Wall idea
theburgess3368
Got these drapes made and I still am not satisfied. Suggesting?? Yes I am replacing blinds ASAP with shutters
howellmsue
Can you show us the rest of your room so we can get a feeling for your "style"? What specifically are you not satisfied with? The first thing that I noticed was the dark trim around your door- I would paint it white to match the rest of your trim and maybe paint the door itself a color?
July 13, 2013 at 8:50PM     
theburgess3368
What color should I paint door?
July 13, 2013 at 8:55PM     
theburgess3368
This is the wall you see when you wall into the house so I was looking for something eye catching
July 13, 2013 at 8:56PM   
sutherlandll
Sheers instead of blinds would improve the look of the drapes.
July 13, 2013 at 8:57PM     
I also would paint out the door trim white, I would leave the door white and paint the walls a gold tone from your painting, leaving the fireplace wall as is. ;)
July 13, 2013 at 8:59PM     
theburgess3368
I have removed everything off the wall behind this couch. I'm just lost. This my fireplace on other wall
July 13, 2013 at 8:59PM     
theburgess3368
Should I paint all the way up
July 13, 2013 at 9:06PM     
Yes, and then what ever color you paint , dilute the paint 75% for the ceiling.
July 13, 2013 at 9:14PM     
Eileen
Definitely paint the curtained wall to reduce the contrast between it and the drapery. Leave the bottom panels pulled back, the windows are to pretty to hide them behind the panels. As much as I like the elephant print over the fireplace, have you tried switching it with the round mirror? Then display your collection of candle sticks on the mantel flanking the mirror. The wall behind the sofa needs more texture, it's too flat with the white sofa, I think the elephant picture will give it that. Looks like you also need a large area rug.
July 13, 2013 at 9:45PM     
OH NO, don't touch the elephant, I love it where it is!!
July 13, 2013 at 9:48PM     
theburgess3368
Elephant need to stay over fireplace because when you enter I have two large column so picture would be hidden into you come all the way into the house
July 14, 2013 at 4:37AM     
jillstuf
I agree, remove the elephant, it dwarfs the fireplace. move to area giving in to the elephant . they are both in competition w each other
July 14, 2013 at 4:55AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
leelee
Girlfriend, you don't need to even be thinking about painting the ceiling. The mini-blinds should go. The curtains (and I'm sure they were expensive) are overkill for the wall. The top window was not meant to have a curtain especially underneath it. I think you can use the fabric to have some curtains panels made that would go straight across and cover the windows and the door when pulled shut. You need one long rod...keep the height of the side panels.

The pictures over the door should be moved elsewhere.

Definitely PAINT the trim around the door so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

You've got a nice sofa and I love your mirror and candlestick holders. They were fine behind the sofa. I'm not trying to be mean but the "before" picture looked better. You way over-did it on the curtains.
July 14, 2013 at 5:06AM     
leelee
Just an idea...do you need curtains in the bedrooms? You could have those remade for the bedrooms and get some light colored panels to use on the windows and door for the great room.
July 14, 2013 at 5:08AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
leelee
Shutters are wonderful but wood blinds are much less expensive and still look very nice. You should stick with white for the color on those.
July 14, 2013 at 5:23AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
McFeely Window Fashions
Specifically what don't you like about them? Maybe you would have liked it better if just the side windows were treated with the treatment with an asymmetrical look?
July 14, 2013 at 5:30AM     
I have to agree with leelee. Those drapes are way too much. It looks like a giant eggplant ate your room.

Center the sofa and the mirror on that wall and remove that scrolly thing. It serves no purpose and isn't very interesting.

Decor is more than filling walls. It's combining things you love with a sense of balance and proportion. You'll improve proportions immediately when you remove the drapes.
July 14, 2013 at 6:03AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
saya85
Hi, I agree the trim needed to be painted on the windows. Also I'm glad you removed all the ornaments and wall hangings behind your sofa.
I love your fireplace wall, it's beautiful and classic and I don't think it dwarfs it. I think this wall along with your sofas is more your style? Clean classic lines but lots of interest/drama.

I think the original curtains were way too heavy and fussy for you (as was th wall behind sofa)

Would hanging sheer curtains either side of ur arch window help?

Again straight classic lines, dreamy sheer curtains and doesn't detract from rest of room
July 14, 2013 at 9:15AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
saya85
Maybe painting that wall a soft accent colour would create the wow look you wanted whilst making the doors and windows pop
July 14, 2013 at 9:17AM     
saya85
But tbh you don't necessarily need anything

Could look great without anything! As long as rest of room is balanced. Remove blinds too? Unless its too bright/privacy issues.
Or add some sort of moulding underneath the arch to FIL that gap above the door :)
July 14, 2013 at 9:20AM     
saya85
Like in this photo

Also you could actually horizontally divide the triangular ceiling part with the squarer wall underneath by using moulding or equivalent as in this picture
July 14, 2013 at 9:24AM     
saya85
I'm not a big fan of the 'half mast' look in this photo

I woild prefer the full height sheers-just two either side of arch, or no window dressing inc blinds at all.
Go big or go home! :)
July 14, 2013 at 9:28AM   
saya85
Ooh this just came to me whilst I was browsing... Why not create window seats on either side? Then the arch and doors become vertically highlighted as the central part of the wall and less 'blah' of an empty space?

