Need help with my dinning room
sheilamcallJuly 15, 2013
It's not a bad size 17 x12 but the huge board room table (has to stay my hubby won't part with it ) makes it look and feel so small ! We have a large family and do use this room at least twice a week , the French doors open in which doesn't help and I have considered removing them but the room directly across has the matching doors . I need help with window coverings , art and furniture (not the table ) :( I do actually love the table it's just to big to work with in this room .
Gee whiz, with a 12 x 17' room, you have plenty of space for the table. The table is NOT the problem. The problem is the short china cabinet to the right of the artwork at the end of the room and the console. With 17' of room length, I would place the console under the painting and move the table down to make room for it.

However, perhaps I should ask how LONG is that table? In photo one, it certainly appears that you could move the table further toward the doors, making room for the console to go there. Or maybe the console doesn't need to be in the room at all and the short china cabinet should stay and be moved under the art. In that case the art would need to be raised.

The addition of a rug would be nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:27PM
sheilamcall
The table is 10 feet long , I can't move it towards the door unless I remove the French doors , I only have enough room to pull out the chair .
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:34PM
It would not be difficult to change your doors to open outward. We have doors in our house that open that way, and yours can do the same thing.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:41PM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I Agree with Carolyn about the short china cabinet. I would also suggest putting it under the art, or the console, which looks to be a better length and height. If you choose to use the console consider two large buffet lamps to add additional lighting.

The art on the left of the room is on the small side. Perhaps you could group them together and put them to the left and/or right of the doors. It's difficult to tell from the photos.

Also, consider a very large area rug to ground the space and a richer fabric for the side panels. The rug needs to be large enough so that when the chairs are pulled out the chairs will still be on the rug. It could be a geometric
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 6:59PM
0825sam
Even though its a large table I think you have two many chairs. I don't care for the black chairs mixed in on the sides. I would remove those. Ideally I'd put larger upholstered chairs (like wingback) at the heads of the table.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:03PM
0825sam
Sorry for the typos
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:04PM
French doors can also be mounted to slide on one of the fashionable barn-style tracks either inside the dining room or outside. Try a floating credenza instead of the two pieces of furniture you now have. It won't take up floor space and the room will look larger without so many legs on the floor. I'd consider slipcovering all the dining chairs to match, and perhaps to add some color. The little square items under the ductwork (I assume) on the left are too small and hung too high.
Entry
Lake Road Dining Room
Hudson Parson's Slipcovered Side Chair With Slipcover
Paprika Birds Short Anna Slipcover Chair Collection
1 Like    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:09PM
need help for my dinning room and living room, same room
Dark Colored Red Walls with 1/2 wall full of windows....
Catherine Hebert
Need help with my dinning room walls decoration
Hi! I would like to put a mirror on the big wall facing...
daisy4321
Need Help with my Dinning Room Art Size
Need ideas to help me decide as to Art work for over...
cgsanchez
Need help with my dinning room
Can you tell me what color you suggest for a dinning...
rockstar6
Need help with my dinning room! Serious wallpaper issues!
So I have this vision of a "wintery/icey/metallicky...
Shajira Nazir
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
Kitchen
Does this company deliver to Northern Ireland in the...
mariesalesac2
Curtains and roman shades for gold bedroom
I wish to place full beige/gold curtains at each window...
kslouca home owner
Desperately needing curb appeal help!
This is the front of our house. Lots of flagstone...
kwesselman
paint dilemma in my living room and small open kitchen
thats my living room plus open kitchen,veery small.Please...
gracael