Help with entry
Eleonora Primilsky
Hey. I need help trying to figure out what to out above this sofa table in the entry way. I'm going for a modern contemporary feel. Any suggestions are very appreciated! :)
the essentials inside
Hi Eleonora Primilsky! I have some questions for you:

Can you upload a few more pictures of your home so that we can see the style of any adjoining rooms?

Are you thinking a mirror or art? How wide is the table? Is there room to move it down away from the window?

Are you in the U.S.? Can you change the blinds on your window?

Sorry for all the questions -but it will help with suggestions.

Lyvonne
July 16, 2013 at 8:32pm     
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Agree, the more information you supply the better your responses will be. Also if you provide an approximate budget then suggestions can be geared to that amount.
July 16, 2013 at 8:37pm     
Ana F
How dramatic are you willing to make this space? I LOVE full length mirrors behind entryway tables (see picture attached). If you are not willing to go that route, take a look at the other two suggestions. The table seems very wide, so about three individual mirrored panels might be a good solution. The large scale round mirror also, but keep it simple with clean lines, not as rustic as the one in the picture. Add a pile of coffee table books to the table, a nice large pot with two to three planted orchids and maybe a lamp or large candle cluster. Best of luck!
July 16, 2013 at 8:39pm     
Tres McKinney Design
A large scaled painting or framed poster or print over the console and a pair of tall contemporary lamps would look great as a start.
Then you can add a tray or large bowl in the center. A low vase with flowers would be inviting. A mirror could work instead of a painting but because the table is so close to the window I think a colorful painting would be more striking. Consider painting the one wall behind the console a deep color.
July 16, 2013 at 8:55pm     
Eleonora Primilsky
This is the kitchen dining room area. I have a black and grey sectional In the living room and its an open floor plan. And then i have an upstairs. Does this help any?
July 17, 2013 at 9:06am     
Eleonora Primilsky
The area is pretty narrow and there is a staircase on the left side of the table, therefore I don't have much room to work with. I was thinking a morrow, but not sure what shape, round or square and what color? What kind and color blinds would you suggest? And I have a budget of maybe $200 for the mirror, and then I was thinking maybe lamps or candles or vase that you guys suggested.
July 17, 2013 at 9:25am   
Eleonora Primilsky
Dimensions of the table are 32 inch high *54.1 wide * 16 deep
July 17, 2013 at 10:09am   
chemayne
July 17, 2013 at 11:16am   
For a contemporary look - add art. Check out art.com canvases because they don't need to be framed and you can get one in a large scale. You can put a small contemporary mirror in a square shape from ikea across the hall. Your house needs art - look at the modern or abstract art first and why not select something with neutrals and your accent colors.
July 17, 2013 at 11:28am   
the essentials inside
The other pictures do help! Love your kitchen. Could I bother you for one more pic - a wider/further away view of the entry?

I'm on mobile now but will be back later. Thanks Eleonora!

Lyvonne
July 17, 2013 at 11:31am   
suekat12
I'd go with a silver contemporary rectangular mirror hung vertically. Also, if you can move the credenza down on the wall away from the window, I think it would look better, if that can be done.
July 17, 2013 at 12:57pm   
Eleonora Primilsky
Thanks!!! I could try another picture but the hall is narrow so may be hard let me try tho :) thanks for your help!!!
July 17, 2013 at 2:17pm     
Eleonora Primilsky
Suekat, if I move it down I'm afraid it will block the staircase the space is soo narrow. But the mirror idea I like. I love mirrors!
July 17, 2013 at 2:19pm   
somethingpointless
You need 4 elements: A nice work of art (or multiple pieces for the wall), a tall modern vase that has atleast one color from the artwork, a small lamp and a tray with interesting objects in it (books, shells, orbs, your keys)
July 17, 2013 at 2:22pm     
weathervanes
How about placing a clock on that wall area.
July 17, 2013 at 2:37pm     
andyparodi
I love these three styles
July 17, 2013 at 2:58pm     
leelee
How does the door open? Is the table going to be behind the door when it is opened?

Can you center the table by pushing it left? It looks like it's too close to the window.
July 17, 2013 at 3:25pm   
Eleonora Primilsky
Better pic?
July 17, 2013 at 3:50pm     
Eleonora Primilsky
Ok, here's a much better look at the area around the table to show how much room I'm really working with :)
July 17, 2013 at 5:31pm   
Lori Raymond
Replace the mini blinds with curtain or frost the glass...Paint the door - the table is a bit too large for the space given it's proximity to the stairs....needs some natural elements to give it texture (basket/rug/items on tabletop).
July 17, 2013 at 5:44pm     
LB Interiors
I would use a large mirror above the table and large art (maybe 2-3 pieces for the opposite wall) The art can be as low as 2 ft from the floor and 48-58" high.. Dramatic and fills the wall space.
July 17, 2013 at 5:54pm     
inkwitch
Afraid that table is too long for that area. Something smaller, maybe a demilune would be more in balance. That table might look better elsewhere. Your entrance is a tiny space so very little is required to make it feel crowded.

