need help decorating this house
tikihouse
This is our my living room space/home theater area. We just bought the house and will probably put new furniture little by little over the year. Right now the only things we have is a futon and the projector.
I want the family room to look a little more fun and comfortable and very stylish with a Japanese zen garden ideas.
1. What color should I use?
Should I try something else?
I need ideas for all the home. thanks.

btw the home have a lot of wood,stone and brick.
eckjunebug
This is an amazing space. What's your budget?
July 17, 2013 at 5:45AM   
A Crew of Two
What a great space. There is a lot of wood going on in the room. I would start by getting a large area rug in a neutral color. I would also do a whitewash on the ceiling to soften it and make the room brighter. I would also paint the closet doors a soft, warm gray.Pashmina Wool Area Rug Hemp Rug Farm House Coastal Fog AC-1 by Benjamin Moore reading room Fougeron Architecture
July 17, 2013 at 5:46AM        Thanked by tikihouse
tikihouse
Right now my budget is limited, will probably put new new things little by little over the year based in the ideas I got from houzz!
July 17, 2013 at 8:40PM   
apple_pie_order
Magnificent space. In this case, I think a designer would be a good investment when you are ready. In the meantime, try neutrals in the wood and stone palette it already has. Give the space a year before making major changes, if any. The floor may even up in tone after a year without carpet over part of it.

It will need some fabrics to help with acoustics. Curtains, upholstered furniture. Rice paper shoji screens.
July 17, 2013 at 9:48PM      Thanked by tikihouse
eckjunebug
I agree with apple_pie... I'd consult a designer when ready. In the meantime I would remove the vertical blinds and can lights. Clean the fireplace stone and get a new fireplace enclosure. I would probably go for a large neutral area rug, shaggy for texture and theme... I'd consider painting the paneled wall, to break up the wood, which all seem to be slightly different tones. Would be great if you could somehow remove that planter too.
July 18, 2013 at 5:32AM      Thanked by tikihouse
Blinds.com
Agreed! The vertical blinds have to go. If you'd like some coverage for the windows to block glare and UV damage on all that wood, solar shades might be a good option.

They're sleek and unassuming:
July 18, 2013 at 11:30AM      Thanked by tikihouse
Ed
Hi Blinds.com, what are the pros and cons of solar shades versus honeycomb cellular shades ?
August 1, 2013 at 5:55PM   
pgan1
Love the space. Unless privacy is an issue I'd leave windows wide open for the light and to give it that open air feel. Personally I love the natural feel of the wood. You can lighten mood of room with the natural light, accents and furnishings
August 1, 2013 at 8:28PM   
amdg1966
For a quick fix whitewash the wood wall, possibly the ceiling too, as someone else suggested. Might even try a wash with a hint of umber in it.
August 2, 2013 at 2:14AM   
amdg1966
I'd also get a higher, much larger mantle for the fireplace-a rough cut wooden one and tear out the existing glass and metal frame. A wrought iron screen with a rustic look- no shiny brass.
August 2, 2013 at 2:24AM   
Blinds.com
@Ed, Solar shades block UV rays and keep your home cooler while still allowing you to keep your view. However, they don't give nighttime privacy. We recommend them for warm climates.

Cellular honeycomb shades give windows year round insulation from cold AND heat. You'll see a big difference in your energy bill. They offer complete privacy day and night, and are available in light filtering or blackout fabrics.
August 2, 2013 at 6:42AM     
Ed
Hi Blinds.com, thank you -- I'm now shopping for stringless honeycome cellular shades, there are many brands and models out there ( even just at Lowes and Home Depot ) -- what are the differences ? Are the particular brands and models that are better than others ?
August 2, 2013 at 8:31AM   
Blinds.com
Great question Ed. Essentially all custom cordless honeycomb shades are the same (we would recommend custom over cut-down, which is what you find at most home and garden stores). The only difference is that some brands have different limitations for maximum and minimum sizes. One standout is Levolor. They place their cords closer to the edge of the shade so that they're not as noticeable when light shines through.
Levolor Accordia 9/16" Designer Single Cell from Blinds.com

But if aesthetics aren't your main focus, or if you choose a room darkening fabric, we'd recommend the Blinds.com Brand shades to get the best bang for your buck.
Blinds.com 3/8" Double Cell Blackout Shades
August 2, 2013 at 9:56AM     
CellularWindowShades.com
There is a big difference in fabric quality options so I'd get samples of the fabrics that you'd like to get! Most websites will offer fabric samples for free!
August 2, 2013 at 11:40AM     
anderea
I'd add nice curtains with some color to bring out the fireplace for the windows and I'd add a similar rug to make everything pop!
August 2, 2013 at 11:46AM   
Marilyn Wilkie
When I look at your home the term "California Modern" comes to mind. What is the era of it? That looks like a real parquet floor and perhaps someone had an area rug on it for years since the color seems different around the edges. Or is that just the photograph. Good choices in lighting will go along way toward brightening the space up. The other thing that I see is a beautiful stone patio beyond the windows. How fortunate you are to have that and that gorgeous massive stone fireplace. One of the first things you must do however is have the chimney cleaned and checked before building a fire. Safety first!
August 2, 2013 at 11:53AM   
Ed
Hi Blinds.com, thanks very much -- the quality, the function, and aesthetics are all important. :) I think Lowes and HD both carry Levolor ? What does "cut-down" mean ? Does it mean Lowes and Home Depot would carry only "cut-down" and not custom ? Thank you! :)
August 2, 2013 at 11:54AM   
Blinds.com
Cut down is where blinds and shades are stocked in large sizes and then cut with a saw in the store to your window size. This can leave you with unfinished edges and, unless your measurements are perfect, you may have some gaps on the sides of your window. We only carry custom because they give more complete window coverage and you don't have to worry about nicks or fraying from cutting.
August 2, 2013 at 12:33PM   
Lost with this living room!
Love this room but at a loss as to how to furnish it....
Color choice for shutters
We going to put shutters on the front windows and I...
Would LOVE some new paint color ideas for my DINING, LIVING and FOYER
I am tired of the gold and red in my dining room, living...
Which layout works better...
This is my basement family room. It will mostly be...
Please help with master bedroom on a BUDGET!
I posted na week or so ago but think in my post was...