Want to change this "blue" accent wall.
hamma2four
The family room is very large so a dark color can do well in this space but I am not a fan of this blue. It feels too cold in the room with the white walls. I would like to tone down the white walls and do the accent color maybe a shade of red. Not sure what color that would go nice with the brick and all the wood trim around fireplace and windows.
Amy Wax
In a room like yours the wall color is a really important choice being that you have so much open wall space. I created an app called Color911. ( find out more about it at Color911.com) You can create your own palette of colors OR take/find a photo of something that inspires you and pull the colors from it.. or what I think would be a big help to you is to look at the pre-made color themes. Within the app are many pre-made color themes that are colors that all work beautifully together. You can choose any number of colors within a theme and use the colors for everything from wall color to curtain color to accent pillows you name it. If you find a theme that inspires you it can be great fun to shop for anything when you have the theme to use as your guide. I attached a screen shot of one of the themes in the app. Each of the themes are different, I thought the warm colors go with your woods in your home but the theme also gives you great accent wall color options. There are many color themes within the Color911 app and everyone is very different. This is just a sample. I hope this inspires you!
July 14, 2013 at 3:41AM   
Mark
You will get lots of suggestions for paint colors but I do think you should consider removing the pediment from the top of your fireplace mantel.
July 14, 2013 at 3:46AM     
Amy Wax
I think removing the pediment is a good idea, I also would suggest not using shiny paint which it looks like what was used the last time it was painted. I would used flat or matte for the ceilings and matte for the walls.
July 14, 2013 at 4:25AM   
Mark
I'd be tempted to paint the oak trim and fireplace and go in a new direction. I think white/off white trim would breath new life into this room, then you can go with lots of current paint colors and not have to worry about what will go with the oak. As I stated before taking off the pediment on top of the fireplace would give the fireplace a totally new look as well.
July 14, 2013 at 8:58AM     
hamma2four
Here is a better photo. My boyfriend won't let me paint the woodwork or the fireplace. Maybe I can talk him into removing pediment.
July 14, 2013 at 11:58AM   
ilanabuchsbayew
The wood is beautiful! Don't take it off- but def consider painting it! You can paint it something neutral and have the wall painted something more dramatic. I think a brick red with some warm orange in the red would be nice for the wall and possibly a soft beige for the wood. The other walls can be the same color you paint the wood....
July 14, 2013 at 5:38PM   
anne dee
Your walls need to be one color only!
July 14, 2013 at 5:42PM   
anne dee
this inspiration pic may give you some ideas what to choose that will work with your present furniture and rug colors

July 14, 2013 at 5:45PM   
Ugly black stone fireplace!
We just purchased a brand new house and my husband...
carrara marble
Is carrara marble o.k. to use on kitchen counters or...
Furniture Behind a Door? A Definite No-No?
Hi There! This is my first post! :) I'm having...
What color should I be?
I found this free Armoire and I am considering painting...