Need help with furniture placement in family room
meljrose
We just moved and are trying to get the best layout for our new family room. I originally thought of putting the TV over the fireplace (it's a working fireplace), but my husband said 'absolutely no!' so we ended up with this configuration. I feel like the sectional sofa cuts off half of the room, and I wish we could put the u-shaped sofa in the inlet area of the room, and the TV beside the fireplace infront of the bookcase- but that would be tight for the TV, and we'd have to get new connections there (no big deal). I need ideas on how to arrange the sofa and TV in this room because I am not sure this is the best set up. Ideas? What would you do? Picture shows what it looks like coming down into the room, and each side of the room view.
meljrose
Also, I will be painting the walls a light terracotta and eventually the carpet will be replaced as well...we just haven't decorated yet since we haven't painted and are still getting furniture for the house. Help!
   July 16, 2013 at 7:13PM
shortped
Absolutely turn the sofa around! How can you enjoy the fireplace?! Why not expand on bookcase and build in the whole wall with TV in it or put TV above fireplace with one of those trick mirrors etc that cover it when you just want to see the fire?
2 Likes   Thanked by meljrose    July 16, 2013 at 7:33PM
luducklu
SHORTPED! that's the exact same thing that I was going to suggest! Get out Your sliders and move it all about! Lol
   Thanked by meljrose    July 16, 2013 at 7:36PM
meljrose
I really want to turn the sofa around, for exactly that reason! However, I can't put the TV above the fireplace, I would have to put it infront of the built in bookcases beside the fireplace. Would that look silly?
   July 16, 2013 at 7:37PM
shortped
May be ok if take out shelf and put it INTO the shelving.
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 8:20PM
abbyjean
It makes me sad to see the fireplace forgotten in this room. You are soooo lucky to have one and one that works even. It HAS to be included in your arrangement! Will it work to move the ladder on the hearth and find a way to put the tv on that hearth area and turn the sectional around? I know if the tv just rests on the hearth, it might look funny as the tv and the fireplace opening would match too much. What could you raise the tv up on.....just a little, so it is not too high to comfortably view. Then it is not raised over the fireplace, either. Looks like an outlet right about it on the wall even????
1 Like   July 16, 2013 at 8:29PM
meljrose
I don't think the hearth is wide enough to hold a TV where it could sit on the right hand side on the brick. The TV is too wide to for there. I really just want to put it over the fireplace but husband is totally against it and won't budge. It would fit perfectly there. I like the idea of building a bookcase shelf for it, or taking out some shelves to put it in the bookcase. I think it's wider than those shelves though...
   July 16, 2013 at 8:39PM
abbyjean
How about putting the whole unit that is with the tv now right where the toys are in front of the shelves? Have it angled toward the room and flip the couch still. I know it will cover PART of the shelves this way, but can we see what it would look like?
1 Like   Thanked by meljrose    July 16, 2013 at 8:44PM
Tammy Tate Kammerer
Where the horse and rocker is..... Get a wooden nice tv stand and angle it just like the toys are and put your tv on it and turn the couch- leave space behind the couch to put away the toys when done playing or to make a play area behind it.
   Thanked by meljrose    July 16, 2013 at 8:45PM
abbyjean
GREAT minds, Tammy! We are following each other around tonight and I love your thinking!!!!
2 Likes   Thanked by meljrose    July 16, 2013 at 8:52PM
meljrose
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, this weekend I'll move things around and see what it looks like! I'll post pics of the new room!
1 Like   July 17, 2013 at 5:56PM
Need Help with Furniture Placement in Family Room
I have used 4 "self-proclaimed" (in my opinion) interior...
Need help with Family Room furniture ideas/placement
If all things go as planned, we'll have closed on our...
My family room is 28 ft. long and 15 ft. wide. The...
Need help with furniture placement in new family room
Would like some advice on where to place tv in a corner,...
I don't know if this looks good. There's a big fireplace,...
Rules for selecting bathroom faucets?
My wife is out of town so I'm updating our master bathroom...
Should I or Should'nt I do it?
I have hardwood flooring in the majority of the first...
2 Rooms Flat
dilemma on how to design my new house which consists...
Horrid bathroom - need help!
We have a weird T-shaped bathroom and want suggestions...
Living/family room rug dilemma
I am tying to decide what rug to choose for my family/living...