July 14, 2013 at 9:44AM   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I have to agree with others that the drapes are over kill and are too traditional in feel for your more contemporary furniture. Since I am sure this was expensive so I need to give you some solutions. The first thing that may really help is the 1/2 moon drape below the window needs to be removed as well as the tree small pictures. Dont spend money on shutters right now till you figure the rest out. A large architectural element may fit nicely between the door and the bottom of the arched window. If you can reuse the fabric then another solution would be to take the drapes all the way across the line where the ceiling meets the walls as previously suggested and leave arched window alone. I guess what I really want to say is that it all probably needs to come down and start over. Sorry
July 14, 2013 at 10:02AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
Bonnie
I agree with some of the other comments that the drapes are too much for that wall. I would have them recut as someone suggested into drape panels for either side of the windows. The dramatic swags do not go with the clean lines of your furniture items and you will forever feel like something isn't right No switching around of pictures will help the imbalance created by the window treatments...sorry they need to be redone to drapes or removed.
July 14, 2013 at 10:14AM     
Keitha
I'm on Margo's side.... Leave the elephant over the fireplace.
July 14, 2013 at 10:44AM     
howellmsue
Back to the drapes.... How about removing the half moon swag under the window? Also take down the three small pictures and replace them with one large horizontal item.
July 14, 2013 at 7:43PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
sstarr
Agree about removing the half moon of material under the window... it closely resembles a mourning bunting...
July 14, 2013 at 7:59PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
theburgess3368
What you think ?
July 14, 2013 at 8:17PM   
theburgess3368
What you think if I done something like this
July 14, 2013 at 8:43PM   
Bonnie
Re: elephant pic... Love the elephant pic and think it really pops against the gold paint but you should center it over sofa. It is awkard off to the left.
July 14, 2013 at 9:59PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
Bonnie
Re: curtains... I like that bath photo. It is kind of fun but this room is a little "old world" and rustic, which is the opposite of the type of furniture you have. The simple modern lines in your furniture don't really go with a swag treatment.
July 14, 2013 at 10:01PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
Bonnie
I am confused....?!! Is that brown sofa above in your room? I thought you had modern ivory colored sofas? Do you have new furniture?
July 14, 2013 at 10:03PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
Eileen
Confused about furniture too, but I have to say I like the elephant over the fireplace better.
July 14, 2013 at 10:16PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
cactusbound
You have a good start. Love the seating. However, the chair does not go with the rest of your contemporary style. Which brings us to the drapery wall. I know you spent a lot of time a money with this but it really doesn't work. I agree that the trim around the door should be painted. And I love your idea of the shutters and not sheers. Clean lines are what you started with and should keep that thought. Love the elephant where it is. Declutter behind the couch. Clean lines, remember?
July 14, 2013 at 11:12PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
cactusbound
Oh, and remove the three little frames over the door too. Good luck with the finished room. Just stay focused.
July 14, 2013 at 11:13PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
doctornancy
It is wonderful to walk into a home and be awed by the first look. I believe that is what you are trying to achieve. You have some beautiful decor items in your room, but they are competing with each other. Select one area of your room to be the star performer. I suggest the fireplace with that magnificent elephant art and dark mossy green wall color. Everything else in the room can play a supporting role. Rather than having your window treatment steal the show, allow it to instead play a supporting role by reducing its size. Paint the other walls in the room a greened gold (less gold and more muted than is showing up in my image) and the ceiling 1/4 strength of the gold wall color. This will reduce the contrast between the walls and the drapery and lessen their impact in the room. Repeat the drapery color and wall color in the room - in an area rug or in pillows. Good luck. You are not that far away from having the look you are seeking.
July 15, 2013 at 12:06AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
theburgess3368
Oh brown couch isn't staying had company over
July 15, 2013 at 3:29AM   
theburgess3368
If elephant goes back over fireplace, what should go behind couch. Almost thinking of getting another couch. Because I recovered my chairs myself and I'm so proud!! First timer
July 15, 2013 at 3:41AM     
leelee
Your sofa is fine and the arrangement you had behind the sofa was very nice. The curtains are throwing the whole room off.

I suggested having them re-made like Nancy Reese's picture but if you're getting shutters or wood blinds you do not need anything else over the windows.
July 15, 2013 at 6:13AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
leelee
Since you're obviously talented (you did an amazing job on the chair!) Get out your paint brush and paint the trim around the door today. Put it back like it was when it matched the window trim. While you're up on the ladder....just remove those pictures. Somebody's going to get a crick in their neck trying to see pictures that high up.

Cactusbound has reminded you that clean lines are what you need. I agree. Keep it simple.
July 15, 2013 at 6:22AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
leelee
Take another look at saya's pic Corbett Lighting. Beautiful.

The Burgess3368, the picture you showed of curtains about 12 comments up -- it would look better without those curtains, too! Fancy, over-done curtains are out of style. If you want the boudoir look then go for it in your bedroom or guest room.
July 15, 2013 at 6:33AM      Thanked by theburgess3368
JMittman Designs
Your chair looks fabulous-congrats. I believe someone steered you wrong on the window treatment though. I concur with those who say it should be take down and start over. At a minimum, the swags above and below the top window should be removed.--can't tell if you can do that on the top part--,and pull the sheers back as in one of the photos. Too bad another window was not built above the doors. :(
July 15, 2013 at 7:07AM      Thanked by theburgess3368
theburgess3368
Rearranging things now, thanks for everyone feedback☺
July 15, 2013 at 1:15PM   
theburgess3368
I will be removing tv out livingroom also
July 15, 2013 at 1:16PM   
theburgess3368
I have a couch I'm not using anymore that I think I will clean it up and put I'm the living room and use my leather couch and love seat up stairs because someone commented that I shouldn't do leather and cloth in one room.
July 15, 2013 at 1:18PM   
theburgess3368
Sorry picture isn't bright but I do believe you will like this better!
July 15, 2013 at 1:21PM     
Sorry Burgess but I do not like the elephant over the door ;( He loses his sense of command, and appears as a space filler...just sayin'
July 15, 2013 at 1:32PM     
theburgess3368
But I need a good entry focus point
July 15, 2013 at 1:35PM   
Bonnie
I really like the drapes! And Paint! But sorry have to agree with Margo... the elephant over the door loses all its ooomph and doesn't really help that wall.
July 15, 2013 at 1:35PM     
theburgess3368
Look
July 15, 2013 at 1:38PM   
Bonnie
What is on the other side of the glass doors? Is that a deck? Since you can see through to the deck (patio?) as you walk in through the front door then maybe part of the plan should be to decorate the deck so that when you walk through the front door you get this peek onto a beautiful deck with wonderfully inviting seating, an umbrella, planters with flowers etc...
July 15, 2013 at 1:38PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
OK burgess, those curtains on the sidelights of your doors are not doing anything . What you entry needs is a new ceiling mount fixture. I will go shopping and be back ;)
July 15, 2013 at 1:45PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
Bonnie
I think you could get away with leaving the wall blank above the door but if you really feel like you would like to have something there how about a starburst mirror? Something to add a little twinkle?Laurelhurst House
Contemporary Living Room
July 15, 2013 at 1:46PM   
theburgess3368
Front door
July 15, 2013 at 1:48PM   
leelee
Hey, you painted the trim, yea! Much, much better without all that fabric, too. I don't think you need anything kind of picture over the door.

I love your leather couch. Very stylish. You most definitely can mix leather with fabric in the same room.
July 15, 2013 at 1:50PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
tammythiesse
I'm afraid that I don't care for the elephant above the door either. I liked it above the fireplace.
July 15, 2013 at 1:52PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
Here is a new ceiling mount light fixture for your front door ;) I took the lead from the colors of the elephant picture.

July 15, 2013 at 1:54PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
theburgess3368
Hard to explain but my entry way and my column are 50in. apart and dining room is off to the left and to get a good view of behind sofa or over fireplace you have to Come all the way into living room. at times people only go toward dining room. You can't get a great view of elephant until you come inside around column
July 15, 2013 at 2:01PM   
theburgess3368
Gorgeous
July 15, 2013 at 2:02PM   
burgess- that is the beauty. Making a path to only keep finding better things ;) NOW PUT THE ELEPHANT BACK OVER THE FIREPLACE WHERE HE BELONGS lol
July 15, 2013 at 2:04PM     
susanlh2010
I really love the elephant. I would leave it over the fireplace. Pick up one of the lovely colors in the painting and paint the "trouble" wall with it. Pick up more colors from the painting and create some pillows for the couches and finally, find an area rug that contains the same hues. The elephant is whimsical and classy. Using it for your palette could put some wow in your room and bring it altogether.
July 15, 2013 at 2:32PM     
theburgess3368
I'm tired NO MORE PAINTING LOL! My hands and neck hurt
July 15, 2013 at 2:35PM   
susanlh2010
Oh, forgot to add...lose the drapes. I sorry about that. Sometimes we take risks and it doesn't work. It is hard to recognize that a project has flopped when you are invested in it. The best way to evaluate is to ask others and you are doing that. YEAH! Don't let this boo boo shake you...just head back to the drawing board...been there, done that.
July 15, 2013 at 2:39PM     
saya85
Ok burgess! I think I've got it lol.
The way I see it is your wall lacks a little but of architectural detail and finishing- the arch window is too high up and looks lost- hence doesn't give you the wow effect of talk windows.

