Should it stay or should it go?
Lin Doyle
July 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought a partially (and done cheaply) renovated barn 17 years ago. It was painted all red (no trim accents) so repainting was job #837 but it had (and we kept) a rather ornate iron railing that surrounds a 1' deep "balcony" in front of the second floor doors. I hate it. I think it's too, well, ornate for a former barn. It can't be stepped on-would probably fall. Not sure how this even passed inspection but we nailed boards on the interior so no one could step out if they wanted to. I have asked so many people over the 117 years and it's pretty much a draw-half say keep, half say remove. House will be repainted next summer and if it were removed, it would be done then. I know it's hard to see from photo especially since we painted it the same color as doors but it's very evident in real time and the ironwork has scrolls. take off or keep on? THANKS@
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
houssaon
Would you like the balcony if it were a different style? This cut out railing would look nice, if you wanted to build and a new balcony could also serve as a portico to the front door: Zietlin. A design with braces would work: House on Belle Island.
July 16, 2013 at 12:42am        Thanked by Lin Doyle
PRO
LB Interiors
Very nice renovation! It's very charming, warm and inviting! I would keep unless you want it to be evident that the original structure was a barn. I think I would paint the railing white to be a focal point to the entry.
July 16, 2013 at 1:32am        Thanked by Lin Doyle
PRO
LB Interiors
I would also paint or replace the two porch lights white.
July 16, 2013 at 1:33am   
PRO
LB Interiors
How about accenting the garage raised panel trim, white, to extend the width of both structures.
July 16, 2013 at 1:35am      Thanked by Lin Doyle
Sharon
If you removed the railing, wouldn't it look like two doors that open out onto nothing?
July 16, 2013 at 6:54am     
Lin Doyle
It would look like a barn so yes. I really like the idea of something wood and similar to the second photo (House on Belle Island) that houssaon posted.
July 28, 2013 at 2:20pm     
Lin Doyle
@LBInteriors-I got kidnapped and never got to reply or thank you for your suggestions. You mentioned accenting the garage and the photo I posted didn't show it all. This is not face on but there is accenting on the dormer on the 2 garage bays. The one closest to the house is faux. It's a room behind it (not my design, believe me!) but a project for another year.
July 28, 2013 at 3:43pm   
janiejoann
Oh brother. It needs to go. I love the house. I would extend the portico.
July 28, 2013 at 3:48pm        Thanked by Lin Doyle
Lin Doyle
LOL-Like the direct response. I'm thinking it's easier to just remove it!
July 28, 2013 at 3:54pm   
nasmijati
Another vote for removing the iron railing and extending the portico.
July 28, 2013 at 4:12pm   
bluenan
If you really hate the railing like it seems, play up the fact that it was originally a barn and take it off and install a bale pulley painted white, for authenticity.
July 28, 2013 at 4:13pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Lin, I think you didn't quite relate to what I suggested to accent on the garage. I meant all the architectural raised features that are below the roof line. I thought those painted white for detail and continuity would look very cohesive with all your other white trim.
July 28, 2013 at 4:17pm