Affordable options to open up this supporting kitchen wall and add cou
sherilehmann
Hello everyone, I am looking to open up my kitchen to view the living room and add counter space without spending crazy amounts of money, so my thoughts here are to add base cabinets in either the same dark cabinetry as the rest of the kitchen and giving it all a new countertop (I'm thinking a greyish laminate or carrera marble type laminate) or doing white cabinets with light wood butcher block countertop. I love the look of option 2 but how to make it cohesive with everything else? I'm also planning to do a white beadboard backsplash and adding brushed nickel door hardwear, and replacing the lighting with cans and under cabinet. As far as opening up this wall, I'm open to suggestions! Thank you!
Dar Eckert
It looks like an island would work in the corner where you are removing the wall. Can you remove the wall between he living area and the short wall that abuts it? Then you can steal area from the adjoining rooms for counter and stools.
July 17, 2013 at 8:48am     
sherilehmann
Thank you for the suggestions, the wall is a supporting wall so I'm thinking of cutting it open and taking out the half wall to the left.
July 17, 2013 at 11:00am   
Amy Thompson
I had almost the exact set up we moved the stove into the island and made a peninsula/bar out of that wall
July 18, 2013 at 5:23am     
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
If you are thinking about opening a wall you need to bring on an architect or structural engineer for advice.
PyramidDG.com
July 18, 2013 at 4:36pm   
cmdardia
Amy, could you send more images? I have the same kitchen and would love to see how it all flows together.
July 19, 2013 at 7:41am   
Marilyn Wilkie
A good carpenter/contractor can help you here. Our go-to guy opened up our kitchen to the living room (bearing wall) by suspending a beam up over the ceiling so that it doesn't show. The ceiling between the two rooms just flows. We would never have thought of that. We knew we needed professional help in this case.
July 19, 2013 at 8:00am   
Amy Thompson
cmdardia I have before during and after pics posted in my project you can see at (I am still organinzing the pics so their kind of all over the place)
July 19, 2013 at 8:55am     
Supporting a loft after opening up a wall
I've recently opened up our kitchen/dining room by...
want an open kitchen living space. Loft and possible supporting wall
I have an older home 1985. The kitchen has 8 ft ceilings...
Help!!! Affordable options for this kitchen
My husband and I are buying this house. While we HATE...
Remodelling antique teak wood cupboard
The cupboard is old teak wood. It is very heavy for...
need tips for sprucing up my curb appeal
I own a 70s brick ranch. I have been working on curb...
Need Idea for my new loft!
I need help with layout and furnishing my loft!
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...