Help with new wall color
bamamom
I need some help picking a new wall color for my kitchen/dining room.
The new color will replace a BM gold/orange color that has been up for almost 13 years!!! The kitchen has dining room on one side, same color, and the family room on the other...currently BM Carolina Gull. I will more than likely take the color down the hall toward bedrooms as well, which is the otherside of family room.
I wanted a true tan/beige that complements the Carolina Gull in family room and the existing tile/backsplash/countertop of the kitchen.
I've narrowed it down to Manchester Tan (I think may have a little to much green undertone), Natural Linen (may be a little to grey but my 1st choice right now) and Wheeling Neutral (also maybe to greenish). The paint will be next to the travertine tile on each end of the sink wall (pic attached). The tile is Noce' that has been sealed so it has a bit of a warmer undertone now.
The picture of the tile/countertop was taken the day it was installed 4 years so everything is pretty bright...the grout is Tumbleweed (light chocolate milk color).
Thanks for your help.

PS I have tried Shaker Beige and Grant Beige but they just appear to be to similar to existing wall color.

PSS The pic with the buffet and lamps is the dining room showing the same color as in the kitchen but with natural lighting. Thanks again
There is an app for that!
   July 16, 2013 at 7:42AM
bamamom
Forgot to mention, the paint strip right next to the backsplash is the Manchester Tan. Please excuse view of laundryroom/pantry! :-)
   July 16, 2013 at 7:43AM
bamamom
Margo....name of app please. Would love to play with color myself in virtual world vs buying all these little jars of paint samples. Thanks
   July 16, 2013 at 9:22AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's an attempt to eye-match BM Natural Linen --

Sherwin-Williams SW 2805 Renwick Beige.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:34AM
Ed
Hi bamamon, attempt to eye-match BM Wheeling Neutral --

SW 6143 Basket Beige.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:38AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, you can try Sherwim-Williams's Visualizer --
https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

BM also should have a similar software, their Color Viewer, at their website.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:41AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2836 Quartersawn Oak.
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 10:48AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6083 Sable.
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 10:50AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2838 Polished Mahogany.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:51AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2802 Rookwood Red.
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2801 Rookwood Dark Red.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6804 Dignity Blue.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:57AM
bamamom
Thank you Ed. I think it must be my computer the Renwick is looking baby blue and the Basket is lime green. ha. Having the swatches side by side as you have done helps to see the green undertone of the Wheeling Neutral and the more subtle grey of the Natural Linen. I've played with the SW site a little. Have not been able to get the BM visualizer to work Will try again when I get home this evening.
Thank you for taking the time to do these!
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 10:57AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6762 Poseidon.
   July 16, 2013 at 10:58AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, you're very welcome. Yes, each display will show a slightly different result, unless the display is professionally calibrated. :)
   July 16, 2013 at 10:59AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6489 Really Teal.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:01AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2839 Roycroft Copper Red.
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 11:03AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6884 Obsinate Orange.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:05AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6881 Cayenne.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:07AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2823 Rookwood Clay.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:09AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6272 Plum Brown.
2 Likes   July 16, 2013 at 11:11AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 6515 Leisure Blue.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:13AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2811 Rookwood Blue Green.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:15AM
Ed
Hi bamamom, here's SW 2810 Rookwood Sash Green.
   July 16, 2013 at 11:20AM
jamiealynn
Ed - how do you get the sample colors integrated into the pictures like that? I noticed you did it for some front doors in a different discussion. I have a front door I want to paint red and a whole house that I will need to make color decisions on and think this would be really helpful.

Bamamom - sorry to sneek into your discussion, I just couldn't figure out how else to ask "Ed".