Were it mine (so this means nothing, but a suggestion), I would have a tall framed mirror leaning against the wall, set on the floor, a small "drink table" type table with something artistic on it, something unique, and a plant in the window. A tall topiary in an interesting pot.

Definitely replace blinds with almost anything else. What does the light fixture look? Here is a place for a snazzy chandy that reflects off the mirror. Then a rich rug for anchoring.
July 17, 2013 at 6:23pm   
inkwitch

How's this for a drink table?
July 17, 2013 at 6:24pm     
Kate
Love the table but I agree with the others, it is a little long for the space. It would look great in your dining area under the art work!
July 17, 2013 at 6:27pm     
inkwitch
July 17, 2013 at 6:28pm   
inkwitch

This may be a bit glitzy, but you get the idea.
July 17, 2013 at 6:29pm     
inkwitch

And even glitzier!
July 17, 2013 at 6:34pm     
Connie Bundy
My 2 cents --- since there is a staircase at the left end, I would do an asymmetrical design, putting either a mirror or your favorite art centered over the table, then a tall lamp at the end by the window. I like the idea of a tray or shallow bowl of some sort by the stairs. I'd one or two colorful things to put on the shelf under the glass, and leave the rest of the top bare so they show through. Good luck on the project!
July 17, 2013 at 6:39pm     
LB Interiors
I agree with those that said the table is a bit long. could use a shorter one.
July 17, 2013 at 6:45pm     
Eleonora Primilsky
Thank you everyone this is soo helpful and much much appreciated! I ordered the table and then realized it was too big and I believe that's why it wasn't really sitting right with me. I will try some of those ideas and I'd they don't seem to work I may move it else where :)
July 17, 2013 at 6:49pm     
LB Interiors
Maybe you can you use the table behind a sofa or in another room. Maybe use it as a desk behind a sofa or just as a desk.
July 17, 2013 at 7:02pm   
JoAnna Greene
I would take your photos (family, trips, inspirational) and frame them all in the same color frame... black is contemporary, dark wood is warm, (different sizes are welcome) just make sure you hang them with the same space between each of them and contain them within the width of the table...this is a way to personalize and welcome to your space.
July 17, 2013 at 7:04pm     
I'm agreement with the consensus that the table it too long. Also, consider one with rounded edges so that you don't bang into the corners as you go up the stairs.
July 17, 2013 at 7:28pm     
Eleonora Primilsky
Does this look better?
July 17, 2013 at 7:38pm     
abbyjean
I love it right there! PERFECT!!! Even the silver knobs tie it in!
July 17, 2013 at 8:08pm     
LB Interiors
It's great there, I agree!
July 17, 2013 at 11:19pm     
sophiec32
This is great if it goes with the style of the house also I would reccomend painting it if you would like it to look brand new
July 18, 2013 at 5:20am   
Eleonora Primilsky
Oh it is brand new I think the light and the picture makes it look weird
July 18, 2013 at 5:37am   
the essentials inside
Oh yes, much better in that room! Of course, now we've increased your shopping needs. :)

Do you want another smaller table by the door or do you want to try a large mirror or piece of art in the entry?

Lyvonne
July 18, 2013 at 6:55am   
Infinity Wall Art
If you don't wish to add anything too bulky, it may make the space seem more closed off - why not try a wall decal? They are easy to attach and liven up a small space like the one you have.

I personally think the design where the flowers are blowing away in the wind would look great as it would make it feel like wind from your main door is causing the wall decal's design to flutter away!
Take these two designs for example: http://www.infinitywallart.com/flower-wall-stickers/flying-flower-petals-wall-stickers-pd017.html http://www.infinitywallart.com/flower-wall-stickers/stylish-hummingbird-flower-wall-stickers-pd151.html
July 18, 2013 at 7:02am   
LB Interiors
Now that the console table is in the dining room, I would get a large mirror or a large artwork for the wall above it. I like the art you have there, but it's too small for the wall.

You could still use the art that you have there, It's too high, bring it down so that the center of the art is 60" from the floor. Add two wall candle sconces, one on each side or .. painting on the left and and sconces on the right (one higher than the other).
July 18, 2013 at 11:48am     
the essentials inside
can you post some pictures?
January 22, 2014 at 4:14pm   
Is there any help for this entry way. Need HELP
I really need help in trying to figure this area and...
Help!! My entry way needs help!!
We just bought this house and the entry way needs your...
Need help decorating entry area.
Any suggestions on how to decorate this entry area?...
POLL: Pool or Hot Tub?
Some people have both. Some have just one or the other....
Can a rug be placed over carpet?
Our master bedroom is carpeted. Can I put a rug over...
Looking for a kitchen rug
We have a 4.5 foot square kitchen table. What size...
Need Help Designing our Main room in New Apartment in Zurich!
The Main room of our apartment needs help! Right now...
Lighting design
I'm building a new house and need to decide on my lighting....