Kitchen re-decoration
woodysteph
We are redoing our kitchen from scratch and I need ideas on how to go about it, particularly when it comes to storage as you can see (photos were taken at a particularly messy time after getting the shopping done). I want some original ideas if possible, especially re how to do presses/cupboards). We have 2young children in the house so have lots of things to do with them in the kitchen. Any ideas please?
apple_pie_order
I suggest you attach your pictures to this post and delete your other post. Posts with photos get more responses.

Have you settled on a budget?
July 13, 2013 at 8:48AM   
woodysteph
Can you see the photos and my comments now??
July 13, 2013 at 10:20AM   
apple_pie_order
The photos are fine on the other post. Maybe you could delete this thread and keep the other one.
July 13, 2013 at 10:34AM   
apple_pie_order
No photos on this post, to answer your question.
July 13, 2013 at 10:34AM   
Scott Design, Inc.
Still no pics
July 13, 2013 at 10:40AM   
woodysteph
Here are the photos
July 13, 2013 at 11:26AM   
woodysteph
Our budget is €6-7000 btw
July 13, 2013 at 11:28AM   
apple_pie_order
I can see the photos now. Yes, I see that you need more storage. By eye estimate, you have twice as much stuff as you have space for it in the kitchen, assuming all cupboards are already full.

Can you upload a floor plan? Ikea's online software is good.

Where is the refrigerator?

If you cannot enlarge the kitchen, you may want to use cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. All drawers, no shelves in base cabinets make things a lot more reachable. Do you have room for storage somewhere else? Things like rarely-used serving dishes, wine bottles, extra plastic containers, shopping bags, water bottles can all go somewhere else.

Which items do you think your budget will cover? Cabinets, tile, plumbing, electrical, lighting, flooring? I don't know what country you are in, so I have no idea what your budget will cover.
July 13, 2013 at 12:08PM   
woodysteph
Yes I'd say we need about twice as much storage. Any ideas how to go about it?
July 13, 2013 at 1:18PM   
woodysteph
We were thinking of putting wall to wall, floor to ceiling cabinets on wall opposite cooker. €6000 will probably just cover furniture.
Fridge is in the dining room in the next room, there is no room for it here as it's too big. Not ideal but can't do it any other way and we've sort of gotten used to it like that now
July 13, 2013 at 1:23PM   
woodysteph
Oh and I'll try the ikea software
July 13, 2013 at 1:29PM   
apple_pie_order
Thanks for the explanation. Try a wall that is drawers up to waist high, cupboards above that. YOu can add pull-out cutting boards at waist height so that you can put things there when unpacking groceries and putting things away in the cabinets and drawers: Danville residence

Drawers will help but they will not increase storage space by a factor of two. You could also add drawers where the microwave is now and continue to keep the microwave on top.

Here is another wall of wood cabinets:

Barcelona House

Although it will not solve your storage problem, I recommend that you pull everything out of the cabinets and drawers, one drawer or shelf at a time. Be flexible about storing things elsewhere while the children are very small. Or discarding "aspirational cooking" implements (egg slicers, orange zesters, martini shakers. lobster-shaped gelatin molds) that just haven't been used in years.

Families with children tend to accumulate an enormous amount of plastic stuff. In six months or a year, they will need different plastic stuff!
July 13, 2013 at 2:15PM   
woodysteph
Thanks a lot, all helpful comments.
I'm sure there are going to be quite a few things to throw out once we move everything but I have only recently cleared things out of the cabinets to make room inside; actually I do that on quite a regular basis.

What do you think of the cabinets, leave them open or put doors on them?
July 13, 2013 at 3:34PM   
apple_pie_order
I would use doors, definitely. Shelves just accumulate dust, pieces of paper and random kid toys.
July 13, 2013 at 3:40PM     
kitasei
OMG don't even think about open shelves! You will have a new problem - washing grease caked with dust from things you never even used!
July 13, 2013 at 8:57PM   
woodysteph
Good morning again everyone. Went to sleep dreaming "kitchen".
What do you think of floor to ceiling cabinets? Do you think it would make the kitchen feel smaller?
July 14, 2013 at 1:19AM   
Please help re-decorating my family room !
Can you please give me some advice on the following....
Re-decorating the bedroom
We rent an apartment, and I want to re-decorate our...
need help with re-decorating in a "coastal" theme.
Is there a way to incorporate my heavy brown leather...
Bathroom Sink Faucet
We selected our master bathroom faucet to be the Kohler...
Would love ideas!!
We are in the process of buying this house. It is our...
Bedroom/bathroom color
I need help! My bedroom and bathroom are very neutral....
I need help with my daughters bathroom tiles
My daughters r 3 and 22 months was looking for a cute...