So what is actually needed to emphasise this is to create a vertical window effect, and join the door and arch.

In this photo the arch and window are closer together so it looks great.
So I feel you should add some wide moulding underneath the arch and above door to narrow the gap.
In addition to this you could actually paint the gap white too! This would give you a strong vertical eyeline giving you the wow factor you wanted. You could even texture it if you really wanted but I'd be careful not to make it too fussy or ornate.
July 15, 2013 at 2:54PM     
saya85
Lastly and I totally agree with bonnie, I'm so glad we finally see what's outside those windows!!

I can't believe you've covered it up with drapes and blinds! What a wonderful space.
What you really need is to spruce that patio up with more planting, and that will give you all the colour and drama you wanted- after all what better artwork and wow factor is there but nature itself :)

And trust me, when people see that they will be bowled over!
More than any window dressing will bring
July 15, 2013 at 2:58PM     
saya85
And I'm talking about this from experience!
My own room has a large patio door at end of it, and whilst we couldn't decorate the room we've updated the garden massively, and it's south facing too.
eVERYONE absolutely loves it! Your eye is immediately drawn to the outside and how many people get a view like that??
July 15, 2013 at 3:00PM     
saya85
Look at all the green! And then add a fantabulous chandelier style ceiling light

Ahh
July 15, 2013 at 3:03PM     
saya85
Or split the ceiling horizontally

July 15, 2013 at 3:05PM     
saya85
Here's a diff version... I wouldn't go for brick but hopefully you get the idea of filling the gap :)

July 15, 2013 at 3:08PM   
theburgess3368
Can I put mirror over french doors??
July 15, 2013 at 3:20PM     
Gantt's Decorating
Tat LEELEE knows what she's talking about!! All I would add is that those pannels on each side are still too much and don't make any sense. You need to you need to make a nice pair of drapes that fit the windpows and actually look like they might close. The only thing I disagree with LeeLee on is the elephant picture over the door. I like it and think except for the drape panels, you have a greatly improved room and impressive wall.
July 15, 2013 at 3:35PM     
Yes, more than Gantt ! ;)
July 15, 2013 at 4:26PM   
tennisanyone
I'm glad the drapes are down but I would put the elephant back over the fireplace.
July 15, 2013 at 4:38PM     
Don Chowan
I am wondering what do you call this?
July 15, 2013 at 4:55PM   
theburgess3368
What do I call what?
July 15, 2013 at 5:07PM   
theburgess3368
Seen this and got the idea to put picture over door
July 15, 2013 at 5:26PM   
Bonnie
burgess... you are a good sport with everyone throwing their opinion in this way and that! LOL At least everyone agrees the elephant is great!
July 15, 2013 at 5:35PM     
theburgess3368
Lol☺
July 15, 2013 at 5:36PM   
theburgess3368
Similar, I like this !
July 15, 2013 at 5:48PM   
Been watching this progress and have to agree you're a good sport. I'm also in agreement with some of the suggestions.The drapes had to go and I hope you find another use for them or the fabric. If you have kids you can always donate them for a school play! lol Saya85 made a good point about trying to unite the window and door. I don't know what kind of ceiling fixture you have in this space, but hope it is a WOW chandelier. You could replicate the look of the arched window by mirroring the space between it and the door, using trim molding to continue the lines of the window as they might look if it continued down the wall to the door. Then hang a stunning chandelier to be doubled in the reflection. Have you thought about further enhancing the space so the elephant feels at home? After that, spend your energy enhancing what is outside so it can be part of the space visually. You might want to post your back patio/yard area as another dilemma, adding that you want it to tie to the indoors so the two spaces flow and combine visually.
July 15, 2013 at 5:56PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
Gantt's Decorating
Bonnie, the drape would look better if the pole went totally across the window. Then The drapes might actually be closed or at least look like they could be closed.
Bonnie
Gantt... that is fine. I wasn't addressing any of my comments to you or anyone else personally. I just admire people who are opened minded enough to take in suggestions and think about-- like Burgess has done. Please don't take offense to anything I said. I mostly just skim comments and don't recall what you may have said. I think there is always more than one right answer to a design dilemma and it's great to hear everyone's ideas.
July 15, 2013 at 6:04PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
theburgess3368
Nobody said anything about if I could put the brown mirror on the large wall.
July 15, 2013 at 6:19PM     
theburgess3368
Comments and I will try to move drapes over to edge of window and still pull back.
July 15, 2013 at 6:51PM     
theburgess3368
Great news elephant picture over fireplace
July 15, 2013 at 6:52PM     
Bonnie
Burgess... actually, I think the wall looks pretty nice in your last post. I don't think the brown mirror would go
July 15, 2013 at 7:26PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
burgess- try putting the scrolly thing that you show vertical, horizontal, could work? No mirror up there. A mirror should reflect something interesting like a chandelier.
July 15, 2013 at 7:28PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
theburgess3368
Is this giraffe to childish to put in living room. Lol!
July 15, 2013 at 7:50PM   
kimdee24
Late to the party, and agreeing with Margo -- I think the scrolly thing would look nice above the doors -- in the horizontal position. I was actually thinking of suggesting something like that earlier today, if you really think you need something up there, I think it's a good choice.
July 15, 2013 at 7:53PM     
NO!!!!! Let's not turn the room into a animal art museum LOL
July 15, 2013 at 7:54PM     
OK- now we have 2 that want to see the scrolly thing moved, go get the ladder .)
July 15, 2013 at 7:55PM     
theburgess3368
Lol Ok
July 15, 2013 at 7:56PM   
theburgess3368
Should I place scrolly closer to bottom,middle, top ??
July 15, 2013 at 7:58PM     
kimdee24
Position, Margo? I'm thinking no higher than the top of the drape and centered over the door, yes?
July 15, 2013 at 7:58PM     
sstarr
Those are so sweet! Yes use them, and get something palm-frondy for the wall...
July 15, 2013 at 7:59PM     
Perfect- give it a go...
July 15, 2013 at 7:59PM   
sstarr
I went to Marlon Perkins' house once (after he died), and it wasn't very animally.
July 15, 2013 at 8:00PM     
sstarr93- who is marlon perkins?
July 15, 2013 at 8:01PM     
klizdoyke
The treatment you have is great. I love the lines. I would also add fabric on your walls. It will help pull through the lush, warm environment you are already heading towards. Maybe a gold tone. If not fabric, maybe a textured wall paper and a balance above the door.
July 15, 2013 at 8:02PM     
theburgess3368
So do you still say I should move the curtain rod over the window - pull back?
July 15, 2013 at 8:03PM   
For now leave the curtains, just deal with the scrolly
July 15, 2013 at 8:04PM     
theburgess3368
Sorry I'm all over the place! I'm driving my husband crazy! Thanks
July 15, 2013 at 8:08PM   
howellmsue
I love the scrolly thing- just make it sideways instead of up and down! Did you try your curtains with just removing the swag under the half moon window? I didn't mind the curtains at the top/sides. I thought it was dramatic- which is what I think you were going for.
July 15, 2013 at 8:37PM   
theburgess3368
Yes I did it was so so!
July 16, 2013 at 3:07AM   
theburgess3368
Right now only a plain fan and this is drapes underneath window
July 16, 2013 at 4:55AM   
"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
― William Morris

I commented earlier about removing the scrolly thing because it serves no purpose. It's not unique or especially beautiful; it simply takes up space. And in that, it diminishes the impact of anything else you have like the elephant, which truly deserves attention. Additionally, anything you put in the space between the door and the half-moon window will draw attention to that space. I would prefer you work to keep the eyes DOWN rather than encourage them to go up.

