Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arionne1

Help me fix my mantel ...please ;)

arionne1
10 years ago
Just moved in and the room feels cold. I'm leaning towards minimal but I want the room to feel homey... Lived in. Any suggestions?

Comments (13)

• mjdon
    10 years ago
    Hi there! You could paint the FP wall in one of the darker shades in your pilow or rug, or I always like a nice glossy black paint on the mantel. I've done both and loved it. Warms it up and adds a little drama and its just paint! Maybe move the mirror if it reflects something not so pretty. I had to take mine down because when sitting on the sofa it reflected the light fixture above.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Your mirror is a good start but the picture isn't good. It's almost the same size as the mirror . You probably have some items around your home that you could try? The picture definitely needs to move to a new location. Try the silver hearth items on the mantel with some smaller silver pieces, too.

You can angle the mirror down just a bit by placing something like a small cork behind the top (you must hang it securely with a picture hanger in order to do this). Then you see more of the room.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love the round mirror. Here are some inspiration photos from Houzz (some more "minimalist" then others):

[houzz=
    Traditional Family Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Fair Winds · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Upper West Side Residence · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Lovely Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Urban Sophisticate in Roscoe Village · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Transitional Formal Living Room · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    10 years ago
    You could consider a deco tile with some soft colors for the wide upper band. I have some examples in my profile photos.
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I see Brenda and I are thinking alike today :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Look at the reflection in the mirror. Do you want to look at the staircase? I would put a watercolor painting above the fireplace on it's own.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love your area rug by the way -- do you remember where it was purchased?
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    @Brenda I think this is the area rug

http://www.westelm.com/products/marquis-rug-b746/?pkey=crugs-flooring&cm_src=rugs-flooring||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • PRO
    Trish Albano Interiors
    10 years ago
    For a great quick fix, I would paint the brick the same color as the mantel and leave the hearth as is. I would find a large piece of art to hang over your mantel to bring in color and add to your focal point. You can bring up the silver vases and place on mantel and add a smaller accessory to the right side of art. I would finish off by adding drapery panels on the windows. These can be a warm neutral- a color pulled out of your rug. Pick two or three colors out of the new art and add pillows and accessories in those colors to sprinkle around the room.
  • arionne1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks! Ha those items are merely up there bc I literally just moved in and was storing them there, but I think a picture may be the way to go. Appreciate the advice and examples :) the rug is west elm
  • User
    10 years ago
    @arionne1- that might have been a nice thing to state in your post. People take the time to comment, only to find out the poster didn't even have what they are showing in the photo in mind. So sad :(
  • arionne1
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @margo I simply asked for help, that did not change bc I stated that I just put things there bc I had no other place for them. In fact the ppl that did comment, I appreciated and have actually got some good ideas from. I thought this was a free space to simply ask for suggestions... I guess not.