Help needed to co-ordinate colors for exterior of my cottage and deck.

mickeymafJuly 14, 2013
I want to paint the exterior my cottage on Lake Huron , but cannot seem to pick any colors that go with my chimney stone. I need main color, trim for windows, beams, deck and deck railing. Please help. The painters are to start in two weeks. Thank you.
Cream color would be one option.
    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 4:23PM
eckjunebug
Can you post a couple more pictures so we can see the roof? Are you painting the garage also? This is a charming and very cool place! Are there neighbors nearby? Or are you pretty secluded?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 4:47PM
mickeymaf
Thank you for the compliments on the cottage. There are neighbors , but they are not close.There is a creek that runs behind and to the left of the cottage into the lake, on the left is a vacant lot. I hope the pictures I send help give you a feel for the place.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:00PM
sharpkl
Nice combinations of colors and I like the idea of pulling the trim color on the house for the garage.
Pasture Lane - The Farm at Banner Elk · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:40PM
williemokes
Love it, lucky you! I would paint the cottage and garage a sand color, lighter shade for trim.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 6:46PM
eckjunebug
I love shapkl's inspiration picture. If this were my place I would go darker on the siding and highlight the windows trim like the inspiration pics (but still a dark color.) I love the dark green/brick red combo. We have a lake place and I'm constantly tooling around the lake looking for my favorite homes... Never are they cream/tan/white... Always a darker shade of green or brown/red (not chocolate). Go dark. Paint the window trim something fun so the windows pop. Let the deck blend with the rest of the house so windows and gorgeous chimney are focal point.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 7:05PM
eckjunebug
Mid-Century Remodel · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 7:09PM
sharpkl
Eckjunebug- I agree that beige or cream is safe but then so is the current white. Hopefully someone will join in that can show examples of the colors on her house so it is easier to visualize.
This cottage can be a knockout with the proper colors.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 7:16PM
zennifer
What about a nice grey/green?
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 7:27PM
HI -- Try this color -- it goes with just about any color brick. "Ranchwood " CC -500 by Benjamin Moore Paints .
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 14, 2013 at 7:57PM
sharpkl
Bump
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 15, 2013 at 4:49PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....It looks like there is a taupe/ lite sage in the brick, BM has a great color Berkshire Beige and I would
suggest you paint everything that color, as the eggshell for the wood and the semi-gloss for the trim will look
different. The face of the eves, the deck and deck railing, I would suggest charcoal (close to your roof color).
Your cottage is wonderful, when it's painted it will be even more charming.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 15, 2013 at 5:08PM
mickeymaf
Anyone have any thoughts on a charcoal grey?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:10PM
eckjunebug
I think charcoal grey would be great.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 4:32AM
burkeoliver
Ben Moore has a great color # AC-30 winter gates which is kind of a mushroom color and I have found goes with so much. It is soft and warm and looks like it would go with the stones of your fireplace.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 4:43AM
sharpkl
There is an app called painter. I tried to use it but couldn't find right color. You might want to try. Maybe get paint combos from paint store and try on program.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 6:27AM
sharpkl
This color looks nice with white trim and grayish beige siding.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 7:05AM
mickeymaf
The reason I mention the Charcoal Grey is that Behr has one called Evening Hush 770F-6 that my daughter is crazy about. I don't see how I can make it pop. Any ideas as to the trim, beams, deck etc.Should the overhang be a white or go with the charcoal gray. Im afraid that looking from the inside out there might be a problem . The beam runs through the house and the ceilings are white.
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:17AM
delliesam
Kxkdjdie,xkkxkskxkxxxkdksvhvhggijjjhuu
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:20AM
burkeoliver
Charcoal might be a bit dark creating a heavy look. I like the idea of painting the beams, siding and window trim one color so they disappear and allow the windows to pop out instead. The winter gates color is about a value 4.5 in depth so its not heavy and it has a warmth to it . it just makes the walls and beams look more of a reclaim wood color. I would probably make the overhang 2 values lighter as it will look darker on the pane that it is. Then I would stain the deck a grey color so the whole look is soft and disappears into the woods as part of the natural setting.
It appears that there are 2 different types of stone on the fireplace, is that the case?
Also you have a medallion/ ships wheel on the left side I would love to see brought down to eye level and stain dark to pop as exterior art.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 7:53AM
sharpkl
BM River Gorge Gray
At least I finally got it to work
I was looking for the winter gates but haven't got it yet
I do like a more medium tone siding so you can leave the beams darker brown and then go darker on the deck. What do you think?
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 10:45AM
burkeoliver
typically you want to work in odd numbers , so yes, 3 colors would work, stone1 color, siding1 color and wood beams and deck 1 color being the darkest. There is also another soft warm color in the grey taupes that has been a great color as a neutral but with some depth, it a sherwin williams color called Dovetail 7018( about a 4 in value) which is just slightly lighter than the winter gates. That would also give you the layers to create architecture. It's a great home and minimizing the siding will make the windows appear even larger. Isn't color fun!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 1:35PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....what direction does your house face???
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 3:39PM
mickeymaf
The house faces east.
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:22PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi.....That's important when you think color, I like charcoal and in the right setting it is wonderful, my concern
with your cottage, it will even be darker in the afternoon the stone will be more prominent. You could do a lighter
gray but It may not compliment the stone, I still recommend the one color for everything but the fascia, the
deck and railing, and charcoal will work there.
    Bookmark   Thanked by mickeymaf    July 16, 2013 at 10:37PM
Need help with deck skirting
I am building this house and need ideas for under the...
Brian Thompson
Need help with Exterior Colors
My husband and I will be building the house in the...
kdavis495
Lake Cottage Help
Just bought this lake cottage and I'm wanting to turn...
riverbruiser
Any suggestions for exterior paint color?
I just purchased a little bungalow and need some advice...
msptc
Need help with exterior paint
Would like to try something other than white for the...
bellabell
Our new house
What to do with this beast?? All suggestions welcome!...
christinedrayer
How do I stack my artwork?
We've been collecting for about 10 years and have a...
pebshoney
Gutter color rule of thumb???
Hello there. We have a mid century stone ranch with...
pattees
Green carpet dilemma!
We currently have gold on our walls. We r planning...
Dana Ellis