So to that end, I would eliminate window coverings altogether if you can. Your French doors and windows with their mullions are actually lovely and if the patio outside were a tropical paradise, that would be all the decoration you'd need. Between that and the elephant painting, your room would be a showstopper and no one would notice anything else.
July 16, 2013 at 5:46AM     
Groveraxle is a wise and formidable Houzzer, but I still would like to see the scrolly thing horizontal ;)
July 16, 2013 at 5:51AM     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I think that Decoenthusiate said it best. Dont keep trying to salvage the drapes in their present incarnation. Take the fabric and make a regular pair of drapes all along the wall as high as you can go. A hard cornice over them may look good too. Once you do this then we can figure out what if anything needs to go between drape and arched window. Maybe something a simple as an archetectural bracket would lookk great and could be just all you need or if you are going to continue the anumal theme maybe some animal masks or african masks which have a three demensional quality to them. The idea proposed about adding some molding to door and arched window and tehn painting it all white does sound intriquing. If some one could photoshop that for you on this site we could see if we like that befor you do it. I am not savey enough to figure it out. Also Marlin Perkins was the host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I guess I am now dating myself but it was a family tradition to watch that show which came on Sunday Lights I believe. He was the Mr Rogers of the animal world.
July 16, 2013 at 6:21AM   
Maybe your new patio could look something like this:
July 16, 2013 at 6:29AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
You are quite a gardener as well grover, but I think theburgess has a deck for a patio :) so it will have to be a potted garden.:)
July 16, 2013 at 6:33AM   
Thanks Maison for the Marlin Perkins clarification ;)
July 16, 2013 at 6:35AM   
Vivian
Coming in late on this discussion but I like the elephant over the fireplace I do not think it competes but is perfect in color and size to continue a vertical line all the way up the wall. I agree that the wall need the darker brown but I love the drapes. They add drama and are appropriate for a Africa/East India influence of the Elephant. Not fond of the blinds, at least change to a fabric blind the color of the wall. Be sure your drape covers the entire top edge when you pull them back. Take down the blinds on door and have window film for etched windows or have the windows themselves etched for a more formal look.
July 16, 2013 at 6:41AM      Thanked by theburgess3368
tennisanyone
My great room is somewhat similiar with the door in the middle and two windows on either side. What I did was add a tension rod with drapes between the windows which is four panels just for softness, they have no function and I do not need window shades for privacy. You may or may not like it but it is another idea. It might not be dramatic enough for you. This is the first room you see when you open my front door, like yours. Sometimes you just can't fight the lines in a room which I think you are doing.
July 16, 2013 at 6:59AM      Thanked by theburgess3368
And the obvious solution, for the long term perhaps:
July 16, 2013 at 7:08AM     
aaah, Oh Wizard, it just hit me as to your point, I concur!
July 16, 2013 at 7:10AM   
loubelou
Beautiful home and you received some great direction. I just wish you would stop trying to put something over that door and keep it simple.
July 16, 2013 at 7:10AM     
kimdee24
Groveraxle... wouldn't that be nice? I love windows, the more the better.
July 16, 2013 at 7:11AM   
A container garden works too:
July 16, 2013 at 7:29AM        Thanked by theburgess3368
tennisanyone
Yes, groveraxie that is beautiful and what is needed to make it proportional. That is how my great room is set up with two more trapozides on either side but the solution for burgess is still the same.
July 16, 2013 at 7:32AM   
theburgess3368
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SAY YOU LUKE THIS BECAUSE I LOVE THIS LOOK! Just have to work on porch. Reminder tv will be gone soon.
July 16, 2013 at 1:25PM     
theburgess3368
Would like to add the two side chairs by french door like this
July 16, 2013 at 1:28PM     
Vivian
I like this much better than some of the other suggestions. I like the linear look, reveals the window and subtle divides it from the area above much as a beam would. I did like the heavy look, but I know I like the unusual and like to see someone take a risk but this is a good transition from the heavy look into a more modern look.
July 16, 2013 at 1:40PM      Thanked by theburgess3368
shelleyuk
This is a massive improvement and you've been an amazing sport through this thread.
July 16, 2013 at 1:42PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
howellmsue
I like it sideways! A big improvement from the small pictures that were there.
July 16, 2013 at 1:43PM     
theburgess3368
Lk?
July 16, 2013 at 1:45PM     
theburgess3368
Like what side ways??
July 16, 2013 at 1:47PM   
theburgess3368
Oh scrolly, lol thanks
July 16, 2013 at 1:48PM   
theburgess3368
Okay now time for behind couch idea ??
July 16, 2013 at 1:55PM   
tennisanyone
I like the scroll better this way. How do you feel about rearranging the furniture? I would put the two couches on either side of the fireplace and move the TV where the mirror is.
July 16, 2013 at 1:58PM   
OK, theburgess, if you are determined to have the two drapes and the horizontal scrolly, there is one minor adjustment to be made: move the scrolly down so its center lines up with the curtain rods like so:
July 16, 2013 at 2:13PM     
tennisanyone
Can you take a picture of the other end of the room?
July 16, 2013 at 2:16PM   
theburgess3368
K
July 16, 2013 at 2:53PM   
tennisanyone
The other end.
July 16, 2013 at 4:18PM   
theburgess3368
Ik, haven't painted this wall yet
July 16, 2013 at 4:25PM   
neighweigh
@ groveraxle... or frame the swirly thing with moulding??
July 16, 2013 at 4:53PM        Thanked by theburgess3368
marymacca
Groveraxle - could you photoshop the curtains down lower on the wall....Just above the door level...
July 16, 2013 at 5:03PM   
tennisanyone
I'm confused. What couches are in the room now, the brown sectional OR the two leather beige couches in the above picture?
July 16, 2013 at 5:32PM   
theburgess3368
Beige, sorry I have temporary house guest so don't want them on my beige couch. Lol
July 16, 2013 at 6:12PM     
theburgess3368
Oh I soooooooo LOVE the framed molding!!!!!
July 16, 2013 at 6:23PM     
@theburgess, you mean that framed scrolly thing? You're kidding, right? No, I think you're not. I am so outa here. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
July 16, 2013 at 7:20PM     
theburgess3368
Wow
July 16, 2013 at 7:25PM   
theburgess3368
No I didn't someone gave me that idea but I didn't do it. Lol they edited my pic
July 16, 2013 at 7:51PM   
theburgess3368
See
July 16, 2013 at 7:54PM     
theburgess3368
Yes I realize its not centered. Late it will be. Yes I will be removing my ugly cheap blinds
July 16, 2013 at 7:57PM   
tennisanyone
Why are you blocking the door with the chairs and table? Not a good idea. I really don't like those curtains. They look like you really wanted big windows but settled for the ones you have. I feel that you are making this space something that it is not and are fighting against it.
July 16, 2013 at 8:01PM     
cassiesandre
I've just read all the posts. your room has come a long way. I love the pic on the left of the "finished look". don't change it. :)
July 16, 2013 at 9:09PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Everyone, be nice. The curtains are old-fashioned, but I don't think they are so terrible. This is a tough space to work with and I think the chairs and the elephant are great. Whoever designed this place put windows that looks good (I hope) on the outside, and didn't consider the proportions of the inside. That top window is far too close to the roofline to look right, especially as large as it is and with the big gap below. So burgess has her work cut out for her.

