
Looks like you may benefit from our space planning program. Click the link below to learn more!
Debbie Talianko
Certified Interior Designer #6393
Allied ASID
http://www.taliankodesigngroup.com/pdf/Space-Planning-Brochure.pdf
0 Likes   November 6, 2011 at 12:46PM
Hi Marty, How did the room turn out? I'd love to see an update now that some time has passed!
0 Likes   April 24, 2012 at 10:15AM
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Help needed to rev up the room
I posted earlier, but here are more pics to give a...
Help me create an entry way with a subtle wow!
Please someone help me with my 13 foot high entryway...
1BR 28 sq.m. Condo
Hi everyone! This is my first investment, and I am...
New wall color needed
This guest bathroom was renovated 3 years ago and I...