Thanks
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 5:10PM
bamamom
jamiealynn, not a problem. It's pretty amazing. I've tried the Sherwin Williams Color tool and the Ben Moore color visualizer, but they never seem to work correctly for me, not like Ed's presentations for sure! The Ben Moore site either tells me my phone photo has poor resolution or that the photos with my camera have to many MG's or something. I'll keep trying to figure it out or maybe get the photoshop program so many people talk about. Could be cheaper than the little pint size sample cans I keep buying. Of course, I was told today at the Ben store to bring in the ones that are the closest to what I;m wanting and we will mix them all together and then start tweaking to get the exact look I'm wanting. This should be so much more simple.
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 8:37PM
victorianbungalowranch
Photoshop is not cheap, nor that easy to use! There are cheaper and easier programs out there, but most involve making masks (sort of like a stencil) and loading channels and painting on transparent color in washes. Sherwin Williams works on similar principle, but can be a bit tricky for anything complicated, and can only do a limited number of pieces. So, maybe not worth the trouble for a Queen Anne, but pretty good for a room with the clutter removed (not fun to try to paint around plants and too many pictures and such).

I also don't like the drawing tools in Photoshop. If I could find something like Microsoft Picture It! (no longer offered) with the color control and eyedropper tool of Photoshop, then that would be ideal. I used to like Freehand, but then Adobe bought it years ago, so bye-bye my favorite software. Any suggestions for a low-cost photo editor with masking capability and vector graphics tools?

Actually, custom mixing from the samples you have may not be such a bad idea. Once you get the exact color you want, they can match it no problem.

The existing color may be throwing you off, or what you want is awfully close. Paint on a big piece of posterboard and move it around and see what it looks like next to different surfaces and in different light. That will tell you what works where.
   Thanked by bamamom    July 16, 2013 at 9:10PM
bamamom
Thanks victorianbungalowranch....I know what you mean about "painting" around things in your photos on the sites. Agh!
Right now I've sample swatches painted on all four walls in the kitchen...actually dug out Hush that I had planned to use in the family room but it did not work in there with my furniture....it could be a winner. Will see in the morning and again tomorrow afternoon how it looks against the travertine.
   July 16, 2013 at 9:17PM
Ed
Hi Jamiealynn, bamamom, you need to work with the software, study it, understand how it works, its strengths and weaknesses. Trial and error. Rinse and repeat. :)

Jamielynn, if you have a nice photo or two of your front door, please start a new thread. Let's play with it! :) If you do start a new thread, please post its web link here. :) Like this one --
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/559137/Front-door-color#1235621
   July 16, 2013 at 10:05PM
jamiealynn
Thanks Ed. I will be at the house tomorrow and will take a pic and start the new thread and then post it here so you know about.
   July 17, 2013 at 9:38AM
bamamom
jamiealynn...Looking forward to what your area will look like. Good luck!
   July 17, 2013 at 12:06PM
jamiealynn
Bamamom - have you decided on any colors yet? I like Plum Brown and am now considering that for my bedroom!

link to my discussion question for those of you who want to weigh in!
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/564963/_msg=Q2hhbmdlcyBzdG9yZWQgc3VjY2Vzc2Z1bGx5Lg/Color-help---front-door-and-house-exterior
   July 18, 2013 at 10:52AM
bamamom
jamiealynn I put all four colors in various parts of the kitchen last night. all of them together in same section so I could view during the evening, this morning and again this afternoon with the western sunlight pouring through the back windows. As of right now, I'm leaning back towards the Manchester Tan or the Natural Linen (picked up a sample pint of that yesterday at lunch). I thought the Hush would work but this morning it kind of had a peachy/pink undertone with the lighting. Plus it is showing up darker on the walls than the other two. I KNOW Shaker Beige is OUT! So from 4 down to 3. Daughter in law coming over this evening, has an AWESOME eye for decor, styling and color combos, will see what she thinks. My travertine backsplash is throwing me off with these colors I like. We shall see what happens.
I will check out your front door thread.
PS I love dark browns too....have in one guest room and the guest bath. LOVE! But to dark for the kitchen, dining room and hallway.
   July 18, 2013 at 2:48PM
Help with new 2 tone wall colors and new chairs.
Want to keep the higher chair rails. Can't decide on...
HELP! small kitchen needs new wall color and just help in general.
Hi everyone, We have a large southern home, but this...
"So-so" cabinet color. Help with new wall color?
Getting light quartz counters and light beige subway...
Need help to choose the color of my new kitchen walls
Hi, I just bought a house and my kitchen need to be...
Need help with wall and trim color for new home
After 30 plus years of linen white in 2 houses, we...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
Experienced dog owners,please help !
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Need help with my living room
I am trying to redecorate my living room and buy a...