True, mixing traditional with modern can be tough, and I'm wondering if that brown couch will be easier to work with in that space than the white couches. I did rather like the first pictures with the white couches though and the flowered chair by the fireplace, just less stuff behind the couch and a rug and some pillows to unify it a bit.

Burgess, why don't you paint the rest of the room and the entry, leave the side curtains, the scroll thing, the elephant and the mirror where they are, and then work with a furniture arrangement, and then the accessories? Then it will be taking things one step at a time.

BTW, I think the curtains could make a really romantic bed covering. I think it is called a half tester, and has sort of a 2nd Empire French feel to it. Did an image search and apparently they are popular for Rennaisance Revival and Georgian English furniture too, but are more square and full width..
July 16, 2013 at 10:36PM   
victorianbungalowranch
Food for thought:

“Have you ever considered how much pure stuff and nonsense surrounds this subject of interior decoration? Probably not. Almost everyone believes that there is something deep and mysterious about it or that you have to know all sorts of complicated details about periods before you can lift a finger. Well, you don't. Decorating is just sheer fun: a delight in color, an awareness of balance, a feeling for lighting, a sense of style, a zest for life and an amused enjoyment of the smart accessories of the moment.” - Dorothy Draper, Decorating is Fun! (1939)

She was the inventor of "Modern Baroque" which is better known as Hollywood Regency nowadays. But her stuff was bold, oversized, high contrast, colorful with a dash of whimsy. She did mostly hotels and such, but very influential, even today. Not everyone's taste, but definitely dramatic.

It takes some guts to do, even in small doses. People who paint furniture chartreuse or hot pink combined with zebra stripe upholstery and oversized black chandeliers and such are channeling her influence. She also believed in creating vistas, as you mentioned wanting to do.

Maybe rather than toning it down, you could ramp it up with some oversized light fixtures, some large scale sculptural objects, maybe a DIY twiggy lamp to contrast with the formal elements, or even potted tree limbs (birch is rather nice--cut after it drops it leaves and put in a small bucket of plaster). Something for a dash of the unexpected and fresh. Otherwise it will look too heavy and old-world and a little fussy and Tuscan. You could also try lowering the swag to under the window and see if that works, if you still have the energy.
http://theglampad.blogspot.com/2012/12/all-hail-dorothy-draper-duchess-of.html
July 16, 2013 at 11:52PM     
Vivian
I think that there is an assumption that Houzers are Interior Decorators, but when you check out their profiles that is not always the case. To be rude to another, even when sharing your expertise or ideas with a homeowner and they do not like it or like something else better, should not be a part of our experience here. In the work a day world it is a part of our very existence. We are always having to incorporate items or ideas that we would not choose but the homeowner loves. We will adjust and try to persuade to get them to a better look but I always liked a client who could tell me what she liked and did not let me do it all my way. I always felt that people that gave up total control did not care what type of room they were living in and probably loved hotel rooms.
When I see a thread going in a direction that I find becoming homogenized and generic in details, I just quietly leave, as we all don't like our tea with lemon and sugar. Victorianbungalowranch hit the nail on the head with her Hollywood Regency as the style that you were moving toward with the heavy draping and I loved it from the beginning but knew I would probably be the only one. I love the dark rich brown with the painting and cream furniture. I also like the light patterns you are getting off of the window without the draping at the top. @ Burgess, your room had a lot more going for it when you started than a lot of completed rooms I have seen on here.
July 17, 2013 at 4:17AM     
Bonnie
Vivian... good points. I have also noted a lot of Houzers that embrace a more modern clean look which has its merits but may not be for everyone. In the end, you have to go with what you love!
July 17, 2013 at 4:56AM     
citrineowl
This conversation has been interesting to follow. There was drama, intense thought and some moments of schoolyard rivalry. I'm a simple beginner, and yet I can say without shame I know what works for me may be a disaster for someone else. So what? In MY home I am queen...

That said, I love the elephant over the fireplace. I love the "scrolly thing" and I love the idea for making the windows and door a frame for the artwork outside. I have only one suggestion... Just one: have FUN finding what YOU love... And let all nay-sayers go elsewhere. You're doing wonderfully.
July 17, 2013 at 10:38AM     
neighweigh
I'm having a chuckle about the adverse reaction to simply putting a frame around a swirliy thing - I wasn't meaning to throw a spanner in the works! Sorry all!!!
July 17, 2013 at 2:01PM     
sooneralumom
Ridiculous to think about changing drapes u just did. Agree to paint all white and a heavy horizontal iron piece over door might look nice- first try moving the one on other wall and see if something similar might work. The idea about a wall color around doors might work maybe not over fireplace
July 17, 2013 at 2:07PM   
I wish to apologize to this thread. My tantrum was childish and decidedly not helpful. I should have given my best shot and then trusted theburgess to decide. I hope in the end, burgess, you get the room that makes you smile and want to linger. You seem to be getting close. Good luck and have fun, because ultimately, that's what it's all about.
July 17, 2013 at 3:20PM     
neighweigh
Well groves, I follow a lot of your great input on houzz & particularly love the way you can project your ideas with a visual image for people. Keep it up!
July 17, 2013 at 4:05PM     
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I do like very much the drapes at the height and placement that they are now.
July 17, 2013 at 7:02PM   
sophiec32
I would just paint 2 thick stripes instead of drapes
July 18, 2013 at 5:36AM   
ivan2510
Is there any way you could use the fabric for a different treatment? Even straight panels at each side? The draping seems overwhelming and distracting.
Sometimes we don't get it just right and have to rethink the project. It's always Ok to change your mind.
July 23, 2013 at 3:57PM   
theburgess3368
Final
September 15, 2013 at 7:19PM     
Lovely. Simple, calming, and interesting all at once. The African-themed fireplace is fresh and fun. The elephant seems to be missing, though. Perhaps it's over the couch?

One last thing: pull your coffee table closer to the sofa so people can actually use it, and a small table (maybe a ceramic garden stool) between the chairs would be useful and look good.
September 16, 2013 at 6:01AM     
leelee
Just one little comment...your coffee table is in the middle of the room. It's not helpful there. Pull it in toward the sofa so someone could acutally set a drink on it. It would also look more user friendly to pull the chairs up closer to the sofa to form a conversation group. You could try positioning the chairs facing each other by putting one on either side of the sofa like in this picture.

