Improving the front of House

bgarroneJuly 14, 2013
Hi all! I am wondering if anyone might have some suggetions for imporving the street appeal and front entrance of our new home? We have just put in the plantation blinds but need to do some landscaping and somehow have a nice walk to entrance. We are only going to be at the house for approx 2 years so did not want to do too much. Thanks very much!
traleeswanson
You could change the bushes in front to something full and with color, add window planters and shutters, two potted plants on each side of the drive, and some hanging plants. Hope this inspires you. Oh, and maybe install a decorative exterior lamp.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:41PM
Tammy Tate Kammerer
If I came to visit you, I'd be saying "where's the door? I would put an outdoor rectangle rug along wall (before the stairs. An outdoor sofa and chair or two. Add a side table or two, etc- make it a room to draw you in. I would put a tall potted green plant by the bare wall in front of jutted out part. What about house number angled up the side of steps. A bigger and no brass light. And a mat in front of the steps- w a punch of color. I love the blue pot- plus the blue skies you have.... Excellent accent color! Yellow flowers?
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:54PM
noiwh8
Wow. Somebody spent a lot of money on this home. The brick, tile roof and brick wall were expensive improvements. For a short stay, maybe the best approach is the Frank Lloyd Wright approach to entries. He kept them tucked away from sight, so the visitor would "discover" the entry only when they were within the arms of the home. I might add some stair lights, just to highlight the steps to the front door and confirm to the visitor that they have indeed arrived at the right door.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:56PM
Red Berm
Annuals with colorful flowers are always a plus and flowering shrubs would add color. You should talk to a landscape professional to get info on exactly what plants grow in your area.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:33AM
Sonja Riemenschneider
Large modern font house number on the brick wall by the street. Then incorporate a path from the driveway or along the driveway to the front door. The path could be integrated with the driveway so you keep the same amount of yard space and drive space, but had a strip that was a different material that worked for both a path and part of the driveway.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:51AM
Sonja Riemenschneider
Oh and I would replace the stairs with larger, wider steps that are the same material as the path.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:54AM
Anne
The wooden (?) stairs look small and out of place. Agree with posters who suggest wider, larger steps of materials that match the house or drive. House numbers, replace light fixtures with something that says WOW. Here are some stairs (obviously not the same style) but the idea of stairs that come down in two directions. Or round stairs
Russell Road whole house remodel and addition · More Info
Two Story Exterior and Porch Renovation · More Info
Hollywood Hills Residence · More Info

Pull the furniture into a conversation group. De clutter. Put plants in pots in that area.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:25AM
mmilos
Hang a row of three decorative pendant lights (could be old-barn style) under the carport along the right hand side to mark a path to the front door steps. A low gate across the back portion of the carport, stained like your garage door color, could help shield the back garage/drive from view.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:41AM
fredm51
It is a beautiful house you only need small changes. Add a few dwarf bushes to help the bushes you have. And add some annuals flowers. Your big problem is the front door which you can not see. I would add a hanging lamp in front of the stairs and extend the deck to give the feeling that this may be the way to the door.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:51AM
Need ideas to improve the front of our house
Any ideas to make the front of our house look better...
kailz01
Exterior porch update
Any & all suggestions to improve front of house...
cherylbreckenridge
Help with improving front of house visually please!
We are having some internal building work done and...
amanda1000000
any suggestions to improve the house entrance and front view
any suggestion to improve the house entrance and front...
asem1963
Need Help What to do w/ front of house-porch possibly? Fence?
House built in 1949. Did a few updates already. Enclosed...
saschman
Guest Bedroom
We recently inherited my sisters bedroom furniture...
proudmary22
headboards in front of window
When head of bed is in middle of large window - what...
tallgirll55
Tall wall above landing on stairway.
I have no idea how to decorate this wall and would...
Susan Shody
Colors advice
Pls give some colors add this pic
satishpudhari
Need help cheering up a dark kitchen
I got such good ideas on my tiny bathroom, now I present...
domesticimpostor