Deck color and stain type....Deck Restore?
zennifer
Almost finished remaking this old deck to get a few more years out it, and making it safe for our two year old. (Old horizontal railings she loved to slide out under, and no stair railings or posts).

The main deck and posts are redwood, 30 years old. The new posts and balusters are pt lumber. (We thought it was pt lumber all over because it was so weathered!).

So now the question...what to finish it with? And what color? House is currently a light grey with dark blue grey trim, and is likely to stay this color through a new deck in the future.

We've toyed with the Rustoleum/Synkes Deck Restore. Pluses are crack filling and blemish hiding, and longevity according to reviews and tests online. Minuses are cost, inability to reuse wood when we finally rip it down in a few years, rough texture, and increased heat transfer.

A solid stain would give us some visual blemish coverage, but no crack/hole filling. Cost is less, longevity appears less. Not sure about heat transfer?

Semi transparent doesn't seem like it will work for us, as it will expose too many flaws (see stair treads for how the floor boards look).
zennifer
(Not a professional job with the banister and railings...just tring to bandaid the thing together for 3-5 years and make it reasonably safe. The structure has been evaluated and fixed)
1 Like   July 14, 2013 at 8:04PM
A you tube for you to look at; the homeowner is using solid stain. Looks like a possibility for you as it will cover different woods that are not in perfect condition.
2 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 8:15PM
zennifer
Hmm...and he said it would fill small cracks, too. :). Can you tell I'm new to deck building? We've redone most of our house DIY for two houses, but this is our first deck.

It certainly looks a LOT easier to do solid stain than the Deck Restore. Wondering about it's heat level? Cheaper and easier sounds pretty good...

Any thoughts on color?
0 Likes   July 14, 2013 at 8:21PM
zennifer
Hmmm...two tone would look nice! What colors? Added bonus would be doing everything but the balusters immediately, and coming back in a few months to do the new pt balusters. :)
1 Like   July 14, 2013 at 8:23PM
A Crew of Two
Do the damaged the darker color and the new the lighter color- you could two tones of gray or dark blue and softer off white. Would a semi transparent be enough color to mask the flaws? We have sanded old deck boards lightly to fix some of the flaws. Modern Patio Cedar Deck Refinish Flip/Flop House(S) Living Room Deck
1 Like   July 14, 2013 at 8:39PM
zennifer
Thanks for the two tone suggestions! I'd never considered it. We really like this pic...
and are considering doing something similar.

I'm also considering using solid stain on the floor to create an area rig design, very simple to go with the railing. Thoughts?
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 8:40AM
A Crew of Two
Great idea!
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 8:55AM
Help with dining room needed!
Hi everyone! I am decorating my dining area and would...
Which style backsplash looks better?
I need help choosing which backsplash design for this...
Wood floor allowance
Our allowance for hardwood floors for the 1st floor...
Modern/old kitchen
Hi My wife and I have just bought a 1920s cottage....
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...