Overall, huge improvement. You must be feeling better!
September 16, 2013 at 8:30AM     
Well, I for one am not happy LOL why you say...I miss the elephant *sigh*
September 16, 2013 at 8:35AM     
theburgess3368
Still have elephant :-)
September 16, 2013 at 8:51AM   
theburgess3368
Pic
September 16, 2013 at 8:58AM     
I still say the elephant belongs over the fireplace;)) I am glad the scolly thing has found a final resting spot;) One out of two ain't bad...
September 16, 2013 at 9:17AM     
Maguire
Looks great. You did a wonderful job recovering the chairs yourself. Have you thought about painting the legs of the chairs, maybe a dark brown?
Can you hide the air freshener behind or in the plant? Your FP is too pretty to have that on it.
The wall looks great with your scroll and no drapery. Are you still getting the shutters? How do you feel about a rug?
September 16, 2013 at 9:36AM     
MY, MY , Maguire, we are just full of questions this morning;)))
September 16, 2013 at 9:40AM     
Remove them. And small pictures above door. shutters 4" is all you need. Or use some of the fabric for panels. On ends of windows only. Place rod 5-6" above windows leave top one bare.
September 16, 2013 at 9:44AM   
leelee
Your picture is hung a little too high. Needs to be just 6 inches above the back of the sofa. Really.
September 16, 2013 at 9:49AM     
Maguire
Haha. Well it sounded like you all were done and I wanted to keep this post going! I love posters like Theburgess that try almost everything, make quick changes, take pictures and post. Fun stuff.
September 16, 2013 at 9:58AM     
I guess I came late with my post. Glad to see drapes gone. Elephant of over sofa needs to come down 4-5". Like mirror on FP. What color did you paint? Can't tell from post.
September 16, 2013 at 10:13AM     
Love the new arrangement good job everyone. It looks a 100% better. Ma
September 16, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Yes Theburgess has been quite a good sport! Thank you Theburgess;)
September 16, 2013 at 10:17AM     
theburgess3368
Yes y'all have been working me like crazy now I can settle down and play with my 17mon.!
September 16, 2013 at 4:10PM     
marymacca
Love the transformation but could you put the 2 armchairs on a bit of an angle....They look abit to formal for the african theme.
September 16, 2013 at 4:33PM   
nena55
What a great transformation! really looks integrated. I would not use the shutters. Like the windows as they are. Did you put those drapes in the doorway to dining area??? not a fan of the drapes anywhere. You now have a living room that looks clean and contemporary. The drapes look old fashioned and are not necessary anywhere. don't feel that you have to use them just because you have them. Other than that- looks perfect, elephant and all!!
September 16, 2013 at 4:53PM     
Pamela Volentine
what is that hanging in the doorway left of the fireplace? i think you have done an excellent job other than that lingering detail. one other thing you may want to consider is a large area rug to kind of anchor your seating area. be sure it's large enough that all of your seating can be on the rug. at least the front legs. that will add a bit more color perhaps...there's still a lot of brown/beige happening. and like someone else suggested, put a stool or small table in between your two chairs, stack some books on it... and lower your picture and mirror. the chairs are a great DIY!
September 18, 2013 at 9:22AM     
theburgess3368
Ok, thanks. Going shopping for a rug. Thinking of a shag rug ivory to match couch ??
September 18, 2013 at 9:26AM     
Melissa Silberberg
I really like it the windows bare burgess. The room looks so open and bright now. I think if you want anything consider something light like some thin sheer curtains or some jute shades to go with the nature, jungle feel. It looks so great though much better than when you started. Love.
September 18, 2013 at 9:27AM     
theburgess3368
I have lowed picture & mirror as well.
September 18, 2013 at 9:27AM     
theburgess3368
I agree with Bare windows!
September 18, 2013 at 9:28AM     
Melissa Silberberg
I don't think the rug should match the couch, but have something that pulls the color of the couch into it and maybe the colors of the room. Also, consider a contrasting color to brighten up the room a little like blue or orange. That might sound crazy but I think it would look good against all that brown.
September 18, 2013 at 9:30AM     
theburgess3368
Thinking of excluding dining room or tv Den area. We have NEVER ate at the table so it's pointless. My love seat to the couch could go there. So soon I will need everyone's help AGAIN
September 18, 2013 at 9:32AM     
theburgess3368
So maybe pull the metallic cobalt blue that I have in the picture into my rug choose
September 18, 2013 at 9:37AM   
theburgess3368
P
September 18, 2013 at 9:37AM   
Melissa Silberberg
That would look amazing! And it doesn't have to be the primary color in the rug, just have it in there. It would really pop.
September 18, 2013 at 9:40AM   
Pegster
You are learning as you go. Take some time to read about decorating rules, like how high to hang your artwork. Most people hang it too high. It should be hung close to whatever furniture is below it so it looks like a unit rather than a separate item in the room. I find it helpful to sit down in the room before deciding how high to hang things. They should look great to you when you are seated, not when you are standing.
September 18, 2013 at 10:19AM     
lwaylett
Wow! What an amazing thread! The room has truly progressed beautifully thanks to so many awesome suggestions. I'm really late into this, but the one issue I have are the dark colored drapes hanging on the wall and those two "drape tear drop" looking things over the doorway. I would definitely take those down. Replace dark drapes with something lighter (off white/beige) to come closer to matching trim color. Possibly a bit of pattern in them to give a more "artsy" look than just a big ol' blob of brown in the corner of the room. Over that door, remove those two teardrop things. Place a small 15 in shelf above the door frame to display some artifact upon. That will help to draw the eye up and make the room expand to its full potential.
Great job so far, though!
September 18, 2013 at 10:35AM   
lwaylett
This is our dining room. We have almost the same set up as far as windows below an upper window. Right now, I have only blinds on the lower windows and nothing at all on the top one. We are enjoying the "openness" of it all.
September 18, 2013 at 11:05AM     
theburgess3368
Took down brown sheer now where should giraffe go? R vase?
September 18, 2013 at 1:21PM     
lwaylett
Actually, I really like the giraffe by the fireplace! Interesting "conversational piece" there! He looks austere there, as though he's wondering what you people are doing in "his" living room! Yep, leave him by the fireplace in that bit of a "stepped out" position! He's great there! Taking down those brown sheers ----- YES!!
September 18, 2013 at 6:58PM     
Pamela Volentine
yes! add some color with the rug. there's a lot of earth tones going on, so i think some of that beautiful blue would be lovely! and definitely go with a pattern rather than a solid rug here. remember to get a big enough rug so that your whole seating area can fit on it...or at least the front legs.
September 19, 2013 at 8:15AM   
Pamela Volentine
it really is looking great! i like the giraffe by the fireplace also.
September 19, 2013 at 8:19AM     
Maguire
Really coming along! The giraffe looks good in either spot, but only in the corner if you remove the vase on the floor IMO. One little nit picky thing, on your sideboard, I think the smaller crystal items in the middle of the vase and candle should go on a tray, they're getting lost on the wood top. Sorry for being soooo nit picky, I know! You've done a great job!
September 19, 2013 at 8:48AM     
lwaylett
Will add that I think putting a nice plant holder with a beautiful ivy or vibrant green plant in the corner behind the giraffe that is by the fireplace.
September 19, 2013 at 10:27AM   
theburgess3368
Don't think love seat fits this area :-( I'm sad now
September 19, 2013 at 10:49AM   
theburgess3368
I had end tables to add
September 19, 2013 at 10:49AM   
Maguire
Wait...is that, no, your dining room?! Put your pretty dining room back!
What didn't you like about the way it was?
(Geezzzz, you are fast with the moving things around. You have a team over there helping you? Here one minute, gone the next!)
September 19, 2013 at 11:05AM     
theburgess3368
Nope, just me!
September 19, 2013 at 11:12AM     
theburgess3368
I need more guest seating area than a table
September 19, 2013 at 11:15AM   
chrisybair
Oh Grover you are great-- a man who can apologize and jump back in. I laughed out loud when you wrote you were outta here lol. I could just taste your frustration. :). I Enjoy reading your helpful and generous input on Houzz.
September 19, 2013 at 11:46AM     
chrisybair
And btw the burgess you have done a great job!!
September 19, 2013 at 11:50AM     
lwaylett
Table and chairs are a great space for guests to sit. Visit with coffee..... play card game.... dominoes? I liked the dining area as it was also. Maybe add more comfortable decor in the dining room too so that it comes across not as a formal dining room, but as a gathering/game type room. Replace that beautiful chandelier with a decorative ceiling fan that hugs the ceiling, but also has lights on it. That helps take the "formal" out of a dining room in a hurry!
September 19, 2013 at 11:56AM   
Maguire
Burgess you are amazing and have a strong back. Are you going to leave the loveseat in there now? Is that what we're going to work with? I guess your vase and candle can go on an end table, but what about your crystal?
September 19, 2013 at 12:08PM   
theburgess3368
Crystal too the side for now.
September 19, 2013 at 12:15PM   
theburgess3368
Yes I would like to keep love seat because I would like to put a small tv in this area. Since I took TV out living room and I'm a TV LOVER!
September 19, 2013 at 12:17PM     
theburgess3368
.
September 19, 2013 at 12:30PM     
theburgess3368
.
September 19, 2013 at 1:10PM     
Maguire
Looking better! Maybe a rectangular coffee table and a throw pillow or two (lots of circles in there). Where's the TV?
September 19, 2013 at 1:11PM   
Maguire
Oops! Our posts crossed. I like the second better. The tall in the corner looks good. You crack me up, how fast you are!
September 19, 2013 at 1:12PM     
theburgess3368
Sooooooo! Is the living room okay with only one chair ??
September 19, 2013 at 1:18PM   
Maguire
I love that plant. It looks so happy right there.
Well I think it is. I like the chair pulled up with the other furniture rather than being in the corner, BUT the other chair doesn't really work in the TV room. It's meant to be pulled out in the room - it has an angled back that doesn't work against a wall.
Use it there for now, until you find a better chair.
September 19, 2013 at 1:23PM     
theburgess3368
?
September 19, 2013 at 1:30PM   
lwaylett
That blue chair might work well in the sitting room (as long as it is not a recliner) with a throw pillow in cream or tan. And yes, I agree with PRO, the second sitting room picture shows best set-up. I also agree with PRO that both high back chairs should be back in living room maybe with small table between them for folks to set drinks. That ties them together, yet still leaves openness for the eyes to pass on through living room and out back windows. What are you going to do about a rug in the living room?
September 19, 2013 at 1:39PM   
Maguire
Hi Lwaylett, I'm actually Maguire. I agree with you too.
Where did that blue chair come from? I don't think you could have a better fit for that room with the blue in the picture and accessories isn't it perfect?
September 19, 2013 at 1:47PM     
I agree with PRO to LOL
September 19, 2013 at 2:01PM     
Chrisybair- FYI, Grover is a female.
September 19, 2013 at 2:02PM     
theburgess- you have way to many circles in one room, I would try the blue chair in the new TV room. I think the vase on the corner table is to tall, it belongs on the floor somewhere.
September 19, 2013 at 2:04PM     
Maguire
I think I like being called PRO. The all caps look impressive and important and people agree with PRO!
September 19, 2013 at 2:05PM     
Haha, It is true! I notice posters seem far more impressed with someone with a PRO under their picture;))
September 19, 2013 at 2:11PM   
Maguire
Don't tell anyone but the grey PROs are less important than the green PROs, but most of the green PROs are looking for business and I'm just here for fun.
September 19, 2013 at 2:20PM     
Gray trumps green;)
September 19, 2013 at 2:23PM   
chrisybair
Sorry, Grover, I assumed--and you know what they say about people who do that!
September 19, 2013 at 2:30PM   
P.S. forgot to say, I am going to sleep soooo much better now, knowing you took down the brown curtains:)
September 19, 2013 at 2:33PM     
chrisybair
And wow the latest pics are looking good... one of these days I will gather the nerve to post my efforts! Lol
September 19, 2013 at 2:34PM     
theburgess3368
LOL!
September 19, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Maguire
Yes, I hope you give them to someone who really needs brown curtains. You did a great job recovering those chairs BTW. You should post your step by step on here one of these days if you have the pictures.
September 19, 2013 at 2:39PM     
theburgess3368
From 18months ago
September 19, 2013 at 8:36PM     
theburgess3368
Reddish orange was pretty just got bored!
September 19, 2013 at 8:38PM   
theburgess3368
Is there a way to take our personal picture off houzz and save to phone or computer ?
September 19, 2013 at 8:39PM   
theburgess3368
Floor in dining room I took them up myself and replaced and ran all the way in living room. Was unable to color match so have no choose :-(
September 19, 2013 at 8:41PM   
Maguire
I love BEFORES!!!! What a change! You had red and white drapery too. Love the floors and the wall color you picked. You did it? You're a busy one aren't you!

