I need help decorating my desk and dresser.

claudiaaaJuly 13, 2013
I am willing to remove or add any items off the two surfaces, except my TV and lamp. Also I am willing to buy so,e reasonably priced items. Located behind the desk is a small door leading to the plumbing. Any ideas to make it less of an awkward eyesore?

*note* I am aware the dresser and desk don't match
claudiaaa
Also I would like a pop of color. My room is mostly mixes of pale blue, green, and purple.
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:24PM
saya85
Hi, I would immediately swap the dresser and table around. Would hide the 'eyesore' door (assuming you wouldn't need constant access to it and could move the dresser in emergencies).

This would also allow you to move the desk a little further apart and hang something above your desk.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:54AM
saya85
Secondly I would consider painting the dresser a colour from your room
BecinSC · More Info

Or white or grey if you want a mor neutral colour for long term use
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:55AM
saya85
Or something bolder if you really want a pop of colour!
Modern Vintage Nursery · More Info
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:56AM
saya85
Or if you want to leave the dresser where it is, then move your desk in front of the window(?) on the right wall? Create some separation between dresser and desk, and maybe put a plant to cover the plumbing door
On Golden Pond · More Info

Depends what you use the desk for?
Larger picture of your room would help, but I really think you need a more dramatic desk and chair :)
Second hand vintage style furniture would work brilliantly on a budget!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:01AM
pattiegoode
Saya85 has given you very good advice! Pix of all 4 walls of the room are always needed to give good advice. That said, it looks like the walls & trim are white & the desk top is white. Painting the wall a contrasting color will help the "door" fade away - door & trim should be painted the wall color. Another custom-built option with the existing layout would be to mount a shelf over the "door" facing & add a front piece in the same material/ finish to hide it. This would need to run the length of the desk top. Hiding the cords & power strip would help. Wall-mounting the TV would also help; as would adding a piece of artwork or cool poster. Ikea has an awesome table you put rollers on & place over the bed. I think that would be the coolest desk ever if I was single.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:26AM
pattiegoode
The Railyards · More Info

jvw home · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:32AM
saya85
Hey that's given me an idea for my own bedroom pattie! I could use a table over the bed like that, especially when I'm cowering over my laptop in bed or trying to write something! (Bedroom isn't big enough for a separate desk)
Thanks :)
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:35AM
sunbev
It looks as though your desk is attached to the wall and the dresser is too deep to swap out the two, due to the opening of closet. One way of getting color and functionality is to by a thrift store pic with a frame.Take out the pic and wrap it with batting and a fabric with colors and design you like and wrap the picture, place it back in the frame and place on the wall over desk or rest it on the desk.This will be functional as a message board using straight pins or tacks to hold what ever. You may also want to cover the desk with a material cover. Think outside the box and maybe use a cheap printed single bed sheet or curtain. Cut off one end to use for the message board and the rest to cover the desk. A second sheet or curtain could be used to cover the closet opening. Have fun with your venture....
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 11:23AM
claudiaaa
Thank you I appreciate all of your guys feedback. It has made me open to moving furniture around, although I don't have too many options due to the fact of the size of my room. I have an idea and I would like you guys to let me know what you think of it. How about I move my desk where my chest is, so it is facing/looking towards my bed and then move the chest where my desk was? But, here is the catch, I would move it so that the door leading to the plumbing acts as a headboard and I can make the chest into a window seat and I can get pillows and make a cushion for it. It would not be the most normal looking window seat, But it may work. Let me know. If you don't think it would look good, I do like the idea of switching the desk and dresser as a start. I am going to look back at your guys comments and read through them again.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:39PM
claudiaaa
I like the idea of painting it, but I could not do so until next summer because I am working on other projects for the house and would not have the time to do that, yet.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:41PM
claudiaaa
Also I plan on hiding the power strip too. I found some great DIY posts on Pinterest for doing that. I do agree that it would definitely help.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:43PM
claudiaaa
I also do like the bed desk item, but I can't move the bed out far enough to fit it because the bed would block my closet door. I really loved that idea though. It is a bummer that I can't.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:47PM
claudiaaa
I know that I had rather large furniture for my room, which isn't smart, but I need the storage.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 2:55PM
saya85
Ahh what a difference a few more photos can make! Now we have a real sense of the room and your colours.

I love the window seat idea (window seats are a luxury here because we never have enough floor space for one!)

Here's an idea tho... Put the dresser in the opposite corner of the room (under your notice board?)

Then place the chest directly under the window for a proper window seat.

And get a nice desk to put in place of the dresser
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:00PM
claudiaaa
I also could not move the pieces anywhere else in the house because it is not mine.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:00PM
saya85
Could you take one more photo of the wall behind the bed?
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:01PM
claudiaaa
I tried to do the window seat idea but it did not work because the space was not large enough. After I moved everything I realized I needed an extra outlet for it to work out, but I don't have one. I am really stuck.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:23PM
claudiaaa
Here is the picture. Thank you again for your input.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:24PM
saya85
Oh do you mean you couldn't move the dresser to the opposite wall? I.e foot of bed?

You should be able to get an inexpensive extension lead for your electrical outlet and jus wire it around the skirting on floor of room so it's not noticeable

Hmm to stop you lugging around the dresser try just moving the desk out and putting the chest directly under the window... Pop the desk at the foot of ur bed to see if layout works? Picture would be good of the rearrangement.

