Size of art above fireplace?
buckeyemamato2
I won the battle to not have our TV mounted above the fireplace and our built in bookcases/entertainment center is now complete. The dilemma is I need to buy a piece of art to hang above the fireplace to help keep the fireplace as the focal point. The size of that area above the mantel is approximately 79 inches across the mantel and 38 inches to the top of the molding on built ins. The ceiling in that room is about 13 ft. What would be an appropriate painting size? I am thinking a painting of birch trees.....then the question becomes framed or just stretched on canvas. Also, should I keep the mantel free of candles etc if I am able to get a significant piece of art. Appreciate all thoughts and suggestions
earita
There's a lot going on here. I would add a large horizontal mirror with substantial frame. Artwork may get lost in all the patterns created by the books.
July 17, 2013 at 7:07am      Thanked by buckeyemamato2
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
Do you get a lot of natural/ direct light on that portion of the wall? I would consider that when making my decision - if so a stretched canvas will be the better choice.
July 17, 2013 at 7:11am      Thanked by buckeyemamato2
Vivian
As an oil painter, I am biased and love the idea of the birch trees and love that you won that TV do not belong above fireplaces. Best is .5 to 1 inch on sides and bottom smaller than your space and vertical to the top of the book cases so that you do not extend into the area up to the ceiling. Keep it vertically smooth. No frame, the frame is the built in.
July 17, 2013 at 7:13am        Thanked by buckeyemamato2
buckeyemamato2
In answering Lori's question about natural light...to the left of the TV you will find french doors that lead to a sunroom that houses a wall of windows.....so we do get some natural light but not as much as I thought we would. I usually end up turning on the recessed lighting even during the afternoon sometimes. Leaning toward stretched canvas as I never really thought about the frame being the built in - thank you so much Vivian for sharing that observation with me!
July 17, 2013 at 7:31am   
Should I remove these cabinet doors?
We are painting the hardware in our kitchen this weekend...
French limestone fireplace
Hello everyone :) I need some help about the fireplace.......
Need help on color scheme in bedroom/bathroom
I painted my bedroom walls Barren Plain the ceiling...
Need help figuring out what stain to put on my knotty pine in cabin
New construction-- want to use knotty pine in my log...