Do you have a mac or pc? You may be able to drag it to your desktop. Once you save it there email to your self.
September 19, 2013 at 8:48PM   
theburgess3368
Oh okay thanks!
September 19, 2013 at 8:49PM   
theburgess3368
Oh yes my dining room
Wall & fire place have even PURPLE! UNable to find a picture tho :-( I will keep searching
September 19, 2013 at 8:50PM     
theburgess3368
I changed the coloring on this
September 19, 2013 at 8:55PM     
Maguire
Oh wow! That's great. It looks a lot better! Do you have a design or art background?
September 19, 2013 at 8:57PM   
theburgess3368
No
September 19, 2013 at 8:58PM   
Maguire
That's surprising, because clearly you enjoy it and you're good at it. I picture you flying around the room all day like a hummingbird, never standing still, or just long enough to step back to look, then going at it again! LOL!!! With your energy and speed you'd be great at flipping homes.
September 19, 2013 at 9:07PM   
theburgess3368
September 19, 2013 at 9:12PM     
Megan Smith
I have so enjoyed watching your house transform! You are quick, and it's coming along beautifully :)
September 19, 2013 at 9:21PM     
unwantedadvice
I just finished wading through this thread. My light reading for the night! Just fantastic, I can't believe how game theburgess3368 is with all the back and forth and moving furniture and doing art, the list goes on and on. Plus she has a toddler!!! My hat goes off to you. Brava! :))
September 19, 2013 at 10:36PM   
RosemaryR
Wonderful transformation, congratulations, it's lovely. Great job.
September 19, 2013 at 11:12PM   
melwishes
Fab thread - really inspiring to see the transformation. Well done Burgess.
September 20, 2013 at 8:58AM     
theburgess3368
Restrained & covered these bar stools to match chairs. 3 pic is Idea if how they used to look
September 20, 2013 at 3:47PM     
Maguire
Great job. They're cute stools, nice curves, and you've kept them from the landfill and given them new life for another 25 years! Brilliant!
September 20, 2013 at 4:49PM     
theburgess3368
Unsure where to put bar stools!
September 20, 2013 at 6:38PM   
melwishes
I'm assuming you don't have a kitchen bar they could be used at. Where did they live previously?
September 20, 2013 at 11:30PM     
RosemaryR
They look like 2 different barstools, the backs are not the same. But great job.
September 21, 2013 at 11:41AM   
theburgess3368
Ordered this rug for living room
September 25, 2013 at 1:12PM     
Pamela Volentine
That is a great rug!
September 25, 2013 at 1:15PM     
Maguire
Very nice rug! I hope you super sized it, because it looks like a super sized room. I love the pattern and colors.
September 25, 2013 at 4:01PM   
theburgess3368
It's a 5x8 I didn't see a larger size
September 25, 2013 at 4:17PM   
My guess would be an 8x10 for your space?
September 25, 2013 at 4:21PM     
theburgess3368
7ft is the length of couch so it should be okay hopefully
September 25, 2013 at 5:05PM   
Pamela Volentine
size matters. :)
September 26, 2013 at 8:55AM     
Pamela Volentine
you can layer rugs sometimes...a large inexpensive neutral sisal that fits all the seating on it with a smaller patterned rug on top for an accent...a larger rug just anchors the seating space better. the furniture needs to ALL fit, at least front legs. chairs too. look at some pictures of spaces with rugs and you'll see what I mean.
September 26, 2013 at 8:58AM   
Pamela Volentine
if you want to see how the sizes of things work and play around with furniture placement before you actually get furniture or rugs, you can put blue painters tape on the floor in the dimensions of furniture and rugs. we did that for all our potential furniture so we'd be sure it was all scaled right...make sure to consider your traffic pattern! this really helps when you are buying new stuff.
September 26, 2013 at 9:10AM   
Pamela Volentine
here is our living room with rug. we have a small room (actually long and narrow and includes a dining area and a staircase), but still needed a big rug for our L-shaped sectional sofa...he's from ikea, and his name is karl. rug from west elm.
September 26, 2013 at 9:12AM     
theburgess3368
Rug
September 28, 2013 at 3:20PM     
Cheryl Juilfs-Lorenson
Redo the wood trim around windows and door....beef it up some, make the top of the door and window trim wider....10" or so...then run the header all the way across the windows and doors on the entire wall....leave a lip on it and you can put your art work leaning on it....the drapery seems to bring the room in and it looks so heavy...
September 28, 2013 at 4:22PM   
theburgess- sorry, but it is to small. It needs to go under the sofa and the chair front legs. It is pretty tho;)
September 28, 2013 at 4:22PM     
Maguire
Too small : (
September 28, 2013 at 4:27PM     
Pamela Volentine
1. rug too small for all the furniture, but you already heard that. 2. you MIGHT could make this rug work if you took away one chair like in one of your other pics, scoot the rug under the front legs of the sofa and have front legs of one chair on the rug also. 3. your coffee table should only be 18 inches to two feet from your sofa. how the heck would you use it that far away? 4. what's your traffic pattern to get into that room to the back right or to your back exterior doors? with the chairs like they are in that last picture, you would have to squeeze past some furniture to get outside or to that other room when walking across your living room from your entry way area. 5. that is a gorgeous rug!
September 28, 2013 at 4:41PM   
Pegster
I sometimes like to angle my rugs. It leads the eye into the room and breaks up the formality of the rooms. I agree that an 8x10 or 9x12 would look better. The rug should anchor most of the furniture, not just float below the coffee table. While the rug you've chosen is very pretty, I think it looks too contemporary to go with your chairs. (But, the sofa is very contemporary, so maybe it is the chairs that don't go?)
October 1, 2013 at 1:15PM   
lwaylett
Actually, I like the size of rug you have used. Normally, rugs should have the front of the furniture touching/on them, but your room is not large enough for an 8X10 rug. I like seeing the wood floor. An 8 x 10 rug would be too much for your room. Your rug is being used as an accent piece which anchors the eye by pulling everything in the room together with color. It looks just fine. Leave it there and in a couple of years, change it out with a different one for a complete change of look in the room without totally redoing the room again. Everything looks wonderful. Enjoy what you've done. You'll find little ideas to add as time goes by that will make it even more comfortable for you. NICE JOB!