Ok il have to go bed now its midnight here! Lol but will sleep in it and get back to you :)
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:41PM
abbyjean
Will your desk fit on the wall by the foot of your bed, under that framed board? Then move the chest over by the window? LOVE your bed and the colors in your room!!!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:48PM
abbyjean
Still thinking here.....grab a measuring stick instead of moving it all, but could your bed go where your dresser and desk are so you could have a little night stand? And the dresser where the headboard is, on that wall? The desk should fit somewhere, but then that plumbing wall will be hidden, too.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:53PM
saya85
Exactly what I was thinking!@abby.

Place the bed along dresser wall...
Move the dresser maybe to the corner under the notice board... And the desk can actually go under the window wher the bed is ATM. I love when you can look put a window while sitting at your desk... That way you will also have space for a chair?depends on dimensions of room!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 4:00PM
saya85
It looks about 10x11'?
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 4:02PM
abbyjean
A chair or that fun bench with some great pillows! I'll be right over and we shall start moving furniture!!!
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 4:09PM
claudiaaa
I thought about the bed going on the dresser wall but because of the tall headboard it would block a
large part of the window which I am not crazy about how that will look. If I make the bed so that it is on the dresser wall but facing the opposite way, then the headboard will act as a wall when you walk in because it would placed at the entry door. I then thought about turning the bed outward so that it was facing the wall it is at now, but there isn't enough space for the new idea of putting the desk there. May be I will just leave it as it is? My original question was how to decorate my dresser because all it has is a picture frame and tissue box. Could you help me with that? Also thank you for your effort towards trying to make my room work.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:20PM
abbyjean
You are exactly right......stick to the topic here! :) How about a black framed mirror over the dresser to tie in the black tv and then maybe something green on the dresser to bring in the bedding. Hmmmmm.......let me think about what that would be.
    Bookmark   Thanked by claudiaaa    July 14, 2013 at 6:02PM
abbyjean
Would you have more books to put across the desk to hide that door a little more and then put a cute little book holder at the edge or a potted plant even? Right now the way the books just stop, it does call attention to what you are trying to hide.
    Bookmark   Thanked by claudiaaa    July 14, 2013 at 6:04PM
abbyjean
Would you have a family pic or one of friends that could go in a green frame on the dresser? Do you collect anything or have a special Willow Tree that could sit there to make you smile each day?
    Bookmark   Thanked by claudiaaa    July 14, 2013 at 6:07PM
saya85
Lol point taken. I like Abby's ideas but not sure about the black mirror, think it would stick out even more.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:41AM
saya85
If you could put a little shelf over the plumbing door then you could put your books up onto it, thereby freeing the desk space underneath
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:43AM
saya85
Alternatively ikea do a lot of 'faux' shelves that actually are freestanding and sit on the desk, again giving you extra workspace.

I love the colours you have in your bedroom.
Any thoughts on actually getting a new desk? Vintage second hand or repurpose a different table?

P.s I wasn't sure why you can't fit a desk over your bed like the earlier hoUzzer suggested... It looks like you could shift your bed slightly to right.. Those desks are very slim and just slide right over... That way you can have your window seat too :)
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:46AM
abbyjean
And it looks like you and your friends could make the 'bed desk' in an evening. Fun lil project to do together! You could paint it fun colors to go with your pillows. I think the bed "should be" centered on the wall where it is, for looks and to get it a little further away from the curtains. The desk would fit then, too.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:49AM
saya85
Or if you do want to reconsider moving your desk in front of the window then I think you'll enjoy using it mor too! That way you could fit a plant and mini bookshelf in front of the plumbing door.
I love this photo and it has very similar colours to your room but few shades lighter.
Abby's right decorating is easy, just pick accesso
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:52AM
saya85
Accessories in your colour scheme.. Just don't buy too much and clutter your space!
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:53AM
saya85
If you need more storage/shelving solutions then you could fix some rails
Bedroom/Office · More Info

Also wallpaper is a cool way of adding a pattern to a desktop without painting it
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:56AM
abbyjean
How about a jewelry box? Or maybe a nice little bouquet of flowers, since your bedding has flowers on it?
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:58AM
Need Help: living room fireplace ideas, editing furnishings/decorating
I just had a design/installation come give me an estimate...
Bronwyn
I need to figure out how to fit a small desk in my daughters room.
The room is small and I have a bedroom set in it, which...
tearose128
Need help decorating our bedroom!
We sold all of our old bedroom furniture and have the...
Andrea Prasch
Need help decorating with ugly fireplace
I just moved into a new place in SF with an old Victorian...
Rebecca Searles
NEED HELP WITH DECORATING MY 5 YEAR OLD SON'S BEDROOM
The room is rather small 12sq meters approx. Some...
merav
Best solution for dog's bed in a small apartment
Ok people, our dog do not sleep in our bed. Sorry pet...
Jorge Aristizábal
Kitchen layout help please!!
I would love some feedback on where the appliances...
Angela Flotken
Utilize my apartment space
I want to rearrange my apartment lay out to look more...
Benjamin Gharbawi
Only have a picture of the wallpaper I want to purchase. Help
I seen some wallpaper and beauty salon and fell in...
rholt456
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats