Need help choosing living room window treatments...

rafigsJuly 16, 2013
have an open floor plan and I feel the kitchen may have to have similar look..have a lot of windows in our new home and no window treatments so I would like to try and find something reasonably priced
I believe that one of the best values in window coverings is the 2" wood or faux wood blinds. They offer privacy and sun control by tilting the blind, at an excellent price. You don't have to lower or raise them to achieve privacy or sun control.

Shades, on the other hand, have to be pulled up or let down for privacy and sun control. I very much like grass or bamboo shades, but children and animals can easily damage them.

I would not place anything on your upper windows unless they are causing a sun or privacy problem.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:16PM
rafigs
Thank you Carolyn....yes i wasnt planning on putting drapes on the top windows....I kind of wanted to add some a type of statement with the draperies
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:31PM
They didn't leave you enough room for a pair of draperies on each of the windows flanking the fireplace. You could place a panel to the left of the left window and to the right of the right window with a rod that dies into the FP and with a finial on each end. I'd start the draperies about 4" below the upper window.

I considered suggesting a pair of panels on each window, covering part of the window which I don't like to do. And I rationalized that the upper windows let in plenty of light. But then I thought about the fact that the upper windows would be exposed, showing how close to the fireplace the window actually is and thereby making the lower draperies look odd to have covered more of the window on one side than the other. So I abondoned that idea, but I wanted you to know why.

I did not suggest draperies originally because you said you wanted something at a reasonable cost and custom draperies tend to be expensive, particularly long ones.
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:44PM
Tammy Tate Kammerer
I just saw today at lowes that they have shutters for those curve windows! I would do blinds for the top windows (if u need them) Go to ikea and get their long length drapes (and rods are cheap!) and do the same height as your dining room window drapes- which I would do above the window (anywhere from 1/4 way up to near the ceiling (in that space)
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:53PM
There is not much space for draperies in the breakfast area and it seems to me that shades would be a more practical treatment there, particularly if you have young children.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:05PM
rafigs
Thank you for pointing that out Carolyn I didn't even notice how close the windows were placed next to the FP...kinda bothersome so you feel if I went with the 1 panel on each side opposite the FP it would look weird..what would u suggest for the kitchen the same type of treatments? I don't mind spending a bit more in curtains in these 2 rooms since they are the main living areas...do u think a west elm, crate and barrell or pottery barn would have the right type of curtains? My sister in law actually manages a few West Elm stores so I can get a decent discount there
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:10PM
rafigs
Sorry just saw the comment about the kitchen area...what should I do to dress it up a bit then it needs some personality..and yes I have 1 baby she's 6 mos our first so yes In time I'm sure she will find a way to ruin things!
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:13PM
rafigs
Better photos of the kitchen book area and all the windows...what color shades wood or other would you recommend?
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:16PM
I would do the single panel on the far side of each of the windows flanking the FP. Check height from below top window to floor and see what West Elm has that is close. Let each panel hang straight down, not tied back.

Then I would use roman shades or wood blinds in the breakfast area. The two don't have to match even though they are close together. Adding personality to the breakfast area can be done with artwork if there is wall space. Otherwise, you can show us pix of the kitchen and maybe we'll find a way to enliven the area.
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:18PM
I just saw the new pix you added above while I was typing away. I'd use wood blinds to match the wood trim, unless you're considering painting it white, in which case, I'd use white wood blinds. I don't see any art walls, and I would not add valances to the windows. Be happy you have a beautiful new home. Add color in the family room and enjoy good times together around the breakfast table.
    Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:22PM
If you have an accent color that you will be using in accessories in the family room, you could consider painting the whole bay area around the breakfast table with that accent color. I would not paint the breakfast room without also using the same color for pillows or artwork or a rug in the fam. rm.
    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 6:02AM
JMittman Designs
I wish builders had to consult window treatment people before they put in the windows flanking your fireplace. grrrr.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:02AM
I had a house with windows on either side of the fireplace and I used shutters on both of the windows. Loved the look and the privacy they offered at night.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by rafigs    July 17, 2013 at 6:57PM
rafigs
Thank you so much for your feedback...now my hunt begins online for the right choice of shades!
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 12:25PM
Fenstermann LLC
You can have a look at our custom shades made in Germany here: www.plissee.ca
With the great advice you have received, I am excited to see how it can turn out!
Best of Luck!
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 12:39PM
Scottish Stained Glass
Those are some beautiful big windows! Have you ever considered stained glass? You will maintain natural light as well as adding privacy. For more pictures please visit www.scottishstainedglass.com
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 4:45PM
hbmiller
I would do really full panels,3X width of window, on the far right and far left with an oil rubbed bronze rod. Restoration hardware has beautiful linen drapes or have them made. Do them very full and you can pull them at night to cover the windows. Use the same fabric for shades in the kitchen. Does the dark table and chairs stay in the kitchen?
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 5:14PM
Need help with the window treatment in my small living room
I bought some multicolor stripe fabric from a discount...
petgrave
Please help me choose window treatments for my living room
Hi All, I'm building a house on the river, nautical...
mksmith1
need help with window treatments for living room
there are 4 windows with a transom plus the door all...
mythingis
need help with choosing rug for living room
please help...living room have light grey wall and...
malaloi
Need help choosing window treatments for our great room/french doors
We just moved into our new house and we have these...
Chrissy Turnquist
U-channel or camps for my bathroom!
My house is under renovation. And recently finished...
Jiyeaon Chang
I need advice for my living room
I have a set of maroon antique couchs with claw feet...
Wendy Ratto
I need help with my dining room
What can I do with this space
Kenisha Cross
UP IN THE AIR FRONT DOOR!
"UP IN THE AIR" Please help with our second...
teresatrax
design disaster...House
So confused ... wall paint ... furniture ...? I just...
shielawebster