(Ok, one thing to try: pull the rug and coffee table closer to the sofa. Right now the table is just in the middle of the room and doesn't seem accessible to folks who need to reach it from the couch. That will also leave a bit more room between the fireplace and table for people to stand and enjoy the warmth of the fire. Try that and give it a few days to get used to, and see if that works better for you.)
October 2, 2013 at 9:05AM   
theburgess3368
A small change :-)
October 5, 2013 at 1:46PM     
theburgess3368
.
October 5, 2013 at 1:47PM   
RosemaryR
Unfortunately, mirror is too large and rug too small but you're getting there, keep going!
October 5, 2013 at 2:20PM     
I for one am glad the elephant is back over the fireplace;))
October 5, 2013 at 4:01PM     
unwantedadvice
I like your recent change. Yes the mirror is too big but the rug looks fine to me. Where did your two chairs go? You have really come a long way from the beginning of this thread, good job. :)
October 5, 2013 at 9:41PM   
theburgess3368
In my den
October 6, 2013 at 3:21AM     
theburgess3368
Plz explain why mirror to large I do know it's to high up plus I will be painting my light switch to blend also the cream doorbell box.
October 6, 2013 at 3:25AM   
theburgess- I think you should pull those chairs out from the corner so they sit with their front legs on the rug;)
October 6, 2013 at 4:13AM     
I also think your rug is fine in the other room, but the mirror IMO is just to big as it is larger than the sofa, and to be honest, the silver frame for me does not work.
October 6, 2013 at 4:17AM   
unwantedadvice
theburgess, I like the chairs in the den, they look quite nice in there. Margo is correct, no artwork, mirror, whatever you put over a piece of furniture, rather upholstered or wooden, etc., should not exceed the width of that piece. I didn't know that except when I read it once in a magazine! One magazine that is good with the basics, etc. is HGTV's. It is not much and Vern Yip usually does an article about the "basics" each month. It also features "regular" people that decorate their homes, rooms. Buy one at the store first to see if you like it! :)
October 6, 2013 at 10:11AM   
Mirror over sofa to big. Think scale. To sofa. For a 7 ft sofa use a 5 ft art or mirror. That mirror is nice. And could be used as a floor mirror. Just leaning it vertically against a wall. Art in color would work better over sofa. Hang anything 6-7" above top of furn.
October 6, 2013 at 12:54PM     
theburgess3368
.
October 6, 2013 at 5:38PM   
theburgess- that poor elephant is tired of moving around the house LOL. He belongs over the fireplace.
October 6, 2013 at 5:50PM     
Need help finding a picture of a bathroom mirror
Hi there, I'm looking for a specific picture. It's...
Narrow Area in a Basement Bar
We just completed a basement bar renovation with granite...
Help us choose paint colors.
We will be painting the roof charcoal/black to match...
Paint it?
My family room is very dark